PDA

View Full Version : Huntington 9/12 (long read)

LuckyCraft420
09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
So I get off work at 1530, and make my way to Huntington. Arrive at 1540 to find out when rushing out the door this morning, I forgot my tackle bag and sandals at home -_-. So I am only armed with a BSP LC, 3/8 oz. sliding sinkers, and swivels (no hooks). I figured I've given out enough gear to have some good carma come my way, so I took the trout pole with me. I get to the beach to find the beach deserted. No 1 in with water for a half mile in each direction.

No seaweed in sight, fairly strong winds, 1-2ft waves, and a strong NW current. I start casting. 20 mins and 40 yards later, I girl comes walking up to me and asked, "have you seen the movie cast away too many times?" I replied, "he used a spear not a fishing pole." We shared a laugh and she had an on slot of questions. As I am answering her questions, I get a hard slam but set the hook late due to giving her most my attention. I wasnt mad, she was hottie in her mid 20s. I quickly cast into the same spot and start reeling in. Bam!!! Hook set, fish on! This girls eyes damn near popped out of her face. I lightened the drag and handled the pole over to her. She was smiling from ear to ear for 5 minutes reeling in, to find a Leo in the 20" range. I quickly got it unhooked and released. We went on talking for another 15 mins. until she had to go. But not before we made a date for this weekend Back to focused fishing. I can see Leo's racing around in the shallows like bats out of hell. Prior to that I was working the LC as slow as I could with keeping the slack out of my line. I get the idea to speed things up since I see them moving fast. I cast into there general direction and start ripping the LC threw the water. 3 casts in, and I get slammed again. My line starts peeling, and I'm standing there waiting for my turn. Before I know it, 1/2 the line is gone from my reel (only 120 yard cap.), so I check my drag. Waaaaaay too lose. I tighten up and then it didn't feel so big. I brought it in 2 mins later to find a 24-26" Leo. After releasing it I check my line for an kinks. All clear of kinks, but I found a small knot with a loop hanging off the side. I knew it either jam in the reel or an eye of the rod. So instead of chancing the lose of an LC, I decided to call it a day.

At this point it's about 1730, and I'm just about to my car when I see 3 guys pumping for ghost shrimp. I couldn't resist going over to see if they had found any. They found a few, and after talking to them, and sharing a smoke, they offered me a hook. I was right about to leave, but why not try the carolina rigged SC (plentiful everywhere). First cast with 2 thumb nail sized crabs on it, I get nibbled but went for an early hookset. The waves at this point were 3-4', and with the currents, my 3/8 sinker was being thrown into shore. 45 mins later, no bites, time to go home (or is it...?)

So I'm on my way to the car when I'm looking inland of 1 of HBs inlets, and I see people fishing 100+ yards back into there. I saw them earlier and wondered how fishing might be, but continues moving to my AO. I get to my car, get cleaned up, pack up my gear, and get in the car. I look at my phone, 1800. With traffic not over yet, I figured it would be a great time to try a new AO.

I put my shoes on, walked under the bridge, rock hoped 100+ yards, and finally made it down there. I ran into a cool guy who I'm sure will check out the site. He gave me some good info on the location since he lives just around the corner. All of a sudden, big dark green silverado pulls up. Dfg is back (saw them at my AO a few days ago). This time I think they found who they were looking for. I set down my rod and started climbing up the rocks to see the 2 dfg guys walking away from our direction, and down towards the family 20 yards to our left. The guy thru some fish back before the agents were able to make it there, but he didn't toss them all (I dk why..). But all of a sudden I see them confiscating the bucket and there both looking inside. Out come the to ticket book. Kind of seemed like someone fishing there earlier had called caltip, cause those agents seemed like they knew who they were looking for. Anyway, I went back to fishing with Paul.
He switched to a drop shot and caught a dink calico. It's now 1900 hours, the wind and wet clothes combo is starting to make me cold. So I really decided to call it a day, haha. 2 Leo's, 1 date, 4 new friends, and watching justice being served. I'll take it!

SP Dan
09-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Hi ya OCFishing420,

That was quite an adventure read with so many twists and turns to it!

Thanx for the interesting read!
I can't wait for your follow up report on your fishing date w/ pic's :Big Smile::Applause:

"2 Leo's, 1 date, 4 new friends, and you watched justice being served to poachers!" .... not a bad day indeed! :Cool:

I hope to hook it up with you at the up coming HG-4!

SP Dan <"))><

DockRat
09-13-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanx for the interesting read!
I can't wait for your follow up report on your fishing date w/ pic's :Big Smile::Applause:
SP Dan <"))><

X2, And we don't want the fish pics. :Smile:
DR

FKNChristopH
09-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Good stuff on the Leo's.. I fished the bolas chica inlet yesterday morning for the tides and caught nothing lol.. I still new to surf fishing but my buddy got a short halibut and another cool dood caught a couple shorts too..

LuckyCraft420
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks. I have pictures but photobucket doesn't work correctly on my IPhone. I can upload pictures, but it won't let me view the URL so I can copy and paste it... I gave my mom my laptop about 6 months ago so that's not an option (her computer was a P.O.S).

Dan: I've marked the HG4 event on my calendar. I'll be there.

Mr_Dunev
09-14-2012, 01:01 AM
I have never caught a LEO and I am envious of you :Envious: Great job out there and I'll see you at HG4 :)