PDA

View Full Version : Porpoise sightings

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
When returning to San Pedro on a cruise ship over the weekend, the Capt. had a whole day + to return to port arriving at 7:30am Monday. Sunday, In the early evening hours, I had gone outside of my stateroom with a balcony for a smoke and in the lights from the ship I had noticed quite a few (maybe 30) porpoise surfacing and swimming around near the ship. I estimated that we were about half way between Ensenada and San Diego, about 10 miles from shore.
Now, from my experiences fishing for tuna out of San Diego, tuna are usually hanging down below dolphin/porpoises.
I haven't seen any reports of tuna sightings yet, could this be something a returning boat from Baja could check out, or ???????
Just an observation from a fellow tuna fishing enthusiast

sashimi
04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
When returning to San Pedro on a cruise ship over the weekend, the Capt. had a whole day + to return to port arriving at 7:30am Monday. Sunday, In the early evening hours, I had gone outside of my stateroom with a balcony for a smoke and in the lights from the ship I had noticed quite a few (maybe 30) porpoise surfacing and swimming around near the ship. I estimated that we were about half way between Ensenada and San Diego, about 10 miles from shore.
Now, from my experiences fishing for tuna out of San Diego, tuna are usually hanging down below dolphin/porpoises.
I haven't seen any reports of tuna sightings yet, could this be something a returning boat from Baja could check out, or ???????
Just an observation from a fellow tuna fishing enthusiast

hope the seiners don't clean up this year out there.

sansou
04-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Interesting that you mention this...

Last week a couple of the local San Diego TV stations have been reporting that some of the local whale watching boats have been running into dolphin "aggregations", also known as "superpods". They showed some footage of the football field size of crashing dolphins and estimated about 1000 dolphins that particular day they shot video!

The captain was asked about his thoughts and he dryly responded that it makes the customers happy, and that takes the pressure of him to find whales. Ha ha!!

Cabodude
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Anybody have any information about schools of dolphin and the tuna relationship? I've trolled many times near or through dolphin schools, but have never caught a tuna near them. I've heard that the dolphins do a special jump or aerial when they have tuna under the pod. Can anybody confirm or tell me what they do when they have tuna under them?

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-29-2007, 06:46 AM
Hey Cabo, in my past 2 and 3 day trips out of San Diego we've experienced the dolphin sightings and have done the same, trolling thru them, and maybe once hooked into some tuna. The captains have always said that they are metering lots of tuna below the dolphins but it can be hard to get them up to the surface to bite, since when chumming the dolphin seem to pick off the offerings so we have to fish deep, either by yoyoing jigs or weights with bait. Pretty much after a couple gets hooked up the school seems to follow to the surface and sometimes can be a wide open bite, which is what we're always hoping for :wink: