PDA

View Full Version : short hike-in lakes

golfish
09-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Hey all,
My son and I are heading up to Mammoth this Friday for a 5 night stay. I'm looking for some lakes that we can hike into but I have to keep the hike less then 2 miles (one way). He's too young to hike further and I'm too old. I see there are a few lakes behind George, Rock Creek Lake and Upper Virgina. Do these lakes hold fish?

I'll have the tubes but I'm thinking neither one of us can carry them and the gear for more then a 1/2 miles. I'm just thinking some bubble and fly action..catch n release only.

Thanks

Mark

DEVOREFLYER
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Everything you wanted to know located on this site. Good fishing.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/mammothbc.htm

fishfinder
09-11-2012, 07:47 PM
try the one above horseshoe. its only 1/2 mile hike. straight up though. arrowhead had lots of brookies when i was there last and might be easier to fish from shore. it is pretty shallow too.

cpt_majestic
09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
The lake above George is nice, really easy hike probably a mile at most....I think it's called crystal lake but don't quote me on that

I leave Tuesday for 5 days

paintsn
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
try the one above horseshoe. its only 1/2 mile hike. straight up though. arrowhead had lots of brookies when i was there last and might be easier to fish from shore. it is pretty shallow too.

yup thats Mcleod Lake, its a very beautiful, serene place to be at.. its catch and release. Love being up there, plenty of natives that are very easy to catch.

but the upgrade hiking, I barely could make, was dying like a fish out of water.. I felt like i didnt how to walk, guess im too use to the polluted LA county air.. but many elderly ladies/gents twice my age walk back and forth like it was nothing.

my suggestion would be take the bus and hike to rainbow fall at Red Meadow! lots of nice size brownies! its like killing two or three or what every you want to compare with, with one stone.. great decent hike, and an amazing sight to see with the icing of bites after bites of fish to catch. and not to mention even a two year old could hike there.. for i had plenty to lil ones with me on several occassions. and nope, i dont think my two year old could hike from Horshoe to Mcleod

good luck, have fun and please do post many pictures. I misses it

fishfinder
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
yup thats Mcleod Lake, its a very beautiful, serene place to be at.. its catch and release. Love being up there, plenty of natives that are very easy to catch.

but the upgrade hiking, I barely could make, was dying like a fish out of water.. I felt like i didnt how to walk, guess im too use to the polluted LA county air.. but many elderly ladies/gents twice my age walk back and forth like it was nothing.

my suggestion would be take the bus and hike to rainbow fall at Red Meadow! lots of nice size brownies! its like killing two or three or what every you want to compare with, with one stone.. great decent hike, and an amazing sight to see with the icing of bites after bites of fish to catch. and not to mention even a two year old could hike there.. for i had plenty to lil ones with me on several occassions. and nope, i dont think my two year old could hike from Horshoe to Mcleod

good luck, have fun and please do post many pictures. I misses it

yea that hike to mcleod is a brutal uphill battle. i made it in 20 minutes last time i went, and was dyeing for oxegen at the top. i walked all the way around the lake and there was snow on the other side. this was about 8 years ago. warning: if you walk around the lake it is quite painful climbing through all the brush at the outlet.

golfish
09-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Thank you all for the tips, I'm lookng forward to seeing and fishing new lakes.

golfish
09-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks again, Lake Arrowhead was a great hike. I didn't pack all the stuff we needed to rig bubble and fly so we just threw small spinners, caugh only two brookies but it was great. The fish were stacked up at the inlet, must of been a 1000 fish there and no people. On our way down we ran into a few people packing in fly rods...I wasn't thinking.

Sierra Bob
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Go up to Virginia Lakes and hike up past the larger lake. Only about a quarter of a mile on a nice trail and almost no altitude gain. No one will be there. It is called Blue Lake

Guest Who
09-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Don't feel bad, I'd fished those 1000 stacked fish at the arrowhead inlet with flies, only 1-2 will actually bite. The ones there don't bite like in the rest of the lake.