PDA

View Full Version : Clemente Bassin' on Saturday

Seatech
08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Woke up Saturday morning at 3:30am and started loading the boat for a trip to Clemente. Walk out the door and there is already a "noticable" west wind blowing. I'm thinking, this is not a good sign :shock:

Met EJ and Tom at Davies to buddy boay and we go outside the harbor. Not too much wind and after a pretty flat ride to the East End of Cat off to Clemente. Really nice ride all the way over.

Jeff and I pull into a spot around the backside and 2nd cast I hang a 6lb fish and Jeff get's a nice 4lb+ fish. We work this one rock for about an hour and end up with 20+ fish, most in the 3-6lb range. Got em on iron and #5 Pearl Swimbaits.

Jeff with a colorful model

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/DSC_0151.JPG

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/DSC_0152.JPG

Had a big 8lb fish blow up on a jig and miss, did the drop back and he hit and missed a 2nd time...

Eric & Tom joined us and we moved back around the East End and had a slow pick inside and then moved to some of the out kelps, and for another 60 minutes, it was pretty wide open with bass busting bait in the kelp matts and stringers. At one point I had 6 fish on 6 casts.

Got 'em on Sluggos, Pearls and 5" Mission Fish swimbaits.

Had another HUGE fish come up next to the boat and try to eat a swimbait out of a hooked fish's mouth. The larger model actually bit the bait in 1/2 and swam off with it's reward.

Worked our way towards Pyramid and got a few more nice fish on the iron

http://www.senortuna.com/pics/data/500/DSC_0156.JPG

By 2pm the wind was howling, maybe we should have left at noon like we talked about :lol: :lol: :lol:

4 hours to get back to Alamitos, just BRUTAL!!!!!

The swells were so tight that we literally missed running INTO and over a marlin by about 5 feet on the return trip home. Haven't seen a tail walk like that in some time!

Good times either way!!!

Ed

JapanRon
08-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi Seatech,

Nice report and pics .......... thanks!

Too busy to make a report this week-end but I was on an O/N charter to Clememte ... fishing Thursday. Awesome grade of Calicos ...... will post a report by tomorrow night.

Had to be nice fishing your own boat.

thanks again,

JapanRon

one_leg
08-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Ed, those are some real beauties, congratulations to you both.

One_Leg

Fisher-of-Men
08-26-2007, 09:09 PM
One_Leg is right!

Those are some beauties :!:

Fisher-of-Men

Greg Madrigal
08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
:shock:
Damn Ed!

You guys don't mess around out there!!!!!!!

Sweet report, I'll give you.............2 pages on this one! :wink:

GM

4g63power
08-26-2007, 11:35 PM
way to go on beautiful calico fish...thanks for the report

D-PESCADOR
08-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Great size calicos way to kill them

dschmaltz
08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Great pics and report.

I took my nephew that is currently serving in the Navy in SD for his first successful ocean trip to Barn Kelp. Even though he caught barracuda, bonita, & about a dozen calico, I think that the 14 miles ride from Barn Kelp area to Dana Point will stand out even more so than the fishing.

I was so busy driving the boat that I never thought to take photos; there were a few boats and sailboats on the way home and the wind waves were crashing over the bows on the small sailboats and boats will literally almost airborne when they hit the monster wind waves. Would make for cool pics but our ride home was 1.5hrs for 14 miles. So much for the 10 knot forecast.

I won't ask if you got wet on the way home because I know the answer; what size is your boat?

Seatech
08-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I won't ask if you got wet on the way home because I know the answer; what size is your boat?

LMAO!!! I spent more time in and underwater on the ride home than I do on an average surf trip!!!!

My boat is 18 feet long!! This was the first trip ever in my boat that the auto bilge pump started running and I have "self bailing" cockpit too.

Today I feel like I am recovering from going a few rounds with Mike Tyson!

Ahh, but I'd still do it all over again just to see those big fish blowup on the offerings!!!!

Ed

ironshrimp
08-29-2007, 11:00 AM
nice bull calicos!!!!

Greg Madrigal
08-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Damn Ed.

You got some BALLS OF STEEL! to hit clemente on yo 18 footer! Apparently, its worth it.

GM

Seatech
08-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Damn Ed. You got some BALLS OF STEEL!
GM

I do, but my wife keeps them locked up under the sink and doesn't let me take them out to play anymore :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: