PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Masters.... Pick Your Partner or Random? (Poll)

TaperSteve
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Irvine Lake has always done a random draw for partners in the Masters tournament? For the King of the Cats though they allow us to pick our partners. I decided to create this poll to ask their customers and Masters participants which one you would prefer.

I understand why Vineline and the board of directors are hesitant to allow us to pick our own partners for the Masters as there is a history of a lot of shenanigans going on during trout season. Maybe if this poll is in favor of allowing us to pick our own partners Vineline and the board of directors can consider making the change.

"Taper"Steve

Rooster
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I actually never understood why they dont allow you to pick YOUR PARTNER at the masters.
Trout Masters in daylight while each angler wearing NEON VEST.

KOC aka the cat people pick there partners when they fish in the dark and staff cant monitor them at all? hmmmm
If there was going to be cheaters one couldnt ask for a better opportunity.

The rules should be the same! Either way, but make them the same!

cutbait
09-10-2012, 07:52 PM
With the history of the lake..

I think draw is best

Big Daddy
09-10-2012, 07:56 PM

I think draw is best

It's not the Lake. They just have alot of Tourneys and money does funny things to the Dems (I mean some people) it clouds there vision you should now that by that other post. lol

Big Daddy
09-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I vote for pick a partner. Your getting an early start I see Steve maybe it should also be held in February or March also.

Rooster
09-10-2012, 08:02 PM

I think draw is best
Actually i think they cleaned it up nicely.
The rules at the masters are much much better then in years past.

No more chasing trout down the shore! Love that new rule! :Thumbs Up:

JAG107
09-10-2012, 08:11 PM
I say let the participants pick their partner. I think there could be a potential for 2 random boat partners to not 100% agree on where/how to fish, whether it be bait or troll. "You're going too fast, no don't go over there it's no good", etc. And who's to say 2 random partners wouldn't try to come to some sort of "agreement" if they were of questionable eithics, anyway? There's probably enough eyes and ears on the water in broad daylight anyway to make sure nobody'd be shaking off any dinks IMHO.

5150fishn
09-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I say pick your partner would be great based on the fact that if you know one's fishing style fits yours then it makes for a more comfortable situation. I believe that the Vine has done a great job working out the problems of this tourney though.

Hometown
09-10-2012, 08:38 PM
I would like pick your partner better .But first I need to qualify good luck everyone come this trout season

TaperSteve
09-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I vote for pick a partner. Your getting an early start I see Steve maybe it should also be held in February or March also.

If they were to decide to change the rule now'd be the time to do it before the Masters Series starts. A little over a month till the 1st qualifier so I figured now is as good a time as any for this poll.

I will post my personal opinion in a day or two but for now I am def in favor of picking our own partners.

TS

Marley
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

I think draw is best

Far too much history with the usual suspects. Draw partners. Ditto the earlier date, too.

PONTOON
09-10-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think it's fair to put any blame on the Lake in any way. There were issues in the past and I'm convinced they were resolved. I just feel that we all need to police ourselves when we participate in any tournament whether it is at Irvine or any other lake or any other tournament.

Me personally, I would much rather have the opportunity to fish with my regular fishing partner or a good friend but on the other hand the rules are set going into these tournaments and if the rules state that the final tournament pairings are to be made from a draw then we need to accept it or not participate.

I have always enjoyed any tournament or event that I have participated in at Irvine Lake and my hat goes off to the Irvine Lake Staff for working as hard as they do to give us the opportunity to compete and have a great time and to make the event as fair as possible.

Marley
09-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't think it's fair to put any blame on the Lake in any way. There were issues in the past and I'm convinced they were resolved. I just feel that we all need to police ourselves when we participate in any tournament whether it is at Irvine or any other lake or any other tournament.

Me personally, I would much rather have the opportunity to fish with my regular fishing partner or a good friend but on the other hand the rules are set going into these tournaments and if the rules state that the final tournament pairings are to be made from a draw then we need to accept it or not participate.

I have always enjoyed any tournament or event that I have participated in at Irvine Lake and my hat goes off to the Irvine Lake Staff for working as hard as they do to give us the opportunity to compete and have a great time and to make the event as fair as possible.

Great reply. Teams like you and Chris should be allowed to fish together. Maybe allow teams for those who have a fishing partner and draw for those who don't? Whatever, as long as there's no drama.

cutbait
09-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Terry, your reading too much into it.... Participants are the problem, noone is bashing the lake itself or its operation..

cutbait
09-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Isn't the masters the tourney chain with all the "pro staffers?" Real or otherwise

PONTOON
09-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Terry, your reading too much into it.... Participants are the problem, noone is bashing the lake itself or its operation..

Mike, I would agree that "some participants" were the problem. But, your first comment "with the history of the lake" was easily misinterpreted and not only by me.

cutbait
09-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Mike, I would agree that "some participants" were the problem. But, your first comment "with the history of the lake" was easily misinterpreted and not only by me.

Its cleared up now, thanks

seal
09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I read the rules and not sure how the rules have been changed to avoid "chasing trout down the shoreline", think they need to add a visible inspection for hook holes/wounds in fish. Also having 2 partners that have not had a chance to formualte a plan for cheating is pretty important in a tournament that has as much money and prizes on the line as the Masters, having integrity in the tournament guaranteed will possibly attract more sponsorship, no legitimate sponsor would want to be involved in what has happened in the past.

I think in Irvines best interest it is better not to change, besides they match trollers with trollers and bait guys with bait guys they've done everything they can to make this work.

Rooster
09-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I read the rules and not sure how the rules have been changed to avoid "chasing trout down the shoreline", think they need to add a visible inspection for hook holes/wounds in fish. Also having 2 partners that have not had a chance to formualte a plan for cheating is pretty important in a tournament that has as much money and prizes on the line as the Masters, having integrity in the tournament guaranteed will possibly attract more sponsorship, no legitimate sponsor would want to be involved in what has happened in the past.

I think in Irvines best interest it is better not to change, besides they match trollers with trollers and bait guys with bait guys they've done everything they can to make this work.

There were a few new rules added that were not on the list. The added rules such as NO "chasing trout down the shoreline" were told to all the anglers at the masters by Lake Manager VINELINE before we all hit the water.
Anyone doing so will be disqualified from the event!

the killa fish taco
09-11-2012, 03:18 PM
We should be able to float tube or Kayak the Master's if we qualify that way.

Big Daddy
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM

If that was the case then we would be able to fish in our private boats. I doubt this will ever happen but then again I didn't think I would see you fishin cat fish but I did:EyePop:I would vote yes to this.

See Chris Fish
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Going with draw for a this one.
First, This is a test of each anglers ability, not a fishing team.

Second, the higher chance of cheating with a known partner. As mentioned earlier, money does strange, sad things to otherwise honest people. Also it's dark. Very strange things happen at night time.

Third, If that's what the rules stated when you signed up, then those are the rules you agreed to. Even if you didn't take the time to read them.

Fourth, due to the shenanigans from last year, I support ANY decision Irvine Lake Staff chose to make to keep the integrity
of their tournaments from question.

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Going with draw for a few reasons.
First, it's KING of the Cats, not Team of the Cats. This is a test of each anglers ability, not a fishing team.

Second, the higher chance of cheating with a known partner. As mentioned earlier, money does strange, sad things to otherwise honest people. Also it's dark. Very strange things happen at night time.

Third, If that's what the rules stated when you signed up, then those are the rules you agreed to. Even if you didn't take the time to read them.

Fourth, due to the shenanigans from last year, I support ANY decision Irvine Lake Staff chose to make to keep the integrity
of their tournaments from question.

Chris look at the name of the thread and the text in the 1st post.... we're talking about the Masters not the King of the Cats.

In the King of the Cats they do allow us to pick our own partner thus the team names we've been coming up with in the other thread (for fun and sh*t talking). So we could call it the Team of the Cats really.

and this years Masters series hasn't started yet and I do agree that if they were to change this rule it'd have to be before the 1st qualifier which is over a month away. Plenty of time for them to change the rule if they were to choose to.

TS

PS - Even if you didn't take the time to read the thread name or the main post! Sorry had to say it....

seal
09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
There were a few new rules added that were not on the list. The added rules such as NO "chasing trout down the shoreline" were told to all the anglers at the masters by Lake Manager VINELINE before we all hit the water.
Anyone doing so will be disqualified from the event!

That's kind of a hard one to identify, so this means no so called "sight fishing"?

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 08:16 PM
That's kind of a hard one to identify, so this means no so called "sight fishing"?

Yes, that's exactly what it means.... no sight fishing! While I'm sure he isn't the only bad apple in the bundle there is one person you can blame for that and alot of the other past shenanigans. Irvine Lake did a magnificant job at ousting the guilty party and guess what.... he's been banned for life!

TS

Thisfool
09-11-2012, 08:24 PM

yup thats what i think.

float tube and kayak is much different then fishing from a boat and can really throw off a persons fishing style

seal
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Yes, that's exactly what it means.... no sight fishing! While I'm sure he isn't the only bad apple in the bundle there is one person you can blame for that and alot of the other past shenanigans. Irvine Lake did a magnificant job at ousting the guilty party and guess what.... he's been banned for life!

TS

Glad to hear it! Irvine has a special spot with me, got me back into being a serious fisherman again years ago, a special place.

Thisfool
09-11-2012, 08:28 PM

TS

wait so if im fishing and i see a fish im not aloud to cast to him to try to get him to bite? that don't make much since to me

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Believe me.... they got ALOT of eyes on us during the Masters Tournament. As long as we're wearing those BRIGHT NEON VEST it would be rather difficult to pull off any shenanigans rather if we're fishing with a buddy or a random partner.

I know for a fact there are people that have qualified who don't get along and what if by the luck of the draw you get paired up with somebody that you have a history with. Definetely a recipe for a very uncomfortable situation at the very least, and a disaster at worst.

and last Masters season there was a Father and Son who both qualified with the Father being of older age (needing help and such). Them not being able to fish together really affected the tournament for the boths of them.

Being vigilant and reporting any shenanigans should be a given either way. If you see someone cheating or bending the rules in any way shape or form, then call and report them. I've seen time and time again when people have come on here after the fact and cried "woulda, coulda, shoulda". Make sure you have the tackle shop's phone number saved in your phone, not only to have it on hand to report rule breakers.... but you never know one day it could be a life saver!

I think all the other rules (no private boats, shore fisherman have to fish in roped off areas, BRIGHT NEON VEST) and all the eyes they have on us during the tournament both staff and lake regulars who are helping keep an eye out.... all these things do ALOT to deter the cheaters.

and one last thing, what if you get paired up with someone with a drastically different style of fishing. That puts the boths of you at a big dis-advantage compared to those who get lucky and draw a buddy.

So obviously my vote is for allowing us to pick our own partners.

TS

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
wait so if im fishing and i see a fish im not aloud to cast to him to try to get him to bite? that don't make much since to me

During the tournaments your not allowed to chase them down the shoreline anymore. At the Masters they roped off all the shore fisherman and I think if you wanted to move spots you'd have to call the tackle shop but I may be wrong on that last part.

TS

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Below are the current rules for the Masters Invitational Tourament with the rule in question in RED.

Official Rules Day of the Master's Invitational:

Contestants will be allowed to fish from shore or boat.

Irvine Lake will provide one motorboat per every 2 contestant, no private boats will be allowed. Boat pairings are determined by blind draw. Troller's will be paired with troller's and bait fishermen will be paired with bait fisherman.

Tournament hours are from 6:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. First weigh-in time will be at 10:00 a.m. final weigh-in will be at 2:00 p.m.

Any angler caught fishing prior to 6 a.m. will be disqualified.
Campers may not occupy shoreline prior to 6 am.
Rods may not be set up on shoreline prior to 6:00 am.
Boats parked in rental slips may not leave dock prior to 6 a.m

You will be allowed to weigh in only (1) single largest trout. This includes a rainbow, brown, steelhead or brook trout. There is a 5 fish limit, any angler caught catching more than a limit or catching and releasing will be automatically disqualified.

Once a trout is certified by weigh master the fish is considered an offical catch

2 rod maximum will be strictly enforced.
No Hook and Hand

No live bait is permitted except for night crawlers, mealworms & wax worms.

Any fish intentionally foul hooked or snagged will be disqualified. Any fish that comes out of the water with a hook attached to it's dorsel fin or tail will not count. The hook must be inside the fish's mouth. No exceptions. No Hook and Hand.

Lagoon fish do not count.

All contest ties are decided by order of weigh-in time for each angler’s individual catch.

Sign-in for tournament will be at 5:00 a.m. followed by a tournament briefing & complimentary continental breakfast.

Anglers must be at least 16 years of age to compete. Anglers between 16 and 18 yrs must show proof of age prior to competing and must have written permission by parent or guardian.

I don't see the new rule on there about no sight fishing but I'm sure it will be added in there before the series starts.

TS

JAG107
09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I also agree about allowing yaks and tubes. How can they call it the "Masters" if they only limit you to 2 styles: tin can rental boat or shore fishing? I think they should allow anglers to put their skills to work with their preferred method of fishing. And if they think its unfair to allow tubers to pound snaggers/woodys cove or boat dock cove with jigs and/or plastics knowing the big ones dont always move along from the place of stocking very quickly, maybe they should spread out the stocking by boat the way they do with Alpers up in the Sierras (1/2 submerged rental boat with the fish in it, they tow it along and shake them out in various places). JMHO
Good luck to everyone qualifying, I'll miss the first tourney due to travel plans but I'll be out there later for sure!

Big Daddy
09-11-2012, 09:05 PM
yup thats what i think.

float tube and kayak is much different then fishing from a boat and can really throw off a persons fishing style

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong who's eye's are you trying to pull the wool over there Young Fella.

Big Daddy
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
I also agree about allowing yaks and tubes. How can they call it the "Masters" if they only limit you to 2 styles: tin can rental boat or shore fishing? I think they should allow anglers to put their skills to work with their preferred method of fishing. And if they think its unfair to allow tubers to pound snaggers/woodys cove or boat dock cove with jigs and/or plastics knowing the big ones dont always move along from the place of stocking very quickly, maybe they should spread out the stocking by boat the way they do with Alpers up in the Sierras (1/2 submerged rental boat with the fish in it, they tow it along and shake them out in various places). JMHO
Good luck to everyone qualifying, I'll miss the first tourney due to travel plans but I'll be out there later for sure!

If you allow kayaks or tubes because that is the way you like to fish then you have an advantage over the rest of the people who are pulled out of there comfort zone(private boat also) come on guy's what is good for the Goose is good for you Ganders this is the best and most level playing field there is and I hate those boats but I will be in one the Lord willing. Peace Out Bros.

BD

5150fishn
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
As much as I love my yak and it is a style of fishing that I enjoy it is not a fair option considering that a person that is used to their own boat can't use theirs. Many private boaters are used to the comforts of their own boats amenities. By putting all in the rentals it levels the playing field in that one aspect. Meaning no one has fishfinders or downriggers. It is this way for a reason.

TaperSteve
09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I think a combination of the rentals and roped off shore space def helps to deter cheating. Makes it alot harder to stash a big fish, etc....

TS

troutdog
09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I like the pick your partner option, just like the KOTC.

See you at the lake!

TD

fishfnatic
09-12-2012, 08:03 AM
I like the idea of picking your own partner. I know it can lead to "shenanigans" but it also allows some sort of comfort in an uncomfortable situation (being plucked away from your familiarities while fishing, being a boat/tube/yak/ w/e).

With that said, I don't care what the rules are! I am going to attempt to make it into the masters this year!

Rooster
09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
As much as I love my yak and it is a style of fishing that I enjoy it is not a fair option considering that a person that is used to their own boat can't use theirs. Many private boaters are used to the comforts of their own boats amenities. By putting all in the rentals it levels the playing field in that one aspect. Meaning no one has fishfinders or downriggers. It is this way for a reason.
They actually allowed portable downriggers last masters. I wasn't aware of it until i saw several mounted on the back of rentals. And yes these were Master Qualifiers!

bluehunter
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Placing them in different areas of the lake is a good idea and used to be done years ago at Irvine. One other idea is stocking them days before the derby. Like on Wedneday/thursday. Which is also a good idea and can give the fish a chance to move around from where they dumped them at. It may make for tougher fishing this way but it could also even the playing field for boaters and shore fisherman alike.

JAG107
09-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Is it against the rules in the Masters to use portable downriggers and fish finders? They make both in models that can be clamped to the sides of aluminum rentals.
If Downriggers USED to be disallowed, was leadcore legal? If so, what's the difference if both setups basically accomplish the same thing (getting the lure deep)?
Is it really leveling the playing field though, what if some of the anglers fish from boats just like the rentals, or only rent boats at the lake? Wouldn't they then be at an advantage over those with other styles of boats/inflatables?

Rooster
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Is it against the rules in the Masters to use portable downriggers and fish finders? They make both in models that can be clamped to the sides of aluminum rentals.
If Downriggers USED to be disallowed, was leadcore legal? If so, what's the difference if both setups basically accomplish the same thing (getting the lure deep)?
Is it really leveling the playing field though, what if some of the anglers fish from boats just like the rentals, or only rent boats at the lake? Wouldn't they then be at an advantage over those with other styles of boats/inflatables?
All i know is 2 years ago at the masters use of portable downriggers and fish finders were NOT allowed. Last year i showed up very late and saw a few guys using a portable downrigger. I missed the breakfast, partner draw & rules. They must have made a few changes.

One thing i want to add that played out before my eyes. Showing up hours late to the Masters, I got to witness and hear the staff working on making sure everyone was playing by the rules. They really impressed me!

I wont give any of there secrets away. But i will tell you the walkie talkies were in full affect. Reports were coming into the security boat to investigate.

Highlight was while in the security boat to be dropped off. We dropped off Daniela at a secret location, watching her run up the backside of a hill to investigate a angler that was possibly not playing by the rules. I believe it turned out to be a false alarm, but the effort shown was incredible!

5150fishn
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Only Rooster could sleep in on the day of the Masters. Lol! Yes leadcore was allowed and aparently portable downriggers were also. So I guess another reason they probably can't open it to float tubes/kayaks would be if the number of people wanting to tube or yak was uneven then you have solo boat guys. But on the other hand, some might enjoy fishing by themselves. I guess that's why the Vine makes these decisions not me. Lol!

TaperSteve
09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Come on people get those votes in!

TS

vineline
09-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Good morning FNN:

Just wanted to chime in a little bit.
"Sight" fishing will strictly be prohibited this Season.
If you are on the shore,in a kayak or float tube and you see a fish and cast to it in the hopes that it will bite thats fine.
If you see the fish, chase it down and snag it, well thats a move that will get you disqualified.
We know the difference and if you know me at all you know I'm not scared to disqualify anyone cheating.
I am going to be diligent about looking for fish brought in, fish snagged, people fishing the night before, people putting weights in their fish,
people that catch and release etc....
Our staff, security, volunteers and all of you fishing the tournament are watching so cheating and destroying your reputation is not a wise thing to do.
You guys plunk down your hard earned money to fish these tournaments and my main concern is to keep these tournaments clean and the integrity of our tournaments intact.
Rooster is correct in saying that in years past down riggers were not allowed. Last year "the bosses" decided to allow it and thats how it goes. The Board makes the decisions
on what is allowed at the Masters because they are putting up the prize package.
I'm sure the poll is being watched carefully and taken into consideration.
The Masters tournament is not meant to be easy and of coarse we want to take everyone out of their comfort zone. Most of the qualifiers are very experienced fishermen
with the best equipment, boats, fish finders, down riggers and every gadget available under the sun..
So putting you in rental boats stripped down to bare essential puts everyone on an even playing field which is what we want.
It makes for an interesting and challenging event that tests all of your skills, patience and endurance.
P.s. I will be checking I.d's this season Lol.

I wish you all the very best of luck!