PDA

View Full Version : BBL 9/8/12 Four species

Mojave River Angler
09-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Went out from the observatory in the kayak with a friend. We started at sunrise and moved around the observatory trying to see what was biting. Started off with maybe a 2.5lb LMB and they got smaller after that. We worked the area from there to the east to the second set of slips closer to Juniper. More little bass and crappie. Since the wind was coming from the east we headed out to deeper water about 200' outside the bouys (the KILL ZONE if you are in a kayak) and drifted toward the observatory. Picked up more crappie (hand size) and a few trout with a tiny cat in the mix. Wasn't able to get any action at all west of the observatory this time out. Fished mostly with nightcrawlers and occasionally threw a lure or PB. Ended up with a crappie hanging off a thomas flasher. Fun day on the water for the most part. As usual the boating insanity was running at full tilt. Had a jetski go by at 20-25 close enough to splash us. So now the lake patrol number goes in the cell phone. I'm not putting up with that anymore.

MRA

JAG107
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the report, glad you got on some fish!
I saw some pretty clueless/rude boaters out there on Sunday as well. Had a jetskiier almost snag my topline with his throat about 20 feet behind my boat while I was trolling. Saw a wakeboard crew with a (no kidding) 8 foot tow rope pulling a guy in high speed circles around the sign in Boulder Bay that says "NO WAKE 3 MPH".
Guess I'll have to get that patrol # in my phone too!
Was my first time up there, but I'm a fan now! What a beautiful weekend to be out on the water.

Mojave River Angler
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Ya, the environment is great, but the population problem is huge. I'm not sure whether it is more dangerous than Castaic or not. I was just telling a friend that with the frequency of insanity I see on that lake I will either witness or be involved in an accident in a rather short amount of time. The law of avarages will catch up soon enought if I keep hanging around locations like that.

B safe out there.
MRA

flytyingreloader
09-11-2012, 01:22 PM
MRA et al--

That lake louse nonsense tends to abate after Labor Day Weekend when the air and water temps start to lower. I've been fishing BBL since 1967, and October is WITHOUT DOUBT the best month to fish that lake.