PDA

View Full Version : chasing the dorado Sat Sep 8 No take home but great day

JL
09-09-2012, 10:39 AM
My wife and I and 2 friends headed out at 7:30 am from Dana Point going South by Southwest looking for Kelp patties and Dorado. On the way we spotted an underwater Kelp area at about 15 miles... I just happened to see it go by on the meter and I was kind of taken by surprise. We quickly stopped and got our Sardines in the water. I had drifted off about 30 yards so turned and moved the boat back to the location. During that short "troll" my Wife hooked into a beautiful Dorado. It was about 20 yards off the bow heading to the starboard side and to the stern. We just were not ready for a hit so quickly after getting our bait out and while moving around to the stern she relaxed the tip for just a second and it was gone. What a great site to see this beautiful fish move on top of the water around the boat. It was very visible by all of us. We thought we had "hit" the spot. My sonar took that particular moment to stop reading. We had a difficult time getting back on the sunken kelp and continued to head out about 8 more miles.

Fished 4 other Kelp patties including one about 20 miles out that had 8 boats on this table top size kelp. It is kind of humorous site to see all these private boaters all around the kelp like it was some kind of IDOL and they were worshipping the Kelp. Did not see anyone pull any fish during the time we spent at this location.

The water temp was also different from last week. Inshore with in 3 miles the water temp had dropped to 64 - 66 degrees. We had to go 20 miles to see the 70 degree water we saw much closer last week. We hope the water heats up a little more this week.

I know this is not a positive "here are the fish" report but i hope the info helps those hunting the exotics. We will be back out a couple of times this week and we hope for better results

Tight Lines and God Bless

murrieta angler
09-09-2012, 04:58 PM
You gave it a shot and that's all you can do...:Smile:
How was the water clarity/
Robert
<><

JL
09-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Water was very clear.... All over the area we worked it was very clean!!! If fact we again for the 4th time this year spotted a number of California Sun Fish during some of our stops. As many as 10 - 15 were gathered around our boat and we could see them deep below us.

You gave it a shot and that's all you can do...:Smile:
How was the water clarity/
Robert
<><

Ambassadorhawg
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
I was out of Dana on my buddy's boat on Friday. We did the afternoon thing. Traveled out near the 267 doing about 22knots, then SE from there. Only found 4 tiny kelps all day long. Two of them had several Molas on them and the other 2 were empty. We did troll around, in front of and through two large porpoise pods. Nada. Water temp was high 60's to about 73. There was a NW wind dropping the temp as we fished. Clean water (purple grey) right on the beach at San Onofre. Saw a marlin jump right on the clean water edge about 2 miles out off Dana as we were getting our day started. There was one paddy that was surrounded by 5 PBers. One was hooked up to a baby Dodo. Very few working birds, no free swimmers. Devoid of life on that particular day. But we had fun anyway.