PDA

View Full Version : EPIC EPIC EPIC RECORD BREAKING - North of LA 9/8/12 Perchin' Dave (SWAT)

Perchin' Dave
09-08-2012, 11:23 PM
SWAT - Perchin' Dave and Brad Bayley did some recon for the day, and we started at grey light. We explored and fished three new beaches that we hadn't previously fished, north of Los Angeles for the first four hours of light. Brad was targeting halibut and corbina with no bites whatsoever and I was fishing my name (perch), that is, unless Brad saw some success and I would change out my rig. After a few hours we decided the water was too murky and the waves too big to be in the zone long enough to produce and determined we were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But not taking -no- for an answer we kept exploring. What started as a very bad day was about to change in a big way. At the fourth beach our persistence paid off. This particular area had a lot of smeg (kelp) in the water and for that reason I stayed with the carolina rig, it kept kelp off the hook, longer. First cast at beach for, a bunch of kelp. I saw some good structure, cast and hit and boom, first fish, 12" Barred Perch. Second cast, the same, third cast the same. And what started out as a very bad day was about to turn completely around. The bite was good enough that I didn't move for 45 minutes. 32 fish landed by perchin' dave. I watched Brad as he left and started working down the beach until he finally stayed put at a favorite hole. Well, we were supposed to be fishing together so I moved down beach to just before his spot. I was fishing the structure next to Brad and three consecutive casts yieled three BSP 9-12". I felt like I could do nothing wrong and Brad felt the same. By this time we had both caught over 40 fish each, mostly BSP. In about an hour. My next cast, boom, something big and off I went, trying to stay ahead of the fish to my advantage. Fishing my 6' stick with 8 pound has its disadvantages, it is great for perch but not for the larger variety. Off I went. I appreciated the coaching I received from Mikey (swat) on previous trips and pulled out all the stops. Off I went to the right to the rocks 1/4 mile. Once there the fish turned around and off I went to the left. The fish was almost effortlessly tiring -me- out, not the other way around. It was strong. I wasn't sure I would see the fish but was grateful I had changed out my 8 pound this morning so I could trust my gear without fearing losing the fish. Off I went to the left for almost a mile and the fish was about to find a tactical advantage and I knew I would have to force him in before it hit the spot. Working the waves I was able to beach the Leo (Leopard shark). 54", and 32 pounds. After the photograph and release session. I was spent and ready to call it a day, but not Brad. He was having too much fun.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4551.jpg
54" Leo

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4549.jpg

We started fishing side by side, the same hole and did a double hook up, boom. Next cast, the same, a double. Next cast the same, a double, next cast another double but one got off. This fishing was flat out amazing. Brad did not want to leave. He caught a 42" guitar fish, and I caught a couple, we both hooked up on another Leo but broke off twice.

Here's where we fished together .... Surf conditions
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4552.jpg

As we fished, we averaged a fish pulled out on every other cast for a couple of hours, total of 3.5 hours at this beach. We each caught 260 total in under four hours, 130 fish a new personal best for both of us. The 54" Leo tied my personal best off the beach, and the quantity and quality of the fish are excellent for this time of year (though smaller than the spring). Today was EPIC. It is gonna be tough the next time we go out .... but .... that's why they call it fishing, and not catching. Although I kinda felt like today was a 'catching' day, and not fishing. Sorry for so few photos, I could either take photos or catch a bunch of fish. Hey, what would you do?

Perchin' Dave (report)
and Brad Bayley

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4562.jpg
Here's a larger variety perch.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/davesomm/IMG_4559.jpg
Brad Bailey, yet another fish?!!! Yeah. Fun fun FUN!

exfactor
09-08-2012, 11:39 PM
think you tied biggest Leopard caught so far this year Dave. hope Brad did a good tail grab for you. Would like to see a day like this on HG4!

Wingnut
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Wow is all I can say Dave... I'm blown away at the fish count. :EyePop: What a fantastic session! I'm heading out myself in a few hours and hope I can have a fraction of the success you guys had today. :Envious: A job well done for the Northern SWAT Crew. See ya at HG4!

Lucky Lager
09-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Awesome day, great leo!! Congrats Sir!
Way to beat the salad & thrive!

think you tied biggest Leopard caught so far this year Dave. hope Brad did a good tail grab for you. Would like to see a day like this on HG4!

Hey Mike, my 56" leo back in April doesn't count?? LOL

bones
09-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Awesome day out there boyz.....Looks like SWAT is ready to pull a full coastal assault here soon. Just got off the phone with the general and he is leading the assault on the southern flank with Robert. Other forces are standing on the southbay and I'm hitting the central area in a few minutes.

The enemy doesn't stand a chance.

Thanks for the Northern Intel Dave....Keep up the good work soldier!

frankjz
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Incredible. That's more fish than I've probably caught in my life! Beautiful shot of the leo. What a cool looking fish!

TaperSteve
09-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Really love the details in all the SWAT reports! Way to go guys.... keep the great reports coming!

TS

Tubbytuba
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
what a day man. i manage a few BSPs per trip on my 6wt but man never more than ten, WTG

murrieta angler
09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Holy Moly :EyePop:
That's just an incredible amount of fish and that leo got me beat by an inch...:Envious:
Great job out there and look forward to the next slay Dave!
Robert
<><

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
think you tied biggest Leopard caught so far this year Dave. hope Brad did a good tail grab for you. Hey Mikey, I tied my personal best and nope, Brad did not tail the fish so it took me longer to land. Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Wow is all I can say Dave... I'm blown away at the fish count. :EyePop: What a fantastic session! I'm heading out myself in a few hours and hope I can have a fraction of the success you guys had today. :Envious: A job well done for the Northern SWAT Crew. See ya at HG4!

Hey Arthur, how'd you do on Saturday?

The reason the count was this high is that the conditions did not change at all during the time we fished. They actually got better and better. (My previous best fish count from the shore was 78 in four hours, this tim 130 in 3.5 hours). It definitely helped to fish this kind of tide. Also, I think the fish felt safe with the salad. But when you know where to cast .... the fish didn't stand a chance. Oh yeah! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Awesome day, great leo!! Congrats Sir!
Way to beat the salad & thrive!

Hey Mike, my 56" leo back in April doesn't count?? LOL

CONGRATULATIONS Lucky Lager. Way to go!! What kind of setup were you fishing (pound test, stick, bait or other?) Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Awesome day out there boyz....Thanks for the Northern Intel Dave....Keep up the good work soldier!

Hey Bones, I thought of y'all to a couple years back when the conditions were so strong that y'all came up north. Yet, I don't think this day of fishing is common amongst the SWAT crew. NO lures could maneuver the salad. Brad fished a weedless hammer and finally went with the carolina rig because the sinker kept the salad of the hook a few seconds longer, the difference between a strike and not.

How did your day on the water go? Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
what a day man. i manage a few BSPs per trip on my 6wt but man never more than ten, WTG

Hey Tubbytuba, when the fish are there I am typically averaging 3-10 fish an hour, but, to be honest, it is because of the time I have put in on the water. I fished once to twice a day, 1-3 hours, every day, for two years. EVERY DAY. After that kind of time I picked up a thing or two. I discovered the beaches that produced, and the ones that didn't. On saturday we spoke to three fishermen on the way to the 'spot' and they had spent 3 hours catching, 5, 2 and 5 fish. And when we got to the spot and had such spectacular results, we were preparing our fish stories in case we ran into the same people. Like giving the typical answer of "we caught a couple" (and whisper hundred or so). We were only 20 minutes away from the other fishermen. One spot produced, the other didn't. I was able to figure this stuff out because of the 2 years of fishing .... To your BEST! Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Holy Moly :EyePop:
That's just an incredible amount of fish and that leo got me beat by an inch...:Envious:
Great job out there and look forward to the next slay Dave!
Robert
<><

Hey thanks Robert, to your best day ever! dave

SP Dan
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave,

"EPIC" to say the least! :EyePop:

WTG! :Big Smile::Applause: and on 8 pound mono! That had to have been some rush for you..I'm sure!
That is just.....ONE....HUGE....BEAST! Wow....54"! :Envious:
Your BSP count.... just amazes me! What a session!
A job well done Brotha!....definitely a strong showing for the Northern SWAT Crew. :Thumbs Up: See ya at HG4! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Perchin' Dave
09-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Hi ya Perchin' Dave,

"EPIC" to say the least! :EyePop:

WTG! :Big Smile::Applause: and on 8 pound mono! That had to have been some rush for you..I'm sure!
That is just.....ONE....HUGE....BEAST! Wow....54"! :Envious:
Your BSP count.... just amazes me! What a session!
A job well done Brotha!....definitely a strong showing for the Northern SWAT Crew. :Thumbs Up: See ya at HG4! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Hey SP Dan - I wasn't sure I was going to see the Leo at first, I was grateful for the tips Mikey gave me that gave me an edge. Halfway through an extra 3 pounds of kelp got on my line so I was not just fighting the Leo, but the kelp. I haven't ever handled a fish from shore that took me as far as I walked/ran on shore, thus my comments, the leo was tiring me out more than I, him. THE quantity of BSP was incredible and each catch looked unique (not previously caught). And then 4 guitar fish and a couple of break offs (must have been other leo's). All that time of learning fishing (two years, every day) really paid off and made for an incredible day. Make it a great one SP Dan! dave

DockRat
09-10-2012, 07:20 AM
HUGE numbers, congrats.
DR

Lucky Lager
09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Lucky Lager. Way to go!! What kind of setup were you fishing (pound test, stick, bait or other?) Perchin' Dave

Hey Dave,
I forgot to mention in my original reply....WTG on landing that beast on 8lb test!!
I was extatic to beach mine on 20lb, I couldn't imagine doing it with 8!
Here's the report from that battle, it also describes the gear I used & has pictures.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?63662-FINALLY!!-the-leo-i-ve-been-searching-for-all-my-life

LL

bloox8
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Wow.. That's a ridiculous amount of catches :EyePop:
I can't even imagine how awesome that day must've been because I get pretty excited around 10 catches LOL

Congrats to you Dave and your partner Brad!! Way to represent your screen name :LOL:

Thien

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
damn saweet....nice leo there......

Musta been a helluva battle in the surf....I've caught those in out of my skiff, I imagine with the wave / currents musta been a helluva deal to seal at the end on light tackle...

Nicely done sir : )

Gary

Perchin' Dave
09-21-2012, 03:50 PM
damn saweet....nice leo there...... Musta been a helluva battle in the surf....I've caught those in out of my skiff, I imagine with the wave / currents musta been a helluva deal to seal at the end on light tackle... Nicely done sir : ) Gary

YES, it was Gary. I didn't think I would see the fish but after I saw 'her' in the wave, I redoubled my effort and fought to the end. I hadn't rechecked my knots beforehand so I was a bit light on the drag and when I picked up the kelp .... I wasn't so sure I would land it. Matched my record at 32 pounds, quite the effort on 8# 6' 0" rod. dave

Perchin' Dave
09-21-2012, 03:52 PM
HUGE numbers, congrats.
DR

Yes, they were. Nothing quite like fishing the tides to make the bite last as long as possible. Be great today! dave

Perchin' Dave
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Wow.. That's a ridiculous amount of catches :EyePop:
I can't even imagine how awesome that day must've been because I get pretty excited around 10 catches LOL. Congrats to you Dave and your partner Brad!! Way to represent your screen name :LOL: Thien
Yes Thien, it was epic. We still found some good ones throughout the session, which is very unusual, wow! AND Congratulations on your 10, this day is not typical however. I have gone back four times and am in the 30-60 fish range, still enough to get me coming back however! To YOUR BEST! dave

bachiboy
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Dave,

I just realized, as I've been catching up on reading posts, that I somehow missed this one. WOW!!!!!!!! What an EPIC day. Congrats on getting that leo on 8lb. That is definitely a feat not shared by many...if any. Way to go on the perch slayage as well. It's pretty amazing, and encouraging, to see that catches like that are still possible these days off the Cali coast.

Way to go!!!
Don

blackwater
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Beautiful Leopard Shark Dave, looking forward to meeting you at HG4. :Cool:

Perchin' Dave
09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Hey Dave, I just realized, as I've been catching up on reading posts, that I somehow missed this one. WOW!!!!!!!! What an EPIC day. Congrats on getting that leo on 8lb. That is definitely a feat not shared by many...if any. Way to go on the perch slayage as well. It's pretty amazing, and encouraging, to see that catches like that are still possible these days off the Cali coast. Way to go!!! Don
Yes Don, it was INCREDIBLE, I went back several times and still had great days though the numbers were smaller. We even had a triple hook up on shovelnosed shark, three at the same time (no bait, grubs) at a follow up. But still thirty two to seventy-five in three hours was still a good day (5 days of going back). REALLY fun. The challenge on the Leo is my rod is a 6' 6" and it is tough to handle on that short of a rod, all arms. I was there two days back and the waves got huge and washed out all the amazing structure (still caught 75-80) but mostly smaller with the big waves and minimal structure. Perchin' Dave

Perchin' Dave
09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Beautiful Leopard Shark Dave, looking forward to meeting you at HG4. :Cool:

I'll be there, will be great to connect, oh yeah!

dlmoo312
09-30-2012, 03:12 PM
That's one mean looking shark! Sounds like an epic fight! Congrats on an amazing catch!

-Daniel

Perchin' Dave
10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
That's one mean looking shark! Sounds like an epic fight! Congrats on an amazing catch! -Daniel
YES Daniel, it was. After I caught it I was ready to call it a day but as it turned out I had another 60 fish that I would catch afterwards. It was just one of those amazing days. To your BEST Daniel! Perchin' Dave