PDA

View Full Version : Wassup with the carp?

Carptain_Bao
09-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I just dont like how people could just say stuff like "toss the carp into the trash can","carp is trash".
I just dont get why we are doing that? You wanna get it out from the water? Go ahead. Bowfishing, ok. Doughbait, ok. Flyfishing, sure. Snag em out the water and just toss em in the trash can. Does that make you a hero? I dont think. I treat everything with respect. I just hope respect fishing and themselves. Make use of the fish you catch or just release it.
Carp haters can bash me now go ahead

Askwhy
09-09-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm not going to hate on you because I feel the same way as you do. Fish for them .,eat them give them away or just release it because just throwing in the trash makes no sence to me as well it's the sport of fishing be it carp bass bluegill or catfish fishing is fishing I don't eat bluegill or catfish.but I would never throw it in the trash I release it for someone else to enjoy and catch another day. Just my 2 cents.

Tubbytuba
09-09-2012, 12:57 PM
i only catch and keep on occasion, like a big cat or a mess of pan fish. ive eaten carp before sort tasteless so there is no reason to keep them but that doesent mean throw them awsay. but. there is a pond up the street from me that i used to fish in all the time. some people thought it would be great if they released a few of them up there... they destroyed the bass and pan fish population because of they would destroy their nests. so i can see killing anyfish in the hopes of keeping an ecosystem stable... my 2 cents

seal
09-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Here we go again! Most do not want to kill for no reason but there are tournaments put on to kill as many as possible with the intent of lowering an invasive species (carp) population. It's not a hatred of the carp I can appreciate the game aspects of catching carp, but it is for population control. Not enough people want to take carp for food purposes (not a prized fish in this country for table fair) so they are not targeted and are beyond prolific.

You tell me what are the alternatives for population control?

By the way I have never wasted a carp and don't plan on doing it, it's just not my thing but I understand the need for population control and I'm not going to chastise others that use carp for fertilizer to grow their gardens, throwing them in the trash or on the shoreline creates a big stinky mess and should never be done, also it's illegal to discard and not use as this has been discussed before.

Skyler
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I've killed a couple hundred of them over the last summer's bowfishing. I have eaten many, but there is no way you could eat enough to reduce their numbers sufficiently. So a large portion end up as fertilizer, dog food, coyote bait, chum, etc. I do not stop when I have enough for dinner. I stop when I can't carry my bag anymore. Killing carp is not mean or wasteful. It's downright responsible. Remember, they do not belong here, and they do major damage to our lakes. I'd rather see them in the trash can than in a local lake.

seal
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I've killed a couple hundred of them over the last summer's bowfishing. I have eaten many, but there is no way you could eat enough to reduce their numbers sufficiently. So a large portion end up as fertilizer, dog food, coyote bait, chum, etc. I do not stop when I have enough for dinner. I stop when I can't carry my bag anymore. Killing carp is not mean or wasteful. It's downright responsible. Remember, they do not belong here, and they do major damage to our lakes. I'd rather see them in the trash can than in a local lake.

I wish Silverwood would allow bow hunting, I'd love to see you out there thinning the population out!

flyhigh123
09-10-2012, 03:59 PM
has anyone tried eating carp with the recipe as seen on "diners, drive ins, and dives" where they cut the fish, batter and fry?

Skyler
09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
has anyone tried eating carp with the recipe as seen on "diners, drive ins, and dives" where they cut the fish, batter and fry?

You really need to cook the hell out of them to even remotely soften the bones. And there are bones EVERYWHERE! I usually cook the larger ones whole and skinned in the oven for a short time, then remove all the meat with a fork, leaving most of the skeleton intact. You will still have to pick some bones out though. I fillet the small ones. You really need to know their skeletal system to eat them with a minimal amount of oral puncture wounds, lol. Or else use a smoker/pressure cooker.

vortec_cruiser
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
If you think that tossing a few carp in the trash will reduce their population, then you probably also think that not farting in public helps air pollution. It's not effective, and a waste of some nice game fish. By the way, I'm a total C&R fisherman, as is my adult son.

seal
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
If you think that tossing a few carp in the trash will reduce their population, then you probably also think that not farting in public helps air pollution. It's not effective, and a waste of some nice game fish. By the way, I'm a total C&R fisherman, as is my adult son.

So your answer is let um take over? Don't know where you fish but some lakes the carp population is completely out of control and the individuals in charge of the fishery have decided they need to be thinned out to have a healthy lake.

Do you think there are no problems with carp populations in some of our lakes? Once again I ask if you do agree some lakes have a carp population problem and they are impacting the fishery how do you propose to control their population?

I don't mean to be a jerk about this but I really don't no where you guys are going with this, I know you appreciate the carp fishing but really there is a problem in quite a few lakes and they need to be controlled, at least in my opinion.

Not sure why you being a C&R fisherman has much to do with this discussion either.

Skyler
09-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Well, the carp huggers have two choices.

1. Pool your money together until you have the billions necessary to capture and relocate them to asia.

2. Start killing them to preserve our native game fish populations.

Otherwise, you are a hypocrite. Releasing a few bass is pointless of you are turning a voracious invasive scavenger loose on them as well. It may make you feel better about yourself, but in reality, one carp can kill millions of bass eggs per year.

etucker1959
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I am the one of the biggest local pond fisherman in this parts. So my opinion is based only on observation. With that being said, I think the carp in the local ponds is the greatest kept secert there is. There big and fight real hard and bite year round. As far as hurting the bass population in the local ponds, don't the bucket fisherman do the real damage. Think about it for a minute, there's carp in all the local ponds and bucket fisherman yet the bass still survive. Don't forget about the comorants, I see them eat so many baby bass in the fall it makes me sick. So how much damage do the carp really do in the local ponds, I would say not enough to worry about, so make sure you C&R all of them, because they sure are alot of fun to catch.

TUNAVIC
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Last one I caught was,about 25lbs at Legg Lake,when I got it to the shore there was at least 3 others the same size rolling and following the hooked one.
I was fishing for bass and did not want to keep it,since I always see people there fishing for carp,to keep,I just started walking with the fish and had two people who fortunately wanted it.
I myself would have not throw it in the trashcan,if not released I would just hope we could find a more noble use for this hard fighting fish.
I'm talking about the common carp we catch in our local lakes and ponds,not the Asian flying carp.

Cya Tuna Vic

seal
09-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Well I can say one thing about the carp the bobcat's and coyote's love um, I've seen many times they are hunting in the shallows during the spawn.

Examples so far have been inner city lakes and I am not familiar with the populations of carp in those lakes, I am familiar with many other lakes that definitely have a population issue. Big bear has had to reintroduce SMB and LMB because of population crashes and the biologists there are all over trying to remove as many carp as possible and I think the same is true for Elsinore and certainly is true for Silverwood, between the stripers and carp the LMB's are doing a good job of surviving at Silverwood but I think Silverwood's forage is ridiculous so there is enough life to support it, just my observations and no science behind it.

Skyler
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I am the one of the biggest local pond fisherman in this parts. So my opinion is based only on observation. With that being said, I think the carp in the local ponds is the greatest kept secert there is. There big and fight real hard and bite year round. As far as hurting the bass population in the local ponds, don't the bucket fisherman do the real damage. Think about it for a minute, there's carp in all the local ponds and bucket fisherman yet the bass still survive. Don't forget about the comorants, I see them eat so many baby bass in the fall it makes me sick. So how much damage do the carp really do in the local ponds, I would say not enough to worry about, so make sure you C&R all of them, because they sure are alot of fun to catch.

One largemouth bass can lay up to 20,000,000 eggs in a single season. One carp can eat ALL of them in a matter of minutes. Your observations cannot give you a proper frame of reference on this. You don't see the damage, because the fish are never born. If you think the bucketeers are worse than the carp, you are a little confused. They do not remove millions of bass from the ecosystem in a single sitting. There have been plenty of scientific studies done on this, and it has been determined that common carp are detrimental to all North American waters they inhabit. Your observations differ from those of the scientific community.

Tunavic, the common carp is an Asian species as well. They were brought to America in the 1800's as a food source. They were introduced to our waters accidentally when flooding inundated an aquaculture farm near the Mississippi. They have since proliferated at a rate that no native fish could ever keep up with.

vortec_cruiser
09-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Do you guys actually think that throwing a few carp up on the bank is going to significantly affect the overall well-being of a particular lake? I have fished local lakes for over fifty years, and they've always had carp in them. In that time the carp still haven't overtaken the other species of fish. And bass fishing is about as good as it has ever been.

By the way, since there was mention of the bass populations being impacted, tell me what kind of an impact tournament fishing has on the bass populations. Are you going to tell me that the survival rate of those fish is high? The only thing those fishermen are thinking about is getting big fish, and having them still wiggling at weigh-in.

Carptain_Bao
09-12-2012, 08:14 PM
It's sad how people think about those carp, from what I've seen they can be invasive but they are not as invasive as you guys think. They are tough fish, but they are vegetarian at most of the time. Dont see what they have done to the bass population, but I do have seen a lot of poacher at the city park lakes, in stead of killin the carp for no reason please bowfishing some poachers. Dont call us the hypocrites, think about it, carp doesnt consume more bass eggs than the bluegills, why don't you call the bluegills invasive?

Carptain_Bao
09-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Last one I caught was,about 25lbs at Legg Lake,when I got it to the shore there was at least 3 others the same size rolling and following the hooked one.
I was fishing for bass and did not want to keep it,since I always see people there fishing for carp,to keep,I just started walking with the fish and had two people who fortunately wanted it.
I myself would have not throw it in the trashcan,if not released I would just hope we could find a more noble use for this hard fighting fish.
I'm talking about the common carp we catch in our local lakes and ponds,not the Asian flying carp.

Cya Tuna Vic
You are right Tunavic, i havent seen those big head carp anywhere around in our local lakes, they are dangerous, not the commons.

Skyler
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
It's sad how people think about those carp, from what I've seen they can be invasive but they are not as invasive as you guys think. They are tough fish, but they are vegetarian at most of the time. Dont see what they have done to the bass population, but I do have seen a lot of poacher at the city park lakes, in stead of killin the carp for no reason please bowfishing some poachers. Dont call us the hypocrites, think about it, carp doesnt consume more bass eggs than the bluegills, why don't you call the bluegills invasive?

Do you have a biology degree, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express? Carp DO raid nests whenever the chance presents itself. Contrary to popular belief, carp are not vegetarians. They are omnivorous, and will happily eat eggs, crustaceans, insects, and even fry from time to time. A bass can chase a bluegill off its bed. Not a 20 pound carp. "Don't see what they have done to the bass population." You have never seen their population at the appropriate level, so you have no basis for comparison. As for "poachers" taking all the fish, look up some old black and white fishing photos from the region in the early 1900's, before the carp were established. You'll find plenty of pics of stringers with 20 bass, all over 5 pounds, and those guys would go out and do this EVERY week without putting a dent in the population...

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/173/391487141_cef362f69d.jpg

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/images/uploads/zikus_and_friday.jpg

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa358/heidstress/chuckytaylor_1000.jpg

http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-42-25190440.jpg?size=67&uid=5c936e20-9405-4ba6-8959-b482c33dae2e

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mA1QFxoEeoA1p0xqoQCrb3w.jpg

Seems to me that if angler take was the issue, then these guys would have ran out of fish really quick with all the fish they kept. Most bass anglers these days C&R. Something else is to blame here.

seal
09-13-2012, 07:41 AM
If you have ever observed a largemouth bass bedding when the carp are in the shallows the LMB's go absolutely nuts chasing away carp, it is more than obvious the LMB's know that the carp are a threat to their eggs/fry, even if you aren't a biologist and just an obervational fisherman you should know this.

Koontaj
09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Ya! I like to put a m80 in their mouth and blow them up..its pretty cool. Plus, I help keep the population down..since they are a menace to the bass society. This reply is not to annoy anybody..its meant to piss people off....bye...

Just kidding I cut there fins and see them swim like they smoked a frio...its pretty cool..ha ha

etucker1959
09-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Ya! I like to put a m80 in their mouth and blow them up..its pretty cool. Plus, I help keep the population down..since they are a menace to the bass society. This reply is not to annoy anybody..its meant to piss people off....bye...

Just kidding I cut there fins and see them swim like they smoked a frio...its pretty cool..ha ha
There you go again trying to piss people off. Where you serious when you wonder why people are so sensitive on this board. I have an answer for you, if you want to hear it.

Koontaj
09-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Ya hit em up
There you go again trying to piss people off. Where you serious when you wonder why people are so sensitive on this board. I have an answer for you, if you want to hear it.

Skyler
09-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Yawn. Too obvious. Proper trolling is a subtle art.

Carptain_Bao
11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1577/1548-8675%281997%29017%3C1010%3ACCATAA%3E2.3.CO%3B2
found two articles that both claimed common carp doesnt have significant influence on the lmb and bluegill population, but carp does increase water turbidity that reduces the bass activity...
interesting, dont know if it makes sense to you guys. Feel free to argue.

Skyler
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1577/1548-8675%281997%29017%3C1010%3ACCATAA%3E2.3.CO%3B2
found two articles that both claimed common carp doesnt have significant influence on the lmb and bluegill population, but carp does increase water turbidity that reduces the bass activity...
interesting, dont know if it makes sense to you guys. Feel free to argue.

Not a large enough control in their study. Some lakes my support both with minimal issues, but generally, the two species are in conflict. Either way, they're not native to North America, and compete with native species. Nobody can argue that. And to quote the study abstract:

"We examined effects of common carp Cyprinus carpio on angler catch rates of largemouth bass Micropterus sahnoides in experimental ponds. Catch rates were significantly lower and turbidity was significantly greater in ponds with common carp. Maximum angler catch rates were negatively correlated with turbidity."

Kill 'em all!

Carptain_Bao
11-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Not a large enough control in their study. Some lakes my support both with minimal issues, but generally, the two species are in conflict. Either way, they're not native to North America, and compete with native species. Nobody can argue that. And to quote the study abstract:

"We examined effects of common carp Cyprinus carpio on angler catch rates of largemouth bass Micropterus sahnoides in experimental ponds. Catch rates were significantly lower and turbidity was significantly greater in ponds with common carp. Maximum angler catch rates were negatively correlated with turbidity."

Kill 'em all!

Lmao, if you do feel like killin em all please make good use of them and make sure you are doing it in the legal way.

Skyler
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Lmao, if you do feel like killin em all please make good use of them and make sure you are doing it in the legal way.

You would be hard pressed to find an illegal way to kill carp, lol. No season, no bag limit, hell, you can even spear and arrow them. You know how many carp I shot with my bow this year. And you know I make use of them. I eat them (I'm about the only white person I know who does, lol), I use them as fertilizer, I give them away, and I use them for coyote bait. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of trying to dry some out and preserve it.

Carptain_Bao
11-14-2012, 04:58 PM
You would be hard pressed to find an illegal way to kill carp, lol. No season, no bag limit, hell, you can even spear and arrow them. You know how many carp I shot with my bow this year. And you know I make use of them. I eat them (I'm about the only white person I know who does, lol), I use them as fertilizer, I give them away, and I use them for coyote bait. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of trying to dry some out and preserve it.

true that even with all the effort you put in the carp population is still healthy as fk...yeah as long as you make good use of em

Skyler
11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
true that even with all the effort you put in the carp population is still healthy as fk...yeah as long as you make good use of em

True. Now imagine the population if we didn't kill them.

Ifishtoolittle
11-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Big bass follow Big Carp. Nuff' said.

RiverReaperS
03-23-2014, 06:35 AM
On the Colorado River DFG Biologists use shock boats to remove carp from all the backwaters out here to protect the bass/catfish populations and and let me tell you those guys love seeing Bowfishermen. Myself and 6 friends and the local game warden bowfish once a week we pull at least 200-300 lbs of carp from the river and still they have huge numbers....we've seen alot more bass beds in the areas we shoot.

DirtyDave413
03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
On the Colorado River DFG Biologists use shock boats to remove carp from all the backwaters out here to protect the bass/catfish populations and and let me tell you those guys love seeing Bowfishermen. Myself and 6 friends and the local game warden bowfish once a week we pull at least 200-300 lbs of carp from the river and still they have huge numbers....we've seen alot more bass beds in the areas we shoot.

Yep, Big Bear Lake spends a lot of money shocking carp. The BBMWD puts up a lot of money for the annual carp roundup. Several thousand pounds of carp are taken out in 1 weekend. It is slowly making a difference in the lake.
Why would they do this if these guys are saying they are not a problem?

troutdog
03-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Lots of fun on light line when nothing else is willing to bite, I think I have caught them on almost everything I can think of. GREAT fertilizer for Mom's roses...

TD

Misfitdog
03-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Lots of fun on light line when nothing else is willing to bite, I think I have caught them on almost everything I can think of. GREAT fertilizer for Mom's roses...

TD

This Right here said it all , Very Fun fish to catch and I do the same thing catch them and bury them in with the roses & under the Fruit Trees . so they are not wasted and the worms love them too. keeps them around the areas I want so when I need some to catch me a mess of panfish I am ready to go anytime .. thank you carp for your donation back to mother earth and this whole cycle of life thing !

DarkShadow
03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Last time i used a carp for fertilizer, it became an MMA match at 3 am in my backyard with all the stray cats participating.

I had front row seats.

So carp are truly entertaining, even out of the water.

tmenzo939
04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
then become a carp angler seal, do not force feed other your feeling about carp. im an cnr fisherman myself so what!what! what!

Skyler
04-14-2014, 06:46 PM
then become a carp angler seal, do not force feed other your feeling about carp. im an cnr fisherman myself so what!what! what!

5 posts and he is already barking at the locals. He'll fit in fine around here. And please throw all of your carp back, tmenzo...More for me to shoot.

DarkShadow
04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
5 posts and he is already barking at the locals. He'll fit in fine around here. And please throw all of your carp back, tmenzo...More for me to shoot.

You use barbless arrows and throw them all back?

Skyler
04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Barbless arrows with explosive tips.

DirtyDave413
04-20-2014, 01:53 PM

Suction Cup arrows for C&R bowfishing.....

I*B*CATCHIN
04-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Really try to carp fish then there will be a appreciation for them I use bass in my garden never seen then grow so fast

Skyler
05-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Really try to carp fish then there will be a appreciation for them I use bass in my garden never seen then grow so fast

I have caught carp on rod and reel. They fight well, but I would rather have sex with a blender full of rusty nails than release one.

DarkShadow
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
I have caught carp on rod and reel. They fight well, but I would rather have sex with a blender full of rusty nails than release one.

Now, is the blender turned on frappe, or ice crush?

Skyler
06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Now, is the blender turned on frappe, or ice crush?

Puree, with a sprinkle of crushed glass for texture.

DrePSP
06-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Invasive species need to removed or at least heavily reduced. If I catch one, I look for asians. most of the time they'll take it. I don't care what they do with it.