PDA

View Full Version : Big Bear from shore?

goodguy
09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Hey all,
What are my best options from shore at Big Bear? My wife and I are going up tomorrow. I haven't been in a while... As far as species go, what's my best bet from the bank? I don't care catfish, bass, trout, carp, panfish.... Just wanna catch a fish or 2...
Also, where and what is my best option for bait/lures?
You can PM if you don't want to give away your spot. I c&r too!
Thank you!

RTG
09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Hey all,
What are my best options from shore at Big Bear? My wife and I are going up tomorrow. I haven't been in a while... As far as species go, what's my best bet from the bank? I don't care catfish, bass, trout, carp, panfish.... Just wanna catch a fish or 2...
Also, where and what is my best option for bait/lures?
You can PM if you don't want to give away your spot. I c&r too!
Thank you!
If you're not picky, and just want to catch fish, go to any of the fishing piers on the north shore and use nightcrawlers. You can catch all the bullheads you want. Some are pretty decent sized too. There's no limit on them. Carp (ick) are biting too. Use any old carp standby bait-like maza or ground up Wheaties.
If you fish those same piers at night you have a chance of getting some nice trout. Use an unweighted crawler, or piece of crawler, under a lighted slip-bobber. Adjust the depth until you find them. Don't forget that trout in the Southern District is 5 in possession, not 10 like in the Sierras.

goodguy
09-07-2012, 11:38 AM
If you're not picky, and just want to catch fish, go to any of the fishing piers on the north shore and use nightcrawlers. You can catch all the bullheads you want. Some are pretty decent sized too. There's no limit on them. Carp (ick) are biting too. Use any old carp standby bait-like maza or ground up Wheaties.
If you fish those same piers at night you have a chance of getting some nice trout. Use an unweighted crawler, or piece of crawler, under a lighted slip-bobber. Adjust the depth until you find them. Don't forget that trout in the Southern District is 5 in possession, not 10 like in the Sierras.

Thanks for the info! I will try that! I'm usually a Catch and Release guy, if I catch a decent size trout or cat, I might keep 1 or 2 to eat that night. So no worries about my limit :)
Thanks again!

seal
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Don't forget that trout in the Southern District is 5 in possession, not 10 like in the Sierras.

Not completely accurate. I had a DFG warden tell me the same thing in a discussion we had while he was checking our licenses and we BS'd for a while. I was giving him examples of crazy DFG regs. and told him that the tributaries of BBL are a 5 per day and 10 in possession, he said the same that you did that all Southern District is 5 period so he decided to look it up in the book, OOPS! Crazy rule that you can have 10 if they are from the tributaries but only 5 if from the lake, how the hell would the DFG be able to prove that they were caught in the lake vs. tributaries? They need to change that one so it's a straight 5 across the board, makes no sense at all.

Ultralight
09-07-2012, 10:40 PM
. Don't forget that trout in the Southern District is 5 in possession, not 10 like in the Sierras.

I thought Sierras limits are also 5 for stickers? The only 10 limit I know of there are the smaller Brookies which are overpopulating the streams?

UL

seal
09-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I thought Sierras limits are also 5 for stickers? The only 10 limit I know of there are the smaller Brookies which are overpopulating the streams?

UL

It's 10 in possession not 10 fish limit. In other words you can have 2 days worth of trout limits (10 fish) but still can only catch 5 per day.

Ultralight
09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Wow learn something new every day. It seems that this will open the limit to abuse but I'm sure they have a good reason for that rule. Perhaps for people who are hiking into the wilderness though I'm not sure how they will keep the fish fresh.

Thanks for the info.

UL

It's 10 in possession not 10 fish limit. In other words you can have 2 days worth of trout limits (10 fish) but still can only catch 5 per day.