PDA

View Full Version : Lake Perris Report Wed Sept 5th/ first post

kjwright8
09-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Hey fellow fishing peeps. So this is my first post and fishing report.
Yesterday I decided to go fishing, normally i'd go to fisherman's retreat because I'm trying to gain experience and lack a boat. well they were closed due to restocking, so my alternative was Lake Perris. Weather was really cloudy, hot, and scattered rain. Water was pretty calm though.

I get there around 6:15am and started fishing by the dam. first spot was the reed/willow beds in the little corner by the beach. I tried using a Jitterbug topwater thinking maybe I would get something by the reeds...nope:Crying: ended up having to take shoes off and walk 15ft out and retrieve my lure.

Eventually I moved to the dam and began to fish the rocks. I tried everything, most of the plastics were texas rigged with 1/8ounce bullet weight.. Orange/chartreuse spinner, white/yellow chatterbait, lost a black/silver senko, two green pumpkin finesse fin-eke BPS worms on jig heads, I treid several different colors as far as a purple Kreature bait, green pumpkin swimming senko, as well as smoke/clear robo on a dropshot and a orange with green stripe robo worm on a finesse worm jig head. Also tried a Rebel 3in deep diver crawfish crankbait.

As the morning progressed I had tuber and a shore fisherman within 10-20ft of my area. Around 10ish I went to my tried and true methods from fisherman's retreat a Zoom Super Hog green pumpkin with red flake on a 1/8ounce bullet weight texas rig using my Bass Pro Shop series Mega Cast rod/baitcast reel combo.

Ended up with one fish, and didnt see many people catching around me. Even the guys out on boats looked like they were having a hard time.

I'd really like to use my senkos that a friend from work had given me, just find it hard to do weightless with my baitcaster so I do weighted texas rigged. If anyone has any tips for amateur angler fishing from shore i'd much appreciate it.

HawgStalker
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
At least you didn't get skunked man! It's been soooo hot this summer, fishing for us shore guys is a bit tougher than most years... In my opinion. I don't fish Perris, mostly DVL, but last summer was a lot cooler and I caught more and bigger fish ALL summer! With the heat of this summer I think the fish are deeper so it's harder for the shore guys to get to them! I'm sure there's exceptions, but I cant wait for the weather to cool down a bit....

Welcome to FNN...

Thanks for the post!

kjwright8
09-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Yea heat hasn't done justice that is for sure. Where I had caught that one fish a float tuber said it was around 15-18ft where i was casting. I understand that most anglers were getting fish in 35-50' of water.

Hawgstalker got any advice for bait or tactics fishing from shore?

HawgStalker
09-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I think you have the basic idea bro... One thing I believe for sure is to fish what you have the most confidence with, but at the same time when that's not working don't be afraid to change it up! Personally, I throw mostly T-rig and Carolina-rig for plastics. Drop shot ocassionally, but I dont like it unless you can reach a steep drop off! Colors I prefer are purples for worms and naturals for creature baits. I use 8# floro or 5# floro for spinning outfits! For topwater (spooks, poppers, frogs etc.) I use 12# mono. Crankbaits and jerkbaits 12# floro. Be willing to change your retrieve until you find out what they want! Hopefully some other guys will offer up info cuz by no means am I a pro or know everything about LMB fishing.....

Good luck!

kjwright8
09-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. Thats one thing I have yet to try is carolina rigging.

fishmounter
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
If I was going to fish the LP dam for bass right now, I would go early or late in the day, I would use spinning gear with 4 or 6 lb test, and I would use weightless wacky rigged 5 inch "thin" Senkos (use a weedless hook), or I would put on a long 6 or 7 inch straight Robo worm, rigged Texas style, also without any weight. Color is not really a big deal. Make long casts, let them sink down and slowly work them back in with little twitches. Watch your line to jump or go sideways. Fishing is slow in shallow water now, but the bass are there early and late looking for food.

kjwright8
09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
thanks for the tips will have to try them out. Next week I will be going to Michigan for a week and will be taking my fishing gear with.

karalm
09-08-2012, 07:19 AM
When you fish senkos and you fly line them (no weight) you need to use a spinning fishing rod. If you use this set up as I do, you can chuck a senko about 50' if you use a long leader before casting and flip it hard. Should work!!

swimbaitjunkie
09-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Wednesday was a good day at perris.....just need to find the right spot.

kjwright8
09-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Well I had thought over by the damn would be good, just for the sure fact it gets down to 18 feet pretty quickly. Also had tried fishing by the tree by the beach. Also the best day I have ever had there was after winter and I was fishing off the point by power cove. Once again lack of experience in knowing . Also Swimbaitjunkie what were you using for bait?

rob.villanueva
09-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Kyle,

Hey man, nice to see your report here. Thanks for hooking me up with one of those Zoom Hogs. I took it to Fishermans Retreat and slayed a few 2-3 lb'rs with it and some Berkely craws. I'm a fan of plastic craws now!!

Rob

swimbaitjunkie
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Well I had thought over by the damn would be good, just for the sure fact it gets down to 18 feet pretty quickly. Also had tried fishing by the tree by the beach. Also the best day I have ever had there was after winter and I was fishing off the point by power cove. Once again lack of experience in knowing . Also Swimbaitjunkie what were you using for bait?

Its a little warm for good shore fishing, if you got a float tube that will help. I got an extra tube if you want to tag along sometime. Man i cant wait till my boat is done....dam projects...lol. Send me a PM how to reach you.

kjwright8
09-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Kyle,

Hey man, nice to see your report here. Thanks for hooking me up with one of those Zoom Hogs. I took it to Fishermans Retreat and slayed a few 2-3 lb'rs with it and some Berkely craws. I'm a fan of plastic craws now!!

Rob
Hey no problem man, glad my amateur knowledge paid of.