PDA

View Full Version : OC surf session after work. 9/5

LuckyCraft420
09-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Today was actually my first triple fishing session in 1 day...

I arrive at work at 635, and my boss never gets there early so I had a little time to kill. I brought my rod with me today with the intension of meeting up with a friend after work. So I grabbed my rod and walked down to the harbor off balboa and 18th street in Newport beach. Over the passed week I've walked over on my lunch breaks to see people catching YFC and SFC off muscles (those interested in going its a nice sandy beach for the kids, no current, and fish to right of the kids swim area). I started throwing the Metallic Sardine LC. I worked a good portion of the beach over 20mins, but didn't manage a bite. The tide was very low, so the timing wasn't ideal for the harbor.

11am rolls around, and my boss says to take a hour lunch (usually only take 20 mins). So I grabbed a quick sandwich and subway, and ran to the car to get the rod. I get back to the harbor around 1120am, and start throwing the same LC. The tide had come up a little, but it had also brought in some moss. I see a boat dock off to the left and decide to try there. As I walk up I was looking for a no fishing sign, but didn't see one at the dock entrance. I fan casted for a while. After 15 mins I see a sign out of the corner or my eye, so I walked over to take a look. After reading threw the list of dock NoNo's, the last 1 listed... "No Fishing." I only had another 10 mins before I needed to go, so I said screw it, and continued on. No sheriff boats had cruised by yet, and the heavy overcast created a lack of boaters this morning. Ended my lunch with no bites.

345pm, I was finishing up at work and got a text from Wade saying he was here. We grabbed our stuff and start at the harbor. Same LC tied on, and on the first cast... zzzzzz, Snap!, splash. F*** f*** f***! The line jammed in the reel, 30# braid snapped, and my LC goes flying into the water. I quickly tossed my stuff on shore and went looking for it, but no dice... Onto trying my new Barred Surf Perch Lucky Craft. After 10 minutes, we decided to move across the street and hit the surf. The north side of the Newport pier (1-2 foot waves compared to the 5-8 footers on the south). The water was cooooold. Compared to the last few weeks I thought I was fishing the kern river. Ok so it wasn't that cold, but you get the point. Wade was a trooper and didn't hesitate getting waste deep, then yelled telling me it was warmer further out. We fished there for about 30 mins, and decided to move to another spot. There was a lot of swimmers at that location to be able to move around. We get to 1 of Wades AOs around 510ish. The first 15 feet into the water was just as cold. The current was strong to the north, but actually worked out nicely for fishing. Small bait fish everywhere, no seaweed in sight, the tide just started going out, and beautiful women within view. We both start fan casting. After 15 minutes or so wade started working his way out to a farther sand bar. A few minutes later I'm reeling in giving misc soft jerks, and I get a good bite, I give the pole a good jerk, and fish on! I can't help but instantly start guessing what it may be. My first guess was a large perch. I start walking backwards towards to sand, when I get a glimps. I yell as loud as I can hoping wade could hear me from 50+ yards away "It's a Halibut!" At first from just a short glimps it looked to be 18-19 inches. 10 seconds later I get a better look, it was much bigger than anticipated. I get it into a few inches of water and go for a tail grab. I missed!!! Then a wave comes in and he starts swimming back out. I did see that 2/3 of my LCs hooks were in his mouth though, so I knew he wasn't going anywhere for long. Just as I'm thinking that he makes a break for some nearby rocks. If anything is going to break my braid it's the rocks, not the fish... So I cranked back on the rod and turned him round, them dragged him back in. Tail grab attempt #2 was the charm. I lift the fish out of the later to show wade, and he starts walking in. While waiting for him, I'm standing there looking at the fish with a few surfers wondering if it's a legal or not (though I was sure it was). I put my feet 1 in front of the other with my size 14 monsters, and the fish still has another 4 inches on top of that. Wade comes walking up and pulls out the tape... Solid 25"er!!! I wish I had my phone to get a tape picture, but I had left it in the car. I quickly barried it into the sand so my friends and I at poker night can enjoy it. We went on for another hour or so, but no more bites. Called it a day once the tide got too low around 645. It was a great day on the surf!

I would post pictures, but can't from my IPhone.

SP Dan
09-06-2012, 03:31 AM
Hi ya OCFishing420,

First of all.....Congratulations on your 25" legal Hali! :Thumbs Up: WTG!
That's a very nice fish to catch during these tough times!

That was quite a fish report, I really enjoyed the read! :Cool: Thanx!

Hope to see you at HG-4!

SP Dan <"))><

LuckyCraft420
09-06-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks Dan! I was planning on hitting the surf again after work, but I forgot my gear. So I'll probably fish again tomorrow and thru the weekend. More reports soon to come.

frankjz
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Cool catch, man! I'd love to see the photos on this one. Congrats.

LuckyCraft420
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Cool catch, man! I'd love to see the photos on this one. Congrats.

Send me your email and I'll send u a few pics (that goes for anyone that wants to see the pics).

Also just fished on my lunch break, caught 1 spotted bay bass. No tape, but it was about 14-15 inches. Caught on a #63 big hammer

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-06-2012, 04:27 PM
congrats on the catch...way ta go...

Fishin always beats work : )

great work out there,
Gary

bachiboy
09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Nice catch man and great report. :Thumbs Up: Tis' a great way to shake the 'work' blues.