PDA

View Full Version : Big bear lake help!

scubasteve
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Heading up to big bear early Monday morning hoping to get into some trout. Anyone that can lead me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Troutin Man
09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Big Bear is an awesome place to fish if you like big lakes! Stick to the western side of the lake...really no further east of Gilner Point/Metcalf Bay. Fishing from shore is tough because of weed growth...if you shore fish, throw it far and have about a 2-3 foot leader. PB and night crawlers work when trout feel like eating.

I was just there this past weekend and there were trout jumpin' all over Metcalf Bay, but you really need a fishing boat. If you are fishing the surface, use rapala or some flies. I suggest getting a fishing boat if you don't have your own boat or kayak, and get out there! Get the 20% coupon for Monday from the web for Big Bear Lake recreation and take it to Halloways Marina. I think it's like 60 bucks for 4 hours. Not bad.

Fishing was slow I think because there were a ton of boats and anglers over Labor Day weekend. Maybe after it calms down this week, the trout will be back on the bite! Less boats and lines makes for hungry fish!

Warning: Wardens from DFG were out and ticketing those without licenses so all better make sure they have their license! That's what Halloway's Marina told me and another customer.

Good luck out there!

goodguy
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
So, is shore fishing period not worth it at BB right now because of the weeds? My wife and I are heading to BB for the day saturday. We just can't afford a boat rental. I'm open to whichever species is easiest. Trout, bass, cats, panfish, carp... What's my best bet and where? Thanks in advance!