PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gregory Carp, 9/5

Tubbytuba
09-05-2012, 08:32 PM
i winged it today (seeing as I've never caught a carp let alone on the fly) and grabbed my 5wt, my fly boxes and hit the sand at Lake Gregory. i fished woolly buggers and some bead head nymphs and i only managed to spook every fish i saw. i found a small, probably 2 pounder, make a rise on something, had no idea what it was but he slurped something down. i greased a #6 muddler and slapped it down in front of him, he opened his mouth and.... and didnt commit. he did this 5 times, each time opening his mouth but not taking the fly. i switched to a handtied #18 royal coachman trude and forgot to grease it... tossed it in front of him, he hammered it but totally missed haha, the splash sank the fly but i twitched it as it sank. this attracted the attention of a massive carp only 5 feet away who slurped it down, i slammed the rod up and the fight was on!... for the next hour. i was using a 4 pound test tippet so i babied him, and managed to pin him between my leg and my net while beaching him. i stuffed him in the net and it broke the basket!, fish was CPR'd. had a few bluegill today too but that's all i could do, my wrist hurt after an hour haha. pics attached.

The Fishing Queen
09-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Great to hear that you caught a carp on the fly! It must have given you a good fight. Congrats!

castle
09-08-2012, 05:18 AM
Did you catch that by the ballfields?

Tubbytuba
09-08-2012, 11:50 AM
you know people say ball fields and i never know what they are talking about haha, i fished right off of the San moritz parking lot... there is a sandy hill there that juts out into the water, not really a ball field... that's where the pics were taken.

trout masterson
09-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Great job man!!! Carpin is awesome on the fly rod. Super tough too.

Jig-Guy
09-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Cool report & pics:Thumbs Up:. I bet that was fun going at it with that big carp on a fly rod.

Tubbytuba
09-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Cool report & pics:Thumbs Up:. I bet that was fun going at it with that big carp on a fly rod.
sure was J/G hows the duct up there in hesperia been treating you?

Jig-Guy
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
The duct! I have not been there since the since my last post on it. I do need to go see if the moss has thinned out. I will post my findings when I get some new information.

vortec_cruiser
09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
That's one nice looking freshwater yellowtail! :LOL:
I always enjoy C&Ring them.