PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio 9/3 and 4

joejoe77
09-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Hit San Antonio and gave a try at trolling from advice off of here. I trolled for about an hour around Bee Rock and the Dam. No hits. My boat overheated so I turned it off and luckily landed in a boil. Got a hit and missed it. Got my boat running and was gonna leave when I saw around 7 boats sitting in Harris Creek. Went and talked to them and they were chasing boils. So I followed along. We got into around 10 boils. My boat had problems starting fast enought to get into the boils. So although I saw around 10 nice ones get caught I was once again skunked. Temp was around 90 water temp 75. I did meet some very cool people who gave me some very valuable insight to SA stripers.
So, Wed. I wanted to go back, called my boy and told him what happened. We took his Procraft out to Harris Creek around 630pm. There were a few boats looking for boils not too many. It definitly wasnt as active as it was on Tues. There were alot of birds around the area. But no boils. Finally we get into a boil near Harris Creek, small one but nice. My boy heads over to it and as soon as he throws he hooks up. I throw right after and BAM! I get hit and hook a ****** hog.I accidentally grabbed the wrong rod, this was my 7' med action spin rod with only 8lb test. So I fight this pig for around 7 min and finally bring him in. I finally caught one of these awesome fish. best fishing day of my life . My boy caught another and then some jackass throttles over the boil killing it. Pretty much died right there. So we stayed another hour or so with nothing. We saw alot on the meter but no action.

Report:
Boated three fish Big Fish - 10 lbs 2 oz (mine) my boys were between 8-9 lbs each.
Temp was around 92, water temp 73. All fish caught on spoons. I kept all three to BBQ for tomorrows game. Chasing boils was the most adreline pumping fishing Ive done and Im hooked.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

Joe Joe

cutbait
09-05-2012, 04:41 AM
7 med action spinning rod?? For San Antonio???

WOW!

Welcome to the striper addiction club

plumbertom
09-05-2012, 09:43 AM
I use a 7'6'' medium action spinning rod for tossing to boils all the time. although I use 12 lb line on it.
That fishing boils is about as exciting as you can hope for, really gets the ol' adrenalin pumping to watch them and when when you hook up, Wow.

One thing about those fillets. I would recommend trimming that dark meat as much as possible before cooking. It tends to be rather strong.

cutbait
09-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Im sure an ultra light with 4 lb can get the job done, but when it takes 7 mins to real in a fish when boils are crashing all around you, you tend to miss multiple hook up opportunities.

Your hamstringing your ability to pick off multiple fish per boil or other boils within that 7 min window..

(Spoken as a true boil whore)

joejoe77
09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I had brought a 7' 6 heavy bait caster rod with 12lb test. I just got excited when I grabbed and grabbed the wrong one. I definitely couldve got another had that one not taken so long. But youre right Cut totally addicted. Chasing boils feels like the X games of bass fishing.

cutbait
09-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I had brought a 7' 6 heavy bait caster rod with 12lb test. I just got excited when I grabbed and grabbed the wrong one. I definitely couldve got another had that one not taken so long. But youre right Cut totally addicted. Chasing boils feels like the X games of bass fishing.

100%.........

plumbertom
09-06-2012, 03:51 AM
I can't stand it.
You guys and your talk of chasing boilers.
Gonna get out on the water this morning, even though I have to be home by 3 PM.

cutbait
09-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Stick a pig for me Tom

Striper Slayer
09-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Go get em!! Bring binocs and tie those lines tight. It is wide open.

plumbertom
09-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Tough day yesterday.
Few Boils and couldn't get close to them before they evaporated.
Did manage to catch a hand full smallmouths and a couple of crappie.
Water temp 76*
the water is clearing up nicely following the alga bloom.
Clarity was about 7'
Air temp. upper 80s and high clouds reducing sunlight.
https://picasaweb.google.com/plumbertom1/DropBox03?authkey=Gv1sRgCPbWxoSApva3ew#slideshow/5785215688752903618

plumbertom
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Yea! Fish Tacos. I had a single striper in the freezer and that alonng with the crappie from yesterday made a bunch of tacos.

joejoe77
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Thats what I made with about half of the meat I had. They came out excellent. I marinated em in olive oil, fresh lime, garlic, onions, pepper and cilantro. Threw em on the grill and they made some great tacos. Going camping out there the weekend after next to try to get a couple of more.

fishinone
09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Nice catch guys. I like catching striper on light line in open water but 8 lb test at San Antonio is asking for trouble. I'm coming up there this weekend and I changed over to 15 lb .012" Seagaur Senshi line from my normal Castaic 8 lb .010" Trilene XL.

I agree about trimming about the red meat. There's a red line through the filet, it has bones in it. Just cut it out, the cat might like to have it. I also let the filet knife ride just high enough to take the red layer off with the skin.

cutbait
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Nice catch guys. I like catching striper on light line in open water but 8 lb test at San Antonio is asking for trouble. I'm coming up there this weekend and I changed over to 15 lb .012" Seagaur Senshi line from my normal Castaic 8 lb .010" Trilene XL.

I agree about trimming about the red meat. There's a red line through the filet, it has bones in it. Just cut it out, the cat might like to have it. I also let the filet knife ride just high enough to take the red layer off with the skin.

Did you make any reservations ahead of time?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the schedule lake closure to remove "stink off the water"

plumbertom
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Just got a call from Fresno. One of the guys there wants to fish the Tone Friday so I should be there bright and early.
Probably hunt some stripers early and then settle down to catfish before too late.
Unless of course the stripers are wanting to play all day.

fishinone
09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Did you make any reservations ahead of time?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the schedule lake closure to remove "stink off the water"

No no reservations. I think that will be after we are there!

Just got a call from Fresno. One of the guys there wants to fish the Tone Friday so I should be there bright and early.
Probably hunt some stripers early and then settle down to catfish before too late.
Unless of course the stripers are wanting to play all day.

I'm looking forward to a report.