PDA

View Full Version : Lake Crowley...best camping spot for fishing and techniques?

SlayinRainbows
09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
So I decided that I'm going up to Lake Crowley fri the 14th of this month, spending the night Fri and Sat, then coming home Sun the 16th. We are planning to camp at Crowley and fish there in the early mornings and evenings, then later morning and afternoon fishing upper owens river. I was wondering if anybody could tell me the best camping location at Crowley where I would have the best success shore fishing. I noticed a map of a few different camping spots, just curious as to which one was the best. I read McGee Bay has the best fishing right now, but there are no camps sites near it. Also, any advice about what the fish are biting on (lake or river) we'll be fly fishing and using spinning gear as well.

Guest Who
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey, I never really fish Crowley because it always seemed like a boat/tube lake, but within 20 min drive are tons of options. Convict lake/creek, Lake Mary, Twin, or you can go to the June lake loop and fish Rush creek. The thing about crowley is it is a flat area with no trees, so if the wind kicks up you can get slammed. Other places nearby are a lot more protected from the wind.

seal
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Camping in "general" is not allowed at Crowley. I know at certain times of the year, right now might be that time, in the past you were allowed to camp in an area by Alligator point but in general just pulling up and setting up camp for a few days is not allowed only at the opener do they allow it and they charge a fee. Now not saying that if you don't have a fire and don't setup a million tents that you can't get away with it at Green banks or something like that but they do not have any bathroom facilities, trash cans etc... so camping in general is not allowed. There are many different campgrounds in the area, by the upper owens there is Brown's if that's the area you want to setup at.

Fish Cop
09-06-2012, 11:51 AM
There's no camping at Crowley. Best bet is Brown's Owens River. As to McGee, it drops in depth so gradual, it's really a boat or float tube place. Chalk Bluffs and Green Banks have some decent ledges, even with the water as low as it is. For the fly- indicator with double midge dropper hanging 6" off the bottom has been hot this season.