PDA

View Full Version : 09/03/12 Santa Monica Pier lobster fishing

cklovetofish
09-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Is there any one craving for lobsters? I am. Unfortunately it was my first time at Santa Monica pier and I was there for the beach and the pier and other activities, not for fishing. Thus, I had no gear for any type of fishing.
But, as a enthusiast fisherman, I walked the front of the pier and check out the local fishing. First pass, not a single thing in anyone possessions. Bad bad, I thought. 20 minutes later, walking back with our families, didn't see any thing at first, then, bang, bang, pull, pull, up come 2 lobsters for 2 guys, then a minute later, another one from another fisherman on another corner.
Darn darn darn, the first two looks undersized or barely legal, the third one is huge. Maybe a 4 lbs.
A harder look, most of the fishermen on this pier are using large treble hooks and rigged up and targeted for lobsters solely. Definitely, not for regular fishing.
As the bugs are landed, they are quickly wrapped up with newspaper and tucked insided something. I think that's why I did not see any thing in any bucket or on deck. As a matter of fact, not too many of them brought buckets. Majority brought back pack. Now I know why.
I think and hope and hope not that this posting will bring all the lobster poachers to Santa Monica pier. This will piss off all the local poachers for sure. Second thing I hope from this posting is DFG people will send someone there as this pier has two level and as you stand on the top level, it is really easy to see what is going on.
For the poachers and pretend not to know lobster poachers, it is illegal to fish for lobster with hooks. Second, lobster has to certain size. Third, and most important, it is not lobster season yet. And I heard that a ticket for illegal lobster is really stiff, not worth it.

sweetfish
09-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Man, that sucks. I will be hopefully doing my first season fishing lobster in October. Hope these guys get caught and nailed with the huge fine.

BMBASS
09-04-2012, 11:24 AM
why dident you call DFG its just a quick phone call

5150fishn
09-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Hopefully you called CalTip because way too much of this goes on and if we ignore it nothing will be resolved!

Tubbytuba
09-04-2012, 03:52 PM
call the tip line, i have it on speed dial. i hate pier poachers, ive seen to0 many short flaties wind up in a bucket over the years. caught hell from some DFG folks for 5 sand dabs a few years ago. i was about to get a ticket for 5 short butts when one of them pointed out that their lateral lines were straight lol.

jerryG
09-05-2012, 12:09 AM
The SM Pier (as well as Redondo) has been a hot spot for lobster poachers for many years. Poachers used to try to sell their catch to people on the pier. I know a local DFG officer and he has told me stories of lobster poaching busts at the SM Pier and as well other local spots. Unfortunately they don't catch poachers nearly often enough but make no doubt about it they catch poachers all the time. I posted some penalties below. Too bad Lobster Poaching doesn't carry the same penalty as abalone..

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/jerrygiberti/Picture010.jpg

JerryG

boxl0bster
09-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't get it, piers are a magnet for poachers, why aren't they patrolled more often? There's not a single time I don't see undersized fish being kept at a pier.

Tubbytuba
09-06-2012, 04:55 PM
holy crap thank god the DFG figured out that my sand dabs were actually dabs... that fine is hefty....

flyhigh123
09-06-2012, 05:30 PM
They should print out large signs and penalties for poaching and put them up on the piers. Makes the poachers think twice, and also a note that all bags are subject to inspection.

The poaching industry should easily help self sustain the DFG wardens. If one warden catches 2 people a day, the penalties should be enough to pay for their salary.