PDA

View Full Version : 8/2/12 Shoreline Fishing

Demizer
09-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Today was my first attempt to catch some stripers. I was there from 6am to 7:30pm. Me and my buddy went along the shoreline to the first point, along the first cove by main launch. I didnt see any boils but i saw couple of fishing jumping. One thing for sure is that we got alot of bites on nightcrawlers. We try anchovies, top water and fake fish plastics. Nothing. My first striper was 8 inches and after that nothing but little stripers, on nightcrawlers. I was hoping to catch some bigger ones to eat but oh well. My buddy cut up a little striper since it was pretty much dead and use pieces of it as bait. He caught good size bluegill. There was alot of boats today and some reason some of boats werent sking or fishing; just joyriding and then they come all close to shore and park it. Someone told me earlier that stripers were boiling but pleasure boats ran through them. I figure either i need to rent a boat or find someone willing to let me jump on thier boat to go farther down the coves on the fish arm. I had a blast though.

trail blazer
09-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Great report on the shore bite,,,,,,,,be sure and check the regs on cutbait before next trip out,,,,,,,,,,hate to see ya get into trouble,,,,,,,,stay with,m and good,ns are just around the corner.

T/B

dkinla
09-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Today was my first attempt to catch some stripers. I was there from 6am to 7:30pm. Me and my buddy went along the shoreline to the first point, along the first cove by main launch. I didnt see any boils but i saw couple of fishing jumping. One thing for sure is that we got alot of bites on nightcrawlers. We try anchovies, top water and fake fish plastics. Nothing. My first striper was 8 inches and after that nothing but little stripers, on nightcrawlers. I was hoping to catch some bigger ones to eat but oh well. My buddy cut up a little striper since it was pretty much dead and use pieces of it as bait. He caught good size bluegill. There was alot of boats today and some reason some of boats werent sking or fishing; just joyriding and then they come all close to shore and park it. Someone told me earlier that stripers were boiling but pleasure boats ran through them. I figure either i need to rent a boat or find someone willing to let me jump on thier boat to go farther down the coves on the fish arm. I had a blast though.

Wow u guys were out there a long time.. I guess the heat wasn't too bad? Anyways, good to hear u had a great time... How was the weed situation along the shoreline? I haven't been back to the dam for a little while now. Yeah I don't have a boat either.. Usually just fish from the dam... Always been tough, but good to get out!

Demizer
09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
The heat wasnt too bad but i did got bad sunburned lol. Ya there was tons of weeds, it keep coming on the shore. I guess from the boats causing currents ripping it off the bottom. From what i saw, if you walk along the shoreline from main ramp towards first rocky point. The weeds are along the rocks along the rocky point and you could just toss your line in water where its deep or shallow without that much weeds. I didnt try that area at around noon and later since boats kept going back and forth onto the shore and douchebags trying to show off their "skills" on skis by shore. Its a shame though, the lake closes around 7:30, i had feeling they were going to start boiling late this evening oh well.

dkinla
09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
The heat wasnt too bad but i did got bad sunburned lol. Ya there was tons of weeds, it keep coming on the shore. I guess from the boats causing currents ripping it off the bottom. From what i saw, if you walk along the shoreline from main ramp towards first rocky point. The weeds are along the rocks along the rocky point and you could just toss your line in water where its deep or shallow without that much weeds. I didnt try that area at around noon and later since boats kept going back and forth onto the shore and douchebags trying to show off their "skills" on skis by shore. Its a shame though, the lake closes around 7:30, i had feeling they were going to start boiling late this evening oh well.

cool thanks for the info. I usually fish the shoreline at Pyramid and off the Castaic dam in the cooler/winter months since the weeds usually grow pretty thick in the summer/heat. I guess since this was your 1st time at Castaic... give the dam a try sometime. We usually walk about 1/2 way across the dam and make our way down to the water from there... some people go much further across the dam towards that tower/pump station and cast in that direction (I've just been too lazy to haul my gear all the way to the end). check out some of my old, old reports from Castaic dam... can be really hit or miss there... obviously, if the stripers are there, you'll have a good day... if they're not... then you'll have a slow, slow day

Demizer
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Hows the fishing in pyramid, i was asking around and people told me i was better off at castaic than pyramid since fishing off the shore. Today was my first time at the upper. I didnt know any good spots but where i was at, it was decent. Next time i am going to try the dam and move up along west ramp shoreline. Ya i will check out your reports, good to know. I think today was just slow day since too many boats but hey i had fun. Next i am determine catch some!

dkinla
09-02-2012, 11:08 PM
yeah I actually like fishing Pyramid better (thought I don't post Pyramid reports anymore)... you can either fish the inlet (which is right where you come in to Pyramid and pay at the gate house... the inlet area is just to your right) or drive further in and fish off the rocks in front of the tackle store they have (store only open weekends I think). If you do fish the inlet, obviously bring sinkers/gear to deal with the possibility of some stronger current if they're releasing water into the lake. If you fish further in, there's no current... and pretty peaceful over there. I guess it's just way easier to haul your gear at Pyramid than Castaic. At the inlet spot, there's shade and tables too.

Castaic is always pretty tough... I've only had one good day there! haha... but it's way closer for me than driving up the mountain to Pyramid... so just depends sometimes.

I've had good luck with nightcrawlers, bloodworms (expensive), and even chicken livers sometimes. Using the cut anchovy/sardines hasn't really produced for me at least.

well... better to be fishing and relaxing by the lake than doing anything else I say...

gluck and lookin forward to seeing more reports...

Demizer
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Well i guess i should give pyramid a try soon. I live like 20mins away. Thanks for the info. Hey we should meet up sometime and go out, fish ha.