PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for recent advice - now some Q on South Lake & Sabrina.

Ultralight
09-01-2012, 10:13 PM
THANKS for everyone who commented on my recent query about beautiful places to hike and fish at the Sierras. My wife's first trip and one of my hope is that she fall in love with fishing. We did not fish much but the few hours we did was incredibly productive. We ended up having a few fantastic hours each at three locations: Saddlebag lake, a stocked stream, and then catching a bunch of brookies at one of the out of the way small pools fed by a stream. At the end of the trip, my wife said she really develop a love for fishing and look forward to fishing a lot more. This is obviously a fantastic development which I had hoped for....:) Thanks for all who helped.

Anyways, a quick question. Taking my two boys to Sierras for a quick trip in October. We'd like to hit South Lake.

Question: Is that lake best for boating or is it also excellent for shore fishing (minijigs)? And if shore fishing is good there, is there some specific spots? It seems one of the outlets requires a boat to get to?

I have the same questions about Sabrina also.

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

Fish Cop
09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
South Lake is very low right now, to the point of being at winter draw down levels. Renting a boat will allow you to access some ledges and structure otherwise unobtainable from the shoreline. That being said, you can actually walk and fish the south/east shore due to low water. The back bay of the lake is bone dry, but where the creeks finally feed, there are good spots.

I tossed a few flies in these spots after fishing some back country spots and was pleased to see several stockers and a brown whack the dry. My advice- get the boat because the kids will love it!

DC5fishR
09-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Last year, I went to south lake in the early summer when the lake was a little lower and also when later in the early fall when the lake was really high. I actually preferred when the lake was lower. I only fished from the shore and in my experience, this lake is my favorite lake for shore fishing mini jigs :Cool:. There are close deep drop offs everywhere and no weeds, and of course the fish love the minijigs there!

Ultralight
09-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Keep em coming.

When's the last day of the season when they still do boat rental there?

Thanks,
UL

Last year, I went to south lake in the early summer when the lake was a little lower and also when later in the early fall when the lake was really high. I actually preferred when the lake was lower. I only fished from the shore and in my experience, this lake is my favorite lake for shore fishing mini jigs :Cool:. There are close deep drop offs everywhere and no weeds, and of course the fish love the minijigs there!