PDA

View Full Version : Huck Finn 2007

bchbum54
08-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Took my little girl to the Huck Fin Fishing derby yesterday and man what a beautiful day it was. I’m so glad that the City of Huntington Beach puts up the effort to do this for the kids. We fished just behind the wave break using the 2� gulp shrimp and managed to catch 4 YFC, no real size to them but the kids had a blast. My girlfriends cousins were out there fishing and the youngest one landed a nice size YFC that placed him 3rd in his age group. After the raffles and everything all the kids went home with prizes. My little girl got a goodie bag with cool stuff. A shirt for me, a coffee mug for her mom and a bunch on tackle she can play with. We go every year and last year she got the biggest fish in her age group and the second biggest fish over all. I’m so proud of my little fisher girl.

Only negative thing are those f@#$ing surfers man. Those guys are jerks, cutting lines and shouting obscenities at the parents who complained about their inconsiderate actions. I mean come on, kids are fishing for fun and their cutting lines off what the f@#k.

Any ways overall good day for the kids, tons of fun.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/hukfin01.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/hukfin02.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/hukfin03.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/hukfin04.JPG

jplee3
08-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Great report! Sounds like it was lots of fun! RE: the surfers, you should have tied on a 6oz weight and aimed it at them if they were being punks. He he... that's pretty sad though. I would have been upset as well.

smokehound
08-26-2007, 05:44 PM
I snag them when they get too close to me. As hard as i can.

Your kids look like they had a real blast though man! Thats all that matters.

Nice job on the fish, little ones!

Also, once you snag him, keep tugging every time he tries to free himself :lol:

hookemdano
08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
It's obvious from your pics that they couldn't possibly surf anywhere else but where everyone is fishing off the pier. It's their f'n ocean, didn't you know that? Move the pier out of their way next time! Would 30lb. spectra cut thru neoprene?

Good to see you had a great time with the family anyway - that's what it's all about.

castoff
08-27-2007, 12:56 PM
I am both an avid surfer and fisherman, there are plenty of jerks in both sports. If you deliberately cast a heavy weight at a surfer it is assalt with a deadly weapon and you can be arrested. Once while fishing on Ocean side pier I saw some marines deliberately cast at surfers and gash open the head of a 12 year old boy. I had them arrested and notiftied there commanding officer. if you do this you might face serious consequences you never know who's watching. Remember everyone is out there trying to have fun with a limited resource. If they cut your lines try notifying the lifeguards, or cast beyond the surf zone, they don't usually paddle that far out. Peace to all ,and remember it's all about having fun! :D

smokehound
08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
In all my years of fishing, ive never encountered a fisherman that was abusive, or harsh to me in any way. If youre a true fisherman, you are patient, and very observant. A brash fisherman is a very rare occurance, especially at the pier.
Ive been fishing there since i was 11, and all of my problems at that pier came from surfers and locals. Surfers know the rules, and when they break them, they have to expect the consequences, no matter what age they are.

That pier was placed there so people can escape from these jerks and relax for a while. It does a great job of that, too. Unfortunately we get alot of haters out there that see someone having a better time, and get jealous, which results in these altercations. It makes me wonder how their parents act.

This isnt -their- beach, its OUR beach.

Fisher-of-Men
08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
I know that place very well. All 3 of my kids caught their 1st fish off of the HB Pier.

Thanks for the report! Way to pass on the "joy of fishing" to the little ones. :thumb:

Fisher-of-Men