PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio lake report 8/30

plumbertom
08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Got on the water about 6:30 AM and headed to three fingers.
Trolled along toward the dam for about an hour.
Nothing happening on the troll But across the lake I see a bunch of birds working a boil.
Ran over to it and got my Kastmaster into the boiling fish and right away I get a hook up.
But it wasn't to be. The fish made a couple of sharp runs and then cam unbuttoned.
I think I need to put a bigger treble on that 1/2 oz. jig.
Hunted around for more action but nothing seemed to be working.
About 9:30 I moved up to Bee Rock cove and trolled along while tossing a Sassy Shad to the bank. Picked up several Small mouths. One of Which went into my live well.

Moved along to the trees and tied up to one of them in about 25' of water and soaked some chicken liver.
End result was 6 cats, a couple of them nice sized but no monsters.

When I started catching really small ones I called it a day.

But at least I got to pull on a fish or two, and came home with something for the fryer.
Everyone here loves catfish nuggets.
Air temp was about 90 not to bad on the water.
Bright sunny day. there were a few clouds off to the east but they never came near the lake.
Water temp was 76
The water was green with a lot of suspended alga.
Viability in some places was 7-8 foot.

taylor31
08-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. It has been awefull up there lately I was out there yesterday afternoon and had some idiots run into my boat twice trying to run in on one of the short lived boils.

Striper Slayer
08-30-2012, 10:34 PM
The Striper bite is wide open right now! I'm surprised you did'nt do better. Lots of boils~!!! Get em next time!

fishinone
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the report PlumberTom. I'm glad to see that you got out again. Nice catch.

I often put bigger hooks on my Kastmasters.

plumbertom
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
The Striper bite is wide open right now! I'm surprised you did'nt do better. Lots of boils~!!! Get em next time!
I probably should have gone uplake by the marina instead of down by the dam. I usually launch at Harris Creek, more from habit than anything else.
I've been going to the Lynch ramp cleaning station instead of the one at Harris creek because the yellow jackets aren't as bad there. I get tired of having to fight them for my fillets.
As I was coming down the road looking over the lake, the seagulls were thick sitting on the water just north of the marina. So I'm guessing the majority of the boils were in that area.

snospdr
09-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the very good report!