PDA

View Full Version : Overnight trip Thursday, need help?

JoshR88
08-28-2012, 07:55 PM
What's up guys? I'm going out on a overnight trip this Thursday. Im goin out of H&M landing, I havent been in ages. I know their catching yellowtail, dorado and tuna, I just don't no the size of the fish. My questions are about line size and hook size. I got one pool strung up with 25 pound test and I need to get my other 2 poles strung up, could you guys recommend a good line size for my other 2 poles? Also what size hooks should I bring for this trip? My last question, do you guys think I should bring my irons and plastics or is the bite more of a bait and wait? Any info would be great! Thanks guys.

flyhigh123
08-28-2012, 08:38 PM
just went 2 weeks back and i'm going friday.

use 20 or 25lb 3-4ft flouro leader. it's highly recommended to use flouro.

Fishing has been on 1/0 or 2/0 hooks flyline ( no weight).

You can string up the other with maybe a 30lb and 40lb mono, but with a flouro leader as well. If the bite is WFO, then you can grab the higher lb rod and just reel em in fast. Or you can have a backup 25lb line as well in case a line breaks and the bite is on and you need a quick swap.

you could try irons and plastics, but from what i;ve seen, they are hitting sardines hard and fast.

MasterFisherYY
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM
For sure use 20lb if you want a bite within 30 seconds (I can't guarantee you getting bit but your chances are good), set your drag lower then normal because were starting to see better quality blue fin 50lb+. 25lb though would be sufficient enough for most fights, I would recommend a 4/0 circle hook and take time looking for good bait. I got bit on a metal jig and a plastic big hammer 5inch calico hunter with a 2ounce lead head so artificial bait are getting bit. Try and cast out a plastic swim bait after a jig strike as you are the first one to get into the water (increases your chances 3 fold). Best of luck to you!

JoshR88
08-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help, I can't wait to get out there, it's been forever! I'll post a report on how I do. Thanks again.

flyhigh123
08-28-2012, 11:46 PM
what boat? one other tip is keep the line in front of you , so always be moving and following you line. Watch out for the guys with spectra as they will saw your line if you get hooked up and cross lines.

JoshR88
08-29-2012, 12:45 PM
We're gonna be on the sea adventure. I'm decent at fly lining, I don't think I'll cause to many tangles, hopefully! Haha thanks again! I'll post a report when I get back..

flyhigh123
08-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Sounds fun, SA II or SA 80? I went on the SA 80 2 weeks back. Nice boat.

JoshR88
08-29-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not a 100 percent sure but I think it's the sea adventure II. Either way it will be my first time on either boat.