PDA

View Full Version : Calcutta 200D vs. Curado 300ej

saltyfishscales
08-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm looking for some advice on these two reels. I want something that I can use for both heavy swimbaits for fresh water bass and also good for saltwater fishing like calicos. I'm debating between these two reels, any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Koontaj
08-28-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a curado 300 with a okuma swimbait stick 15-30 H. Man! This stick can bring some calicos with ease I have also caught some yellowtails on it as well and cast well. Now imagine an curado ej. I have it with 50lb spectra and just change it up with 3ft seagar flouro 15-20 lb. Depending on what im going for. Most of the time i use 20lb for most applications

saltyfishscales
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Let me add one more reel I was also considering, but I've never fished with a daiwa so really wasn't considering it until my friend told me about how much he loves his. So the third reel to pick from is the Daiwa Lexa 300. Which of the three would you pick?

bman90278
08-29-2012, 06:18 AM
If you want to throw big swimbaits you should get a Calcutta 400 series reel if you are wanting Shimano. 200D won't have the line capacity when you start using 25 lb mono.

-b

Nessie Hunter
08-29-2012, 09:28 AM
I agree strongly with bman90278 (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/member.php?35316-bman90278)..
Reel sizes stay pretty consistent in Shimano & Daiwa. The 200 is to small for big baits..
300 size would be an absolute minimum...
Choices in top of the line reels;
Daiwa Lexa 300 (only cus it has some great Specs & Drag)
Curado 300 (bare minimum size)
Calcutta 400 (Round reels)

Dont pass on considering the Abu Garcia Toro 60 (400 size low pro).
I have one and it it outstanding...

Im sure I have missed some good reels also.
so many out there, that would fit what you need....

saltyfishscales
08-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys, I just checked the specs for the calcutta with powerpro and you're totally right I think the smallest I'd go would be the 300. I cant believe how cheap the Lexa is going for on eBay, it's making me really consider that reel.

P.A.W.
08-29-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree with the AG Revo Toro. I have the HS 50 and even that has plenty of capacity to throw swimmers on 25lb test mono.

Bob_B
09-05-2012, 02:48 AM
I picked up the Calcutta 200D, used it twice and I am now selling it. The TE's are a much better reel. The D's are super smooth but other than that the TE's win. The drag can be a pain to adjust if you need to adjust it while fighting a fish, you can't adjust the breaks for changing conditions and casting wise they do not cast as far as the TE, heck the B's even cast further. Don't know what Shimano is thinking lately but it seems they are going backwards on development and not forward.

Breaking Bass
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I have a curado 300 with a okuma swimbait stick 15-30 H. Man! This stick can bring some calicos with ease I have also caught some yellowtails on it as well and cast well. Now imagine an curado ej. I have it with 50lb spectra and just change it up with 3ft seagar flouro 15-20 lb. Depending on what im going for. Most of the time i use 20lb for most applications

I heard you clobbered the yellowtails and dorados down in SD with your set up. When you gonna let me try it out?

Koontaj
09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
ya on my last trip I caught 2 yellow on the curado and a dorado on my sx. I usually do not use it for Yellows. Its just that day was scarce that day. I wanted to get the kelp faster and bam hook up. Im going one of the cortez bank trips out of SP in october..see you then.]
I heard you clobbered the yellowtails and dorados down in SD with your set up. When you gonna let me try it out?