PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fish...from Oside to Catalina

ddoskocil
08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Heading out this weekend. I know SD is going to be packed, so gonna launch from Oside and head for Catalina. Looking for birds, kelp, and temp breaks along the way for the dodos and yellows. One we get to church rock, nail some calicos for a while, then look all the way back again. Any suggestions out there? I have some troll grear, will buy sardines, and have a ton of plastics and irons. This is our first personal boat trip to catalina. Any recommendations for kelp or boiler rock fishing near church rock would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would also like a few marine forecast websites, I know of a few, but would like a reliable and accurate one (if there is such a thing).

Update...looks like weekend swells up to 5'. I assume that is too much for a run to Catalina in a 22' ??

sweetfish
08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Here you go. This lists out surface water temps and some intel on what is happening out there.

www.tempbreak.com

Good luck out there. Hope you get some of those dodo's.

JL
08-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I am sure if you checked some sites for wind and waves you have checked the NOA site. I find it to be OK for my trips with in 10 miles of the harbors. If you click on the maps you get to a point where you can click on various distances from the harbor including out to Catalina and get info on Wind and waves. Another side I recently used is the weather underground site. Takes some clicking to find the marine reports but they are very detailed.

I know several boats in the 22 foot range that make the trip to Catalina but you must make sure you keep and eye on the changes in water conditions and weather. I know that this High we are experiencing today will be moving on and a new moderate low pressure system is moving in. All this past 10 days the water has been quite calm but no telling what will happen this weekend. We will be going out of oceanside also over the next 3 day but will be staying within 10 -15 miles of the harbor hoping to find the Dorados also.

Tight Lines and God Bless!!!