PDA

View Full Version : fishing license requirment on dana point jetty?

Lightline
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
oes one need a license on dana poinr jetty? the short jetty, inside harbor jetty,?

lucky1
08-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I believe you need a license to fish from any jetty

Ducttapeking
08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I've been told u don't need a license from any man made structures piers/Jettys but I could be wrong

smokehound
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
The jetty near Dana Harbor's pier doesn't require a license.

Before you pass the yacht club, you're required to stay BELOW the mean LOW tide mark, meaning fishing the first couple hundred feet on the jetty is off limits to ALL people.

as defined by the DFG: "The most seaward protective jetties are by definition, public piers"

abovi001
08-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I've questioned this a lot even got pulled over late night leaving the dana pt jetty a few weeks ago.... you can fish the long one by marine institute. . . you can fish the one by the gas dock from the corner to end... the only rule is you do not need a license to fish any man made structure with water on two sides... therefore the jetty that is from the beach to where the gas dock corner is you absolutely need a license... be safe and watch out parking lot closes at "11:00pm" however depending on the cop they can let you fish if you're not a nuissance and watch out out near second half of jetty raccoons all over the place...

CraigH
08-29-2012, 07:02 AM
The jetty near Dana Harbor's pier doesn't require a license.

Before you pass the yacht club, you're required to stay BELOW the mean LOW tide mark, meaning fishing the first couple hundred feet on the jetty is off limits to ALL people.

as defined by the DFG: "The most seaward protective jetties are by definition, public piers"

I would suggest following smokehound's advice. If you read the code, needing a license or not relates to the position of the jetty/pier relative to the open ocean. Just having water on both sides doesn't qualify as a "no fishing license" jetty.

Also, the first part of the long jetty by the marine institute is in one of the new no fishing MPA's. There is no fishing above the mean low tide mark in the MPA.