PDA

View Full Version : LC you later +

efishent
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Intro for today is from the last week’s trip that I didn’t post but is worth mentioning since it happened at the same location. I did hook up in murky water to a fish that felt like a tree trunk and as I was getting tired (30 + minutes bendo) it was getting more and more energy. I had to switch rod between hands to rest, which never happened before. About ½ spooled I was just hanging in there until the line with my oldest trusted LC snapped during a violent shake – LC you later. I’m 80% sure it was a big leo which I’ve seen there in the past and managed to avoid but poor visibility may have caused the snag that day. With the remaining 20% of possibilities on my mind I made it back.

Negatives for today: Unfashionably late (10 am) start, lower than ideal tide and lack of troughs that were there before.
Positives for today: warmest water so far this year, decent clarity and practically no waves, + Occasional small bait schools.

As I overlooked the beach from a parking spot I saw several people lined up ankle deep in the water facing the ocean with their hands in ‘prayer’ position. Perch fishermen at low tide.. that’s unusual here , but it’s Sunday, I guess.

Since conditions were calm I just walked as far into the ocean as I could and started 360 degree casting. I was far enough that I could not reach the shore with longest casts anymore. I observed several corbinas scattering at my approach, a small leo cruising by, a couple perch hitting my legs and stepped on some flat creature on the bottom. That was a nice ‘immersion’ experience with only concern – the flat, clean uniform sandy bottom lacking structure. I was actually happy to see a bunch of submerged weeds for a change of scenery, and indeed there was a slight depression in that area. After crossing that spot with LC few times I did get a firm hookup and frequent head shakes confirmed my suspicions. I like to herd the halis to the shore but that one run up to shore on its own and got tangled in kelp strings at the water’s edge. I resisted the urge to let this legal go since I may not be getting out playing with them for a while as we’re expecting increase our family and I’ll be doing my playing at home. With a few trips this year in the VC it was more legals than shorts, certainly a rewarding trend.

Hope many had a chance to get out and enjoy these nice weekend conditions. This should continue into next week. Have fun out there.

SOSO
08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
I had a LC You later moment the other day,LOL. Nice catch!

fishshep
08-27-2012, 06:27 AM
:Cool: A nice legal it is !!! :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
08-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Yep that's a nice legal. Enjoy and thanks for sharing

WWO

Wingnut
08-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Nice legal Hali, those are tough to come by lately. :Envious:
I'd trade a LC for legal Halibut... :LOL:
Great job out there!

bones
08-27-2012, 09:06 PM
A legal halibut and a leo sent away with a custom 20 dollar piercing. Sounds like good times to me sir. Good job out there and hope to see you at the HGIV event comming up!

efishent
08-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys, even though I wouldn't make the HG I know it would be a great time for all, have a blast (flying fish everywhere?). i may be getting out one last time with a friend next weekend for a couple hours. I'll be keeping up with ocean's pulse via your reports.

bachiboy
08-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Congrats on getting the legal! Definitely not a bad trade-off for one LC...that, and I'd rather lose an LC to a fish like that than just watch it fly from a bad cast. :Wink: Hope you get to find some more time out there in the waves...

Don

iLLest
08-29-2012, 11:58 AM
LC you later - hahaha...very clever.
Couldnt stop laughing there for a minute.
Nice pickup on that legal.
Welcome to the LC losers club...I think Murrieta_Angler is the president, lol.
He's lost like 30 over the years!

SP Dan
08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi ya efishent,

I luved that twist on words......LC you later - :LOL: ha ha ha!

Congratulations on that fine legal Hali! :Big Smile::Applause: A very healthy looking specimen! :Thumbs Up:

Man.....I would have liked to have read a different ending to the one that got away story!
Ya know....we all have a story like yours.......I'm sure, also including the donation of lures to Poseidon! He enjoys the gifts!

Which LC pattern was it?
If I happen to come across a 5-ft + Leo with the correct jewelery attached...I'll give you a PM for it's return! :LOL:

I hope to hook up with you at the up coming HG4 event!

Thanx for the fun read with pic's! :Cool:

SP dan <"))><