PDA

View Full Version : MAckeral fishing

J-Dub
08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
whens a good time to go mackeral fishing? im trying to find a pier like at huntington beach or seal beach that has good mackeral fishing...or find out even if this is the time to fish for them. anfo info is deeply appreciated!

flyhigh123
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
why mackeral?

bassfishing24/7
08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
why mackeral?
Very popular for catfish bait.

flyhigh123
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Very popular for catfish bait.
lol, too much work for me :D

catch mackeral to catch catfish lol, also need bait to catch mackeral

Ifishtoolittle
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
also need bait to catch mackeral

Ya' don't needs bait fer dem Mackerel! All yall needs is a Kastmaster and a light spinner! :ROFL:

bassfishing24/7
08-27-2012, 12:39 AM
lol, too much work for me :D

catch mackeral to catch catfish lol, also need bait to catch mackeral
All u need is a sabiki rig....

J-Dub
08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
why mackeral?
wow thanks for all the help you guys! lol well i wanted to target mackeral because at the time i do go fishing off piers (which is hardly) i catch mackerals because they are plentiful....i asked when is a good time to go because i dont want to go and get skunked. plus i plan on taking my nephew to go with me and i dont want to get skunked and for him not to have fun fishing because hes been wanting to go fishing

5150fishn
08-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Unfortunatley like all fishing, fishing for mackeral can be great one week and gone the next. 2 weeks ago on friday night I fished Balboa pier and for those fishing for mackeral they were filling ice chests full. I just fished Balboa this Sat. night and I saw maybe a handful caught. They have not been real consistant this summer at least in the Newport area so good luck. Hope you pick the right weekend and it is going off for you.

flyhigh123
08-27-2012, 09:52 AM
What i meant on why mackeral was i remember mackeral fishing when i was younger and it wasn't easy. I would catch maybe 1 or 2, but i feel that with this board, we have so many other options of catching fish. Before this board, i would only catch a few fish here and there and go for what i saw everyone else was doing, but after finding this board, it has opened up my fishing options.

J-Dub
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Unfortunatley like all fishing, fishing for mackeral can be great one week and gone the next. 2 weeks ago on friday night I fished Balboa pier and for those fishing for mackeral they were filling ice chests full. I just fished Balboa this Sat. night and I saw maybe a handful caught. They have not been real consistant this summer at least in the Newport area so good luck. Hope you pick the right weekend and it is going off for you.

thanks for the info i really appreciate it!

J-Dub
08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
What i meant on why mackeral was i remember mackeral fishing when i was younger and it wasn't easy. I would catch maybe 1 or 2, but i feel that with this board, we have so many other options of catching fish. Before this board, i would only catch a few fish here and there and go for what i saw everyone else was doing, but after finding this board, it has opened up my fishing options.

well i usually fish freshwater and lately i havent been doing so well....especially since i can only go on the weekends and by that time most lakes are cleaned out by truck chasers, so i thought maybe a change of scenery would be nice. and mackeral is really the only fish i know how to fish for off the peirs

5150fishn
08-28-2012, 09:49 AM
If you are going to hit the pier use variety to up your chances of catching something. Use a sabiki rig on one pole for the macks and toss a heavy duty setup for a chance at something bigger! I fish the piers quite a bit and I will usually use one rod with 15-20# test and use a 3oz weight about 2-3 ft. above a large single hook with either chovies, squid, or mack and the odds are fairly good that you could get a ray, shark, or even the occasional halibut. Just to up your odds if the macks aren't biting. Good luck!

flyhigh123
08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
how about surf fishing? Seems like those guys are killin it with some nice keepers