PDA

View Full Version : Tornado 1.5 Day 8-20-12 to 8-22-12 8-22-12,Dreamer Charter and 8-24-12 Enterprise 3/4

MasterFisherYY
08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
Excellent fishing aboard the Toronado. Early morning we were looking for kelp patties and had little luck until we came upon one giant one. Caught 1 22lb yellow, couple Do-Do's, as well as the usual lone blue-fin. After that we spent the rest of the day looking for patties and as I mentioned with little luck. Probably at about 11am, we picked up a really nice meter mark and Ray decided to stop. Pretty much wide open for people on light line 20-25lb test. As always choose a lively bait. I remember when I was little I didn't care about the bait and still got bite, but trust me... the time and dedication to choose a lively bait usual gets you bit within a minute. The boat ended up with about 60-70 blue-fin, 1 yellow tail, and 9-12 Mahi-Mahi. First trip with my Trinidad 16na and G-Loomis Pro Blue series rod and all I can say is wow! Great great technology implemented into the new Trinidad, and the Pro-blue rod... marvelous! G-Loomis and Shimano are basically the only rod/reel combos I use together and they have proved themselves worthy of being bought time after time. I recommend using a number 4 circle hook and Seaguar 20lb test. SEAGUAR SEAGUAR SEAGUAR another excellent brand, can't live without it :P! Ended the trip with 8 Blue-Fin, 1 disappeared and I was only allowed to keep 5. Didn't know that I could keep 10 until my friends told me, boy was that a bummer. We were fishing in US waters not Mexican Waters. Anyways I helped a couple brothers out and let them go home with at least some meat to eat, which is good because it went to a good cause. Another side note was that I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the commotion about me. ARE YOU SPONSORED BY G_LOOMIS? Hey can you give me some fish? Ooohohoho is that the new Japenese version of the Trinidad? LOL GOOD TIMES except for the fact that the guy asking the question dropped my new reel on the ground. HEART WRENCHING MOMENT but you gotta scratch and dent it sometimes, eventually you got to stop babying that reel. 0_0 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This concludes the trip aboard the Toronado. Below is the Dreamer 6 pack charter trip.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~3694836949

Well when I came home Wednesday morning craving for more fishing. I hop on my buddies monthly charter on the dreamer and we head on out of the harbor at 9:20pm. Didn't stop for boat although the Long Beach Bait Company have some exceptional cured sardines right now (Dreamer had some from last trip). We head on out to the Catalina squid grounds for a scattered squid marks. Hard for them to congregate as the Seals and Fin Fish kept Butt F***ing us. To make matters worse when they did congregate, we got boarded by the US Coast Guard. Turns out they were looking for a boat that is traveling extremely fast at night along the Catalina shore. Sounds suspicious uh? Anyways we made maybe 40 pieces of squid and continued on to Clemente for white sea bass and monster yellowtail. Lost one yellow but its all good, fishing is fishing. Moved onto some bass spots and the uphill slack current really killed us. As always a monster load of perch, some really nice ones too. If you get your bait to sink deep enough though you'll be rewarded with a nice legal Calico. At about 12:00 we began to head offshore for kelp. As I mentioned above in the Toronado report kelp was hard to come by and the same thing happened to us. We ended up coming home with no exotics but plenty of bass and perch to keep us Asians happy :D. Also heads up I tend to bring freshwater spinning rods for the perch. Really nice fight for the children and the impatient including me lol. Came home with maybe 40 bass, 4 sheephead, 50+? on perch, and the occasional rockfish. Good fishing as always on the Dreamer, its just the kelp and current didn't cooperate with us :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Enterprise 3/4th day trip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well after the Dreamer trip I was pretty stoked. Came home and had a big Black Angus feast. Had a prime rib, fillet migion, and a large lobster tail. Great way to fill up and sleep peacefully until next morning. Well turns out this trip was a surprise to me as I was planning to take Friday off for some more tuna fishing over the weekend. My friend though who loves fishing since I got the whole gang (not gang gang with guns and stuff but gang of friends) hooked. First time he caught limits of bass but this year the bass just would not cooperate. So the past 5 trips he came home empty handed fishing with me. So this was the trip I wanted to make up for those past bad times. Left Alatmios Bay at about 6:20 and headed for San Pedro Bait Co. Really nice large anchovies compared to last months tiny 3 inch fry. Headed for sculpin first and man was I out of date on Sculpin fishing tactics. I saw people all around use plastic and I was like man good luck catching a fish with something that big. Boy was I wrong, by the time I caught on we had a mere 4 minutes to fish and boy, WIDE OPEN KEEPERS on the Sculpin. Caught our limits and then went drifting for rockfish. I was expecting wide open instantaneous bites like the ones i experienced 2 years ago. Yet I was wrong again although we did get a good pick on them. My friend caught a nice Chuckle-head as well as a nice Boccacio. After that we went for some bass fishing which was the rEEL deal for my friend. Yet again bass didn't cooperate and those dam black birds kept diving down to about 60 feet of water to get our bait. Imagine what the bass was thinking when it saw such a thing down there. Scared shitless uh because the bass simply did not want to bite. In the end my group of three caught 15 sculpin, 4 Sand Dabs, 1 Calico bass, 1 Chuckle Head, 3 Salmon Grouper, 3 Vermillion, 1 Rosy, and something I couldn't identify on the charts. Great day if you ask me. Bring at least an 10 ounce weight, hell of a current. 5 inch big hammer baits work wonders for sculpin. For rockfish stick with the anchovies. Tip is to hook 2 nice ones for monster reds. Bass go with either one, your chances will be the same lol.

DockRat
08-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Wow, great report. You have the fever alright.
Thanks for the report.
DR

JapanRon
08-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Hi MasterFisherYY,

Great bunch of reports and variety of fishing. You should have enough fish for a while. How could a fish disappear ? Who said you could only keep five !?! Shades of Hawaii or East Coast Tuna charter trips ??

JapanRon

MasterFisherYY
09-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I know right?!? How could I only keep 5 fish and the fish disappeared probably from some sneaky hands, but its all good. I also can't believe I ate all that tuna, probably going to die from mercury poisoning XD. Also caught a nice 125lb yf during my stay at Hawaii.