PDA

View Full Version : Long Day, Short Fish

Which Way Out
08-26-2012, 03:14 PM
I haven't hit the surf in awhile so I got off my @#%$ and hit the local beaches.
Nothing to really talk about other than a tiny SN and one 19" Halibut.
Lots and lots of weed..:Angry:

WWO

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/HB.jpg

sidified
08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Glad to hear you finally hit the water and got back in touch with reality, matey... Hope your success keeps building on that 19 incher..
Happy Trails..

SP Dan
08-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Congrats on your good luck and I will be looking forward to more of your reads!

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
08-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Glad to hear you finally hit the water and got back in touch with reality, matey... Hope your success keeps building on that 19 incher..
Happy Trails..

Congrats on your good luck and I will be looking forward to more of your reads!

SP Dan <"))><

You 2 missed my reports in the Saltwater Reports section with Mikey. 2 different SWAT reports and 1 other. Need to catch up on the action. It's been a great year so far. :Wink:

See you both at HGIV I hope.

WWO

Lucky Lager
08-27-2012, 09:01 AM
nice going Bill!
a buddy & i had plans to head to oxnard early saturday morning & throw LCs, then target some bsp after greylight. he's been itchin' to do some perchin'.
he ended up having to work OT, so we never made it.....after reading your post, i'm even more bummed now, lol.
i fished the aqueduct & quail lake instead, for a nice fat skunk.
i should know in the next couple weeks if i'll be able to make HG IV, i'll be sure to let you know.
LL

efishent
08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
THanks for update, nice colors on that hali. It was hard to miss the conditions this weekend - too inviting. Did you recognize the bottom pattern after a break? All of my fav holes got covered by sand since beggining the of summer..
I bet you can find nice size butts now ready to feed once you locate their hangout spots..

Wingnut
08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Hey Bill, better than "Long day, no fish..." :LOL:
I finally got my @#! to the surf on Sunday, felt good! :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
nice going Bill!
a buddy & i had plans to head to oxnard early saturday morning & throw LCs, then target some bsp after greylight. he's been itchin' to do some perchin'.
he ended up having to work OT, so we never made it.....after reading your post, i'm even more bummed now, lol.
i fished the aqueduct & quail lake instead, for a nice fat skunk.
i should know in the next couple weeks if i'll be able to make HG IV, i'll be sure to let you know.
LL

Jim the water was all weedy down at the kiddy pool and the bunny slope. Moved up the line to the rock and found some clear lanes. Had a few birds working near the shore so I was hopeful. This little guy hit hard out about 20 yards. The Sexy Blue LC gets em every time...
I hope to see you there..

THanks for update, nice colors on that hali. It was hard to miss the conditions this weekend - too inviting. Did you recognize the bottom pattern after a break? All of my fav holes got covered by sand since beggining the of summer..
I bet you can find nice size butts now ready to feed once you locate their hangout spots..

Most of the water at the first AO was unfishable. Kinda looked like the beach cove I caught my 50 inch SN at. Did see a few small rays. No real trenches it that area. Up the line the beach has a very mild slope. Some structure near where I caught the HB Other than that just a nice day to get back on the beach.

Hey Bill, better than "Long day, no fish..." :LOL:
I finally got my @#! to the surf on Sunday, felt good! :Big Grin:

How are your ankles and calfs today. Mine are sore. Even all the walking I do at work its nothing like putting a day in the waders.

Thank guys for staying in touch.

WWO

bones
08-27-2012, 08:24 PM
That's more butt action than I've got recently Bill....... Go ahead say it :ROFL:
Good job out there my friend....as they say....If there is a shortie.....There is a bigger model somewhere there too.

Keep up the good work soldier!

Which Way Out
08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
That's more butt action than I've got recently Bill....... Go ahead say it :ROFL:
Good job out there my friend....as they say....If there is a shortie.....There is a bigger model somewhere there too.

Keep up the good work soldier!

:Sad: In that case lets start a new Team. We could name it after a buddy of mine, Seymour Butts :ROFL:

Take care of your Butt Mr. Bones

WWO

iLLest
08-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Bill,
It looks like we have all had our share of sitting on our butts and not getting out
Glad you managed to pull in a short one...sure is better than nothing!
Now lets go get them legals!

bachiboy
08-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Way to go Bill! I think I may have matched your weed count this past weekend but that's about it! 3" shy of legal flatfish sure beats 22" shy, eh? :LOL: Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the surf!

Don

dkinla
08-29-2012, 07:21 PM
at least you got out and landed something! that's one more halibut than I've ever caught :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Bill,
It looks like we have all had our share of sitting on our butts and not getting out
Glad you managed to pull in a short one...sure is better than nothing!
Now lets go get them legals!

Frank I have been getting out, mostly on a couple of boats. Check out the Saltwater Section(Not the Surf) for a 3 different reports as far back a early July.
But your right, its "better than nothing". I only planned to go for a few hours. I hit 3 different places. Each had a long walk involved. My calf's are still sore.
Halibut count so far this year is 2 shorts and 3 legals. Biggest was off a boat, 32" I kinda of got side tracked with the WSB this summer..:Cool:

Way to go Bill! I think I may have matched your weed count this past weekend but that's about it! 3" shy of legal flatfish sure beats 22" shy, eh? :LOL: Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the surf!

Don

I like your math Don. But I could count the weed by the TON. I had one backlash that took maybe a minute or so to clear. By the time I was ready to reel in my LC the line was so covered that it took longer to clear it off than the backlash itself.:Angry:

at least you got out and landed something! that's one more halibut than I've ever caught :Big Grin:

Dkinla just keep working at it. Before you know it, one will show up in your reports.

Try make it to HG-4 and introduce yourself. Be sure to bring your Dad.

Thanks everyone
WWO

Bob_B
08-30-2012, 12:47 AM
I would love a short butt from the surf. Just started targeting them about two weeks ago. Can't seem to find them down here in San Diego. After years of BSP, YFC beans etc. I figured it was time to start a new obsession.

Which Way Out
08-30-2012, 06:47 AM
I would love a short butt from the surf. Just started targeting them about two weeks ago. Can't seem to find them down here in San Diego. After years of BSP, YFC beans etc. I figured it was time to start a new obsession.

Be careful Bob, it's like a Tropical Disease, once you get it you can't get rid of it.:LOL: That is of course once you get a legal Halibut from the surf. The head shakes are very telling, you know for sure what its going to be.
Good luck to ya
Have you read the Stickies at the top of the surf sections? It should help to get you into more productive waters.
WWO

Lucky Lager
08-30-2012, 09:25 AM
hey Bill,
there's a chance i might hit the surf this sunday.
might just be last weeks plan agian....but i'm trying to talk my buddy into heading up your way for the greylight bite, then hitting oxnard on the way home for his perch fix.
i'll let you know if it pans out!

murrieta angler
08-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Good to see some peeps getting out in the surf.
I heard someone got a couple of legals up in your neck of the woods...:Big Grin:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

SP Dan
08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Hey Bill,

You are right Bill.... in that I need to get caught up on reports by others and be more supportive to my friends! :Embarrassed:

I've just started working graveyard shift (9:00pm-5:30am); the last couple of weeks, and I can not seem to get my bearings straightened out yet...constantly exhausted. I don't seem to know when to sleep! ha ha ha!
Some times I don"t know what day it is! Give me a little time brotha.....ok?!?? :Cool:

Dan

Which Way Out
08-31-2012, 10:03 PM
Hey Bill,

You are right Bill.... in that I need to get caught up on reports by others and be more supportive to my friends! :Embarrassed:

I've just started working graveyard shift (9:00pm-5:30am); the last couple of weeks, and I can not seem to get my bearings straightened out yet...constantly exhausted. I don't seem to know when to sleep! ha ha ha!
Some times I don"t know what day it is! Give me a little time brotha.....ok?!?? :Cool:

Dan

Dan that's not like an Marine to have excuses... But that's alright, were close to the same age..:ROFL: You might have a couple of years on me thought. Notice I didn't say Ex Marine. Once a Jar Head always a Jar Head right?

Don't worry about it, just be ready at the HG-4 event. See ya there bud.

WWO

Which Way Out
08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
hey Bill,
there's a chance i might hit the surf this sunday.
might just be last weeks plan agian....but i'm trying to talk my buddy into heading up your way for the greylight bite, then hitting oxnard on the way home for his perch fix.
i'll let you know if it pans out!

Jim text me some tips on fishing the aqueduct. I gonna be out that way this weekend. All this cool beach weather is getting to me. Need to get back to my roots and find some hot ground.
Good luck on Sunday

Good to see some peeps getting out in the surf.
I heard someone got a couple of legals up in your neck of the woods...:Big Grin:
Take Care,
Robert
<><

"I heard someone got a couple of legals"

You know how he is. Just walks down the sand to the water and says a few words about how his reel needs this or that and how messed up it is. Then bam fish on. Bam again fish on the beach. Gotta love him thought..

Thanks for checking in Robert, see ya at HG-4. And save me a Burrito please.:Wink:

WWO

Mr_Dunev
09-14-2012, 01:17 AM
Bill bill bill.... You my friend...are AWESOME!!!

I am glad you got out there and beat the skunk with a SNGF and a Hali. If only it was 3" bigger :Big Grin: I plan on coming up to SB soon to visit my God children, and I will have to bring my rod with me... Tell Noriko that we are having korean bbq!! I am sorry I haven't been around, but i will tell you the story soon. You are always a pleasure to fish with, and you always have a smile on your face, which unfortunately is rare with people nowadays.

I wish you the best,
Lucas

DockRat
09-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Lucas where you been ?
DR