PDA

View Full Version : Legg, Peck Road Lake, Arroyo Seco Day!

Troutin Man
08-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Call me crazy, but I left work early today to fish...again...I just have this itch to throw the rod and reel a good fighter in!

I started out at lunch and went over to Legg. My first time there. The first lake, Legg Lake, was pretty nice. Fished there for a bit and caught 1 LMB...nice size on a chartreuse trout worm on a small jig head.

After a while, I drove up to Arroyo Seco Creek near Jet Propulsion Lab. I read about it in a book and decided to hike and give it a shot...thought it might be a bit similar to West Fork/East Fork. The water level was low (it feels like it hasn't rained in a decade). There were a few pools of water and the water rolled on down at a slow pace. I threw in a elk caddis fly, but got no action.

After a while of being bored of not catching anything, I decided to try out Peck Road Park Lake. Interesting place. My first time there also. So parked in the lot and walked to the nearest water point. Threw in my same chartreuse trout worm on small jig head and got action on LMB right away. Caught 2. One very small and one over a pound. Then I tried some wet flies and got some bites but could not set the hook.

It started getting dark so I decided my day of trying out new places was done. Not bad. I think I will definitely try Peck Road Lake and Legg again in the future if leaving work early for a couple hours of fishin'! Why not right?

All in all a great day of learning about waters around LA!

Thisfool
08-25-2012, 12:36 AM
yea legg gets a lot of hate pushed its way but it is a lot of fun there is a huge verity of pan fish and despite what a lot of people say and think there are a lot of bass. when im after the gills i see on average at least 10 lmb in the shallows per trip. there just smart lil buggers so they are not easy to catch.

Ifishtoolittle
08-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Sounds like you had a nice day to fishing.

How's Peck like? Did the place look seedy? I've never been there, but I am really contemplating on going.

bassfishing24/7
08-25-2012, 02:14 AM
Not a bad day catching fish at 2 out of 3 locations,especially at Peck.I live in walking distance from that place and I dont hardly fish there....lol...

bassfishing24/7
08-25-2012, 02:18 AM
Sounds like you had a nice day to fishing.

How's Peck like? Did the place look seedy? I've never been there, but I am really contemplating on going.
Seedy???...lol....its a big moss Pitt right now,the water level is dropped and most of the big fish r holding in deep waters,the best time to go would be in the winter during trout season.

Ifishtoolittle
08-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Seedy???...lol....its a big moss Pitt right now,the water level is dropped and most of the big fish r holding in deep waters,the best time to go would be in the winter during trout season.

lol I meant is the place safe to fish. Pardon my slang lol.

bassfishing24/7
08-25-2012, 09:08 AM
lol I meant is the place safe to fish. Pardon my slang lol.
Why would it not be safe?bums?winos?hobos?as long as ur there during day light u will be fine.now after dark might be a different story...lol.

Troutin Man
08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
It was not bad at all. They made it look nice around the parking lot at least. I was near a couple of trees and the weather was nice. I did see some LMB 3 feet off shore. I would go again for the LMB and panfish. Don't need to drive up to the mountains for that. I don't know about eating trout from there though. I don't know enough about it, but I'm a mpuntain trouter! Love the mountains.

Hey Ifishtoolittle...it wasn't seedy when I was there. Not too many people around and talked to a few nice anglers that caught about 7 panfish. If u live close, then check it out for a couple of hours.