PDA

View Full Version : 8/24/2012 Playa Del Rey 17 inch Spotted Bay Bass

jae4323
08-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Caught another big one today. For the second week in a row i hook up almost immediately upon arriving.
These fish are so strong. Once they hit they always try to pull down towards the rocks.
Before the previous two weeks, i was only catching small calicos in this area. So catching these is a real treat.

Does the color of spotted bay bass vary? The spottie i caught last week seemed darker than the one i caught today.

smokehound
08-25-2012, 12:25 AM

Caught another big one today. For the second week in a row i hook up almost immediately upon arriving.
These fish are so strong. Once they hit they always try to pull down towards the rocks.
Before the previous two weeks, i was only catching small calicos in this area. So catching these is a real treat.

Does the color of spotted bay bass vary? The spottie i caught last week seemed darker than the one i caught today. Like all fish, they can change their colors in a chameleon-like manner to blend in better.

Here's a male I caught a few months back:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/IMG_20120615_034109-1.png

Males tend to be pale with a bright white color to their bodies. Females are usually (but not always) much darker with a darker grey color as opposed to the white, in addition they also have strong yellow coloration to their lips and throats (and bellies). the one pictured above was caught at night, making it appear even more pale.

There are also sneaker males, which assume female patterns to spawn right under the dominant male's nose. Spottie/Sandie Hybrids are rare, but can be identified by an elongated body and an olive green tinge and intermediate fin-ray counts bewtween the two species.

That's a nice beautiful female you got there. What did you catch her on?

jae4323
08-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Like all fish, they can change their colors in a chameleon-like manner to blend in better.

Here's a male I caught a few months back:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/smokehound/IMG_20120615_034109-1.png

Males tend to be pale with a bright white color to their bodies. Females are usually (but not always) much darker with a darker grey color as opposed to the white, in addition they also have strong yellow coloration to their lips and throats (and bellies). the one pictured above was caught at night, making it appear even more pale.

There are also sneaker males, which assume female patterns to spawn right under the dominant male's nose. Spottie/Sandie Hybrids are rare, but can be identified by an elongated body and an olive green tinge and intermediate fin-ray counts bewtween the two species.

That's a nice beautiful female you got there. What did you catch her on?

Thank you for all the information. Very nice presentation.
I always wondered if hybrids occurred on these fish and now i know. Do you happen to have a picture of a hybrid?

By the way, I caught her with a pearl black swim bait coupled with a orange war bait head.