PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to TroutOnly

sum_of_all_parts
08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
My wife and I (Carol and Mike) are the clients that Bob took fishing on Castaic Lake, yesterday. I noted he posted pictures of us and rather than clutter the forum with more pictures of my wife and I grinning and holding fish, I thought it more appropriate to say thank you for a wonderful fishing experience.

I had first caught striped bass with my late father. We fished the river runs in the Feather and Sacramento River and my father described the striped bass as one of the most beautiful fish that he had the good fortune to catch. When I fished for them, we fished from the shore, tossing out chunks of sardine and waiting for the bite. When I went to college, grad school, and start working, fishing time was limited. It was only the past three years that I learned that these stripers can be in Castaic and Pyramide Lake (yeah, I know I am a slow learner, but what can I say). However, knowing nothing about the fishing strategy employed on this type of fishing, I decided to see if Bob could take us out on the water. He could, and as they would say, the rest is history.

The day out on the water was wonderful. As you know Bob has an encyclopedic fund of fishing information, so we learned a lot about striped bass, feeding patterns, how to read a fish finder. He showed us the strategy in approaching a "boil" and he put me on my first "boiler" striper. If there is a theme to this rather rambling note, it is for the people new to fishing Castaic or Pyramide Lake, "Hire a guide". It may seem expensive, but if you are serious about learning about the lake and finding ways to fish it efficiently, a guide is a good investment. It will make your latter fishing trips that much more efficient. This is not to say we won't ask to fish with Trout Only again, we will. We like Bob's attitude and his companionship.

Mike

trail blazer
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
That will absolutely be the best fishing $ you ever spent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GREAT CHOICE ON GUIDE,S.

Ive been catching stripers for 36 years and iv thought abought using his services myself.

TRAIL BLAZER

fishinone
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
TO is the most consistent guide that I'm aware of. I've met some guides who talked a good game.

Bob is the guide who shows you his game.

Fish-On!

mamachipy
08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
You hit the nail on the head with that post Mike. It was good meeting you and your wife out there on those boils and it was even better seeing you with that huge grin on your face after your first boil catch. I hope you guys stayed on them after we left.

The other MIKE

sum_of_all_parts
08-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks Mike,

It was good to see you and becoming a member of the fraternity. I had thought boiler fishing was a saltwater-only event. I can understand the addiction to fishing just the boils: there is a surge of adrenaline and seeing those stripers slamming into the shad and wheeling birds, trying to snap up shad from the surface . Our best fish was caught on the boil. There was a really long boil beyond the barrier. It must have lasted 10 minutes and the gulls were dive bombing the water. If one can sneak up on a boil like that and have have a shot of a couple bass, boy that will be exciting.

Mike

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
nicely said.....congrats on your stellar day

Way ta rock,
Gary

TroutOnly
09-12-2012, 07:11 AM
THANK YOU MIKE ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,