PDA

View Full Version : O'Neill Forebay ?

MonsterGuppy
08-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Planning on a striper trip the end of Sept. I,ve had good luck at San Antonio, but may want to try out O'Neill Forebay. Really never hear much about this lake any info from some striper junkies?

dk4885
08-23-2012, 07:01 PM
was there 3 weeks ago lots of 18'' 20'' fish around check 12,

cutbait
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
No experience at oneil and san luis but From what I gather the avg fish are like dk describes... shaker size..

Id stick with san a if your havin luck... just my 2 cents..

But something to be said for exploring new water and havin a great time

MonsterGuppy
08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Thanks dk and cb for the info, its the same drive time from my house to San Antonio or San luis res @ 4hrs, after cheking the DFG web site looks like a 2 fish limit at SLR Ill be talking my best bull to get my buddys to fish SA lol.

cutbait
08-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah,, only San Antonio, Margie and I think new hogan? Are exempt from the 2 and 18 limits north of the grapevine..

Almador? Now it bugs I can't remember

MonsterGuppy
08-23-2012, 10:15 PM
off the dfg web site as of feburary this year:
5.75. Striped Bass.
(a) Open season: All year except for closures listed in special regulations.
(b) Limit: Two, except in waters listed in (d) below.
(c) Minimum size: 18 inches total length except in waters listed in (d) below.
(d) Exceptions: (1) In the Colorado River District, the Southern District (except Lake Elsinore, and New Hogan, San Antonio and Santa Margarita lakes (A) Limit: Ten.
(B) Minimum size: No size limit.

(2) Lake Elsinore has the limit and minimum size shown in (b) and (c) above.

(e) For the purpose of these regulations, any striped bass hybrid with white bass is considered to be striped bass.

Spear Hunter
08-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Monsterguppy fished the forebay many times I use to live in Los Banos, it's been years since Ive been there but there are big fish in there by check 12, the 152 hwy bridge ,and the hwy 33 crossing this is where the aqueduct starts. Also make the 10 mile drive into Los Banos and eat at Wool Growers Restaurant it's in downtown Los Banos great prime rib and it's cheap

MonsterGuppy
08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Monsterguppy fished the forebay many times I use to live in Los Banos, it's been years since Ive been there but there are big fish in there by check 12, the 152 hwy bridge ,and the hwy 33 crossing this is where the aqueduct starts. Also make the 10 mile drive into Los Banos and eat at Wool Growers Restaurant it's in downtown Los Banos great prime rib and it's cheap

Thanks now thats some great info, after talking to my fishing buddys the forebay is a for sure trip. We'll be driving up Friday night 9-28 fishing Saturday/Sunday then the drive home. Well be staying at the campground across the hwy so Im guessing it will be ok to get the boat inspected in the AM.

Spear Hunter
08-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Monsterguppy I would just use the campground at the forebay it's within walking distance of check 12 it has hook ups for a rv and restrooms. If you were planning to stay at the KOA off 152 my friend that lives in Los Banos told me a few years ago not to camp there seems there was some trouble in the past there with long term residents so the wife and I stayed at the forebay it was a good choice