PDA

View Full Version : 6 horse versus 15

Askwhy
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Ok I know I am going to get a lot of differing comments on this topic but hopefully I can get some opinions from those that have experienced my deliema.
I currently have a 6 horsepower Yamaha on my 12 foot aluminum boat but was thinking of upgradeing to a Yamaha 9.9 untill I noticed that my boat is high end rated for a 15 horsepower . Since the 9.9 and the 15 basically costs the same and there is no weight difference I would go with the 15 . My question is have any of you switched over from a smaller motor and realized that even though your boat is rated for a 15 it's just to much motor ? And if I drive the boat alone is the boat going to be heavy on the back side putting the front end straight up from to much power ? Thanks in advance.

fishfinder
08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
i have a 13.5' gregor with a 20hp on it. would not go smaller. i sugest you get the biggest motor you can get away with on that thing. 6hp is way to slow.

jerryG
09-03-2012, 10:46 PM
The 9.9 horse power would be a huge improvement over the 6 horse and the 15 horse will be huge improvement over the 9.9.. For the same amount of weight your getting 50% more horse power. I used to fish with a guy who had a 12 foot aluminum with a 15 horse and the motor and it was perfect. I wouldn't even second guess it I would just go with the 15. Your 12" aluminum will move with a 15.. Put a trim stabilizer wing on the motor and your bow will be fine.

Jerryg

Big Daddy
09-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok I know I am going to get a lot of differing comments on this topic but hopefully I can get some opinions from those that have experienced my deliema.
I currently have a 6 horsepower Yamaha on my 12 foot aluminum boat but was thinking of upgradeing to a Yamaha 9.9 untill I noticed that my boat is high end rated for a 15 horsepower . Since the 9.9 and the 15 basically costs the same and there is no weight difference I would go with the 15 . My question is have any of you switched over from a smaller motor and realized that even though your boat is rated for a 15 it's just to much motor ? And if I drive the boat alone is the boat going to be heavy on the back side putting the front end straight up from to much power ? Thanks in advance.

You had stated that both motors way the same cost close to the same "No Brainer my friend " the 15. There is nobody in there right mind that will tell you any different and if the do don't listen to them because they don't know what they are talking about. Enjoy your new power your going to be very happy.

drifter023
09-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I had a real light 12ft. before and ran a 15 hp. motor the front end did come way up when the wind was blowing hard and I was alone if had somebody in the front no problem. If was alone anchor and extra anchor up front would keep it down just fine 15hp. 12ft. is great fun...:Big Grin:

Askwhy
09-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Thanks to all of you that replied , I bought the 15 horse and man what a difference glad I went with the 15 for only 300 dollars more versus the 9.9,my boat is so fast now it's kind of scary lol

fishmounter
09-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Have your motor tilted at the correct angle should help keep the bow down when you are fishing alone. But to avoid that problem, you should just take me along. I'll keep that boat on an even keel! Lol!