PDA

View Full Version : Trout worms question!

esteban1t
08-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Well catching fish isn't a problem for me while i am using the trout worms , but i like to C&R but when ever i catch a fish they always seem to swallow the worm -___- i lip hook some of them but most of the time they swallow it.... any advice on how to lip hook them more ? I can lip hook the crappie and bass , but its just the trout that im having trouble with . :Sad:

adriiiian
08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Just try to keep full contact with your bait by raising your rod tip a lil so that you can set the hook as soon as you feel a bite. thats what I do and i always lip hook them.

esteban1t
08-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks ! ill see if that works for me sunday ! :Fishing Hole:

Thisfool
08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Just try to keep full contact with your bait by raising your rod tip a lil so that you can set the hook as soon as you feel a bite. thats what I do and i always lip hook them.

x2

i was going to say just be more attentive to the bait. even if you give some slack as long as you set the hook immediately after the strike you should lip them

DEVOREFLYER
08-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Crimp the barb on the hook down (barbless). If they swallow it you will not harm them in removing the hook and by paying attention to your line and drag you will not lose any either.

esteban1t
08-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks to all you guys !

DC5fishR
08-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I typically ds power worms and are in contact with the rod the whole time. Almost all of the time the trout/other fish will get lip hooked. If I just let it sit unattended, I usually have the same problem you have with them swallowing it.

spooks
08-25-2012, 02:34 PM
will circle hooks do the trick?

DEVOREFLYER
08-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I use hooks in size 8 to 16 for trout and have never seen circle hooks that small.

Piss on Myspace
08-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Step your game up and throw some jigs.....1/64-1/32 head....i recommend jigs since you like to a) fish artificals, b) C&R, and c) 99.9% of the time the fish is hooked in the lip. If u pinch the barb and have a pair of hemostats (pliers), theres no need to touch the fish or take him completely out of the water to release
T-worms were the first presentation i caught a fish with, but now throwing those becomes a lil mundane...the tap tap tap using a t/w is nothing like the violent strike of a fish hitting your jig.

To give u more info, we will need to know how your fishing the worms.

esteban1t
08-25-2012, 06:32 PM
I use jigs when i am not using trout worms and always lip hook them , im just asking about the trout worms cause when i use them they tend to inhale them . but im going tomorrow so ill test out your guys' advice ! Thanks so much ! ill post a report and let you guys know how it goes.

Piss on Myspace
08-26-2012, 01:15 PM
How are yourself rigging your worms? Using the dropshot will increase your lip rate dramatically. With other presentations u have to have a quick set and not allow alot of slack in the line...u wont feel the bite with too much slack, thus allowing them time to swallow the hook