PDA

View Full Version : Need to get kid into something, anything??

bitesomthing
08-22-2012, 06:26 AM
OK guys need a little help with choice?

My eight year old son has put in lots of time on the water with very little results. This weekend my son in law ( who only has enough fishing knowledge to get himself in trouble) wants to take my son lake fishing for his birthday, they are not targeting anything specific and all is gonna be C&R. they just would like to have enough action to not be bored.

Going to be shore fishing

If this was your choice, where in Southern Calif would you advise them to go??? Like i said they would be happy with good size Blue gill, they just want to be bit.?
also what would you recommend as bait??????
Even if its a pay lake it doesn't matter i just want them to catch......................:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan :

Thank you

Chris

TROUT MASTERS
08-22-2012, 06:51 AM
Lower castaic is good for gills with small red worm by the camp area,have 3 boys myself 9,15,16, year olds they all start it to fish the lagoon when they were
2 years old,always had luck there with the kids,or if you want check Troutdale off of 101 north.(paid lake)
Good luck.

SHOOTER2496
08-22-2012, 06:59 AM
OK guys need a little help with choice?

My eight year old son has put in lots of time on the water with very little results. This weekend my son in law ( who only has enough fishing knowledge to get himself in trouble) wants to take my son lake fishing for his birthday, they are not targeting anything specific and all is gonna be C&R. they just would like to have enough action to not be bored.

Going to be shore fishing

If this was your choice, where in Southern Calif would you advise them to go??? Like i said they would be happy with good size Blue gill, they just want to be bit.?
also what would you recommend as bait??????
Even if its a pay lake it doesn't matter i just want them to catch......................:UDaMan::UDaMan::UDaMan :

Thank you

Chris

Hey chris lately i've been going to park lakes with my baby bro (age 7) and we have been catching bass and catfish. I really have'nt hit any other lakes but I've been hearing that puddingstone lake and legg lake is doing good for catfish, small blugill and bass. If you want to PM me i could tell you the spots that my family dose really well for bass, bluegill, catfish, crappie and redear.
This website gives reports on most lakes in Socal, hope this helps

http://www.outdoornewsservice.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=1&Itemid=58If

- Anthony

esteban1t
08-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Well it may be a little bit of a drive, depending on where you are located, but Green Valley Lake is usually pretty good on shore. The side parallel to the boat dock is good. Cast out a half night crawler under a bobber or inflate it and you should hook up quickly on a trout or crappie. Powerbait might work but i usually don't use it cause sometimes they are picky about that, but the night crawler never fails. Oh, and if you are lucky, they are rare there but there are some monster blue gill that i have caught. well good luck !

Tubbytuba
08-22-2012, 03:21 PM
my opinion, if you have littles that you want to get on some fish then you have to bait n' wait with an inflated nightcrawler. it will catch anything in the lake, trout, prowling catfish(from big 10lbs channels to tiny bullheads), wandering bass, bluegills, crappie... anything. this is my set up for lake Gregory, i use a 6'6 spining pole, 6lb line with a sliding sinker rig, i use a 5/8ths oz for distance (tell me if you dont know how to make the rig) with a short (12in-20in) 4lb fluorocarbon leader. size 8 bait holder hooks for tiny gills and big trout or kitties. use small crawlers and inflate them with a worm injector so they float off the bottom. big worms aren't bad but they wont catch as many fish in my experience. at lest while fishing from shore. but over all experiment, different leader length, leader strength, worm sizes, hook sizes distance from shore.... i slay bullheads at gregory with this set up, key is the small worms that are 3inch or less. less is better... hope you guys have a slay.