PDA

View Full Version : Father & son

BTY
08-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Well its been a long time coming so here's the report.

Went down to the sbh Friday evening for a walk with my son. After my son twisted my arm to bring the rod and reel with us I looked all over the truck and could only find a shrimp colored BH. I figured perfect for the grass bass butt I turned out to be a halibut color that night!

After a few cast I get a backlash and am frustrated with my new reel finally pull the backlash out and start to reel in the line feel wieght at the end of the line set the hook and its on. Turned out to be 26" Hali on the end of the line. Great time out with my son post a pic as soon as I can

Lucky Lager
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Always nice to get out with the kids....even better when you land a quality fish!
I can't tell you how many times I've expected to be snagged on the bottom, due do a bird's nest or some other complication, and then get a strike when I finally start the retrieve. I was in the middle of telling my buddy that very thing, (while unraveling a bird's nest) & before I could finish the story, I got it cleared & started to retrieve.....bam! fish on.
It's crazy how often they hit it in that situation.
Congrats on the sweet catch!
LL

bachiboy
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
You always envision the 'perfect' cast. The one where it goes exactly where you had intended it...the line melts off the reel and goes farther than you even expected it. Then there's that flopper...backlash, short, ugly...the one that you look around to make sure no one was watching. THAT turns into the perfect cast when it yields a fish like that..especially when your with your son.

Congrats on making the PERFECT CAST!!!!!
Don

DockRat
08-21-2012, 05:20 AM
Great job on the Hali.
DR

Wingnut
08-25-2012, 11:20 AM
That's awesome! The best catch is sometimes the unexpected ones. :Wink:

SP Dan
08-27-2012, 12:39 AM
A great fish and even greater memories with your son.....priceless! :)

Thanx for the fish report! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

bones
08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
From backlash to legal......Doesn't get better than that swing :ROFL:
I've been fishing for 43 years and the most memorable times that stick out in my heart are the times I spent with my pops on the water and with my kids as well. Don't get me wrong .... my fishing buddies meen alot to me but the other memories have the capability to bring a tear to my eye.
Cherrish your time with your son.....I know he always will for sure.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work pops!

flyngby
08-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Amasing what happens when the bait sits there motionless! I think those of us that have chose to keep it fast and furious with the artificals can learn a lesson from this. I too have experienced the same results on some quality "Spotties" in NPH while feeling down in the dumps about my casting abilities

Keep the rig in the truck at all times and when your kid decides to give it a go again you are well prepared! I back up what "Bones" has already said!

Steve

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z286/flyngby/CityShrimp.jpg