PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing ????

TROUT MASTERS
08-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Just have a question wat kind of line do all you surf pros use have a 8 ft baitcaster and a shimano reel just,fiend gave me his lucky crafts
so want to try some surf fishing.
Thanks for all you info

skunked4life
08-20-2012, 01:19 PM
I use #15 Power Pro Braid for LC's and the same set up with a #8 flouro leader when targeting the smaller pelagic surf species like BSP and YFC's. I know others who have used even lighter line but the 8 pound gives me the sensitivity plus peace of mind that I won't lose too many fish. That is the extent of my limited knowledge on this point.

Which Way Out
08-20-2012, 09:19 PM
First off I am no expert, but I have stayed at an Holiday Inn a few times.

I suggest reading the surf fishing Stickys in this section. I don't recall if line size is mention.

Myself I have used as high as 15lb in the surf with LC's. Depending on the structure, ie; Rocks and what not.

Surf fishing can be a big mixed bag of goodies. The BSP (Barred Surf Perch) you can use 6 to 8lb line. Of course that might be with a grub set up. With an LC and the replace cost, I step up to at least 15lb. Now if a WSB were to come along and spool you like what happen earlier this year to a few guys, you might want to have a few rods with larger reels and heavier line. But for your standard fare of surf fishing an LC, I would throw nothing less than 12 if not 15lb. I go with the spectra and top it with 150 feet of mono. A lot less expensive to replace a 100+ feet of top shot than an entire reel.

Good luck
WWO

PS, Bring your new LC's to the 4th Annual Hunting Gaints event. You will get a crash course in Surf fishing from the best.

TROUT MASTERS
08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Thank you so much for all your info.
Good Luck.