PDA

View Full Version : Chasing Tail In La Jolla

Poxy Boggards
08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
What's up FNN,

Hasty plans were thrown together yesterday evening to head down to La Jolla to chase some tail today. I didn't end up the the tail I was looking for, but I did get some tail. Beggars Can't Be Choosers.

Caught on a spider hitch dropper, with a sardine close to the bottom in 110 feet of water.

Bait was plentiful first thing in the AM, but found them more reluctant to bite a bare sabiki in the later morning hours. First cast into a bait boil yielded 4 nice Sardines, then came a few greenies followed by a few smelt.

Fish came on the drift, hit it hard, gave a really nice run skidding on top of the water before going airborne. Before I saw him I thought I had the right kind, but I was pleased just to be pulling on a big fish, and to have something to take home for the 180 mile round trip.

DFG was on the beach and and took the length and girth, and she tried to weigh the shark, but it bottomed out her 60 pound spring scale with ease. I'm guessing about 7 foot tip to tip. It's amazing how big of a stir even a small shark has on a crowded beach of swimmers.

There was even a hottie who was brave and strong enough to hold it up for a pic which she was nice enough to send me.

Good times, and I got some tail afterall!

Which Way Out
08-19-2012, 09:08 PM
We saw a few up this way today also. Congrats

WWO

Poxy Boggards
08-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Thanks WWO!

Jackpot Jimmy
08-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Great tail, indeed. Congrats on the thresher! :Thumbs Up:

Poxy Boggards
08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks Jimmy!

HawgStalker
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Thats awesome man.... Growing up in Dago my buddies and I know that La Jolla kelp pretty well! Never hung a thresher but we did catch a small mako a few years back..... Theres alot of resident 'tail down there too, yellow that is! Lol

Thanks for the report!

exfactor
08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
please send pic of angler holding up the hottie!!!!!

Poxy Boggards
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Thats awesome man.... Growing up in Dago my buddies and I know that La Jolla kelp pretty well! Never hung a thresher but we did catch a small mako a few years back..... Theres alot of resident 'tail down there too, yellow that is! Lol

Thanks for the report!

Yeah, still waiting for that first HG yellow from the Yak. I want to go for a ride!

Poxy Boggards
08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
please send pic of angler holding up the hottie!!!!!

HA, now that would be nice for the angler!

murrieta angler
08-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Sweet looking Thresher!
Thanks for the short report.
Robert
<><

JapanRon
08-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Poxy Boggards,

Sounds like it had to be a good fight. Congrats.

JapanRon