PDA

View Full Version : silverwood info?

Tubbytuba
08-18-2012, 04:02 PM
i was hoping to hit silverwood this weekend for catfish but i heard there was a pier there that people used to catch stripers? i haven't gone for a while and i never saw any pier there. i would usually never ask such a thing but my boat needs a new motor.

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2012, 04:08 PM
It's not a pier it's the marina boat dock that people use.

Tubbytuba
08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
do you know if anyone catches anything off of it or should i just find a cove and fish for cats?

DEVOREFLYER
08-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Silverwood fishing report from last week:

SILVERWOOD: The catfish bite has continued pretty good in most of the coves, at the dam, the inlet and around the marina on cut baits and nightcrawlers. Small stripers continue to show in fair to good numbers in Chemise, Sawpit, and around the marina docks. Most of the stripers are under two pounds. Most of the fish have been on nightcrawlers with a few on cut baits. The largemouth bass bite has been fair to good with the best bite on nightcrawlers and plastics with some topwater in the mornings. The bite on small bluegill remains good on wax worms, crickets, meal worms, and red worms in most coves and around the marina, but the crappie bite has shut down. No recent DFG trout plants in the lake, but the odd rainbow is still being caught. Miller Canyon Creek, above the lake, was planted with trout by the DFG two and four weeks ago. Dock fishing is allowed for $3 for adults, $2 for kids and seniors. The park is again open seven days a week. Information: marina 760-389-2299, state park 760-389-2281, Silverwood Country store 760-389-2423.

seal
08-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Silverwood fishing report from last week:

SILVERWOOD: The catfish bite has continued pretty good in most of the coves, at the dam, the inlet and around the marina on cut baits and nightcrawlers. Small stripers continue to show in fair to good numbers in Chemise, Sawpit, and around the marina docks. Most of the stripers are under two pounds. Most of the fish have been on nightcrawlers with a few on cut baits. The largemouth bass bite has been fair to good with the best bite on nightcrawlers and plastics with some topwater in the mornings. The bite on small bluegill remains good on wax worms, crickets, meal worms, and red worms in most coves and around the marina, but the crappie bite has shut down. No recent DFG trout plants in the lake, but the odd rainbow is still being caught. Miller Canyon Creek, above the lake, was planted with trout by the DFG two and four weeks ago. Dock fishing is allowed for $3 for adults, $2 for kids and seniors. The park is again open seven days a week. Information: marina 760-389-2299, state park 760-389-2281, Silverwood Country store 760-389-2423.

So is the fishing good around the Marina:Big Grin:?

DEVOREFLYER
08-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Ya can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink. However ya can show him where the trough is.:Envious:

RTG
08-20-2012, 07:19 PM
There's a good topwater striper bite around the marina first thing in the morning and sometimes in the evening. Schoolie size. You have to hike in before the lake opens or after closing to take advantage. I realize you inquired about the cats, but I thought you might be interested in this as well.
For cats, try the back of Cleghorn below the campground with your favorite bait. The drive-in areas (OHV trails) are good at night too. As always-beware. Lots of vermin in the area that like to break into parked vehicles!

Tubbytuba
08-21-2012, 05:25 PM
how about the dam, RTG? i heard it was free to park over there, i feel like you would have to bring a forest adventure pass.

seal
08-22-2012, 07:24 AM
how about the dam, RTG? i heard it was free to park over there, i feel like you would have to bring a forest adventure pass.

No pass needed at the dam, if you drive up the dirt road to the back of the lake then pass needed. If you are fishing nights at the dam then like RTG said before be careful there have been numerous vehicles broken in the past, heck I have been there when they have been broken into during the daylight!

RTG
08-22-2012, 01:13 PM
No pass needed at the dam, if you drive up the dirt road to the back of the lake then pass needed. If you are fishing nights at the dam then like RTG said before be careful there have been numerous vehicles broken in the past, heck I have been there when they have been broken into during the daylight!

Regarding the Adventure "rippoff", err, pass, I was told that due to the recent lawsuit ruling the Forest Service cannot charge for an "AP" in areas that do not have amenities. For example; the dirt road we are talking about at Silverwood is just that-a dirt road and nothing more. No picnic tables, porta-potties, etc. So in essence they can't charge for the AP. Now go to a day-use area that has those things and they can charge. Some signs still exist in areas where the AP isn't needed, and I asked a USFS employee about that. He kind of grinned and told me that they haven't got around to removing them yet. BTW- funds for road repair do not come from the AP. It is a different source. I would definitely check with the USFS first regarding this, but I think the info is correct.

Skyler
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
From my understanding, the dam and all of the shoreline access areas are owned by State Parks & Recreation, so the Adventure Pass is not applicable. But like RTG said, there has been a recent ruling that determined the Adventure Pass to be double taxation, so I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

Tubbytuba
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
the pass is a total rip off i agree. thanks for all the input i've never fished near the dam think i'll do that instead of the marina. i have a friend who i'm gonna try to get on some fish, and i figured the dam wont have as much pressure. hope to slay some kitties, maybe a few micro stripeys as well... we shall see haha

seal
08-23-2012, 07:25 AM
Interesting I heard about all this but didn't know that a determination had been made yet. There are bathrooms and ammenities back there off the beach but like Skyler said they are Silverwood State rec. stuff so I guess it's ok to not have a pass now. Maybe the sign is down now I just haven't really noticed it, I'll check possibly this afternoon.