PDA

View Full Version : Tenkara - what type of line?

Ultralight
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I have a few Tenkara rods but in truth, never fished it yet.

I'll be using it in about a week for trout.

Question: I thought I could just use a 4 lb test fluoroline tied to the tip and a fly at the end. Is that not advisable?

What type of line do I need? A bit confused as there seem to be two types of line for Tenkara: Tenkara Line and Level Line. What are the differences?

And what type of flies should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

The Fishing Queen
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Tenkara line is a braided line, it will work fine and cast pretty smoothly. Another kind of line is called 'level line', which I use very often for catching all of those trout and panfish and I love it. I use 4.5 level line (not 4 lb line, just a number for level line and I believe it is 17lb line), I also used 3x tippet attach to the level line with a fly. I have both kinds of line as above, and fished with both types, there is a little difference between them, Tenkara line is more soft than the level line, but they both cast out just fine to me.

As for the flies that works for trout, I like Elk Hair Caddies, Adam Fly, Japanese traditional fly. Sometime you do need to match the hatch, see what kind of bugs or flies that trout are feeding on, and find one fly that imitate like it.

seal
08-18-2012, 11:10 AM
3x tippet is a little heavy for small trout and small fly's, especially dry's? Do you use the thicker line because of the lack of drag? I'd think 3x would affect how many strikes you get but you seem to do very well Queen, just curious on the differences between Western and Tenkara.

The Fishing Queen
08-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Seal, You can use 6x tippet for small trout or panfish, but I like to use a 3x tippet because I am always prepared for catching the bigger trout. Some of the trout that I caught were pretty good sized fish. Even so, I lost three trout in the past due to the brown trout's strong and sharp teeth - it cut off my 3x tippet line and took off with the flies. Plus, when we pull the line to land the big fish, the stronger tippet works better at not lossing the fish by breaking off the line. I got used to fishing with a heavy line and have no problem with delivering a dry fly. I guess expierence comes with a lot of practice, or maybe I just have a million dollar right arm? :LOL:

seal
08-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Seal, You can use 0x tippet for small trout or panfish, but I like to use a 3x tippet because I am always prepared for catching the bigger trout. Some of the trout that I caught were pretty good sized fish. Even so, I lost three trout in the past due to the brown trout's strong and sharp teeth - it cut off my 3x tippet line and took off with the flies. Plus, when we pull the line to land the big fish, the stronger tippet works better at not lossing the fish by breaking off the line. I got used to fishing with a heavy line and have no problem with delivering a dry fly. I guess expierence comes with a lot of practice, or maybe I just have a million dollar right arm? :LOL:

Yea I thought it might have something to do with the landing of the fish, but 0x? Trout are pretty line shy but I know in some waters I wouldn't use anything smaller than 3x (like crowley) but on a stream I'd think small line diameter would be more successful, oh well shows ya what I know!

The Fishing Queen
08-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Well, seal, I made a typo, just chill, OK? We all know that a smaller tippet number means a thicker line. 6x is what I meant. I didn't check the post carefully until after I came back home.

Ultralight, info on the tippet, for trout, 4X tippet for flies size 16 or larger, 5X for 18 & 20, and 6X for 22 and smaller.

VIVID_FLY
08-19-2012, 07:28 AM
I have a few Tenkara rods but in truth, never fished it yet.

I'll be using it in about a week for trout.

Question: I thought I could just use a 4 lb test fluoroline tied to the tip and a fly at the end. Is that not advisable?

What type of line do I need? A bit confused as there seem to be two types of line for Tenkara: Tenkara Line and Level Line. What are the differences?

And what type of flies should I use?

Thanks in advance for any help.

UL

What Model of Tenkara rod do you have...and what length?

I use level line 3.5# and i also use Spectra "kevlar" furled leader by Tenkara USA. along with 6x tippet ...

seal
08-19-2012, 07:34 AM
Well, seal, I made a typo, just chill, OK? We all know that a smaller tippet number means a thicker line. 6x is what I meant. I didn't check the post carefully until after I came back home.

Ultralight, info on the tippet, for trout, 4X tippet for flies size 16 or larger, 5X for 18 & 20, and 6X for 22 and smaller.

Hee hee! Yea I was a bit perplexed but I would never doubt the Queen! Thanks for the clarification.

Cartman
08-19-2012, 09:48 AM
I am not a tenkara expert like the other anglers who have posted, but I will throw in my two cents worth. I think you need a heavy "level line" to push that little fly out there. I don't tenkara much, but I use 20 lb Yo-Zuri Fluorocarbon for my level line. The 25 lb seemed too stiff. Even with the 20 lb I have to stretch the memory out before I use it. I got some bright pink at Johnny's Sporting Goods in Pasadena because they didn't have any red. I use a double uni knot to tie on some three or four pound fluorocarbon for the "tippit." It seems to work OK. Does this sound like reasonable advice, Vivid_Fly?

VIVID_FLY
08-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I am not a tenkara expert like the other anglers who have posted, but I will throw in my two cents worth. I think you need a heavy "level line" to push that little fly out there. I don't tenkara much, but I use 20 lb Yo-Zuri Fluorocarbon for my level line. The 25 lb seemed too stiff. Even with the 20 lb I have to stretch the memory out before I use it. I got some bright pink at Johnny's Sporting Goods in Pasadena because they didn't have any red. I use a double uni knot to tie on some three or four pound fluorocarbon for the "tippit." It seems to work OK. Does this sound like reasonable advice, Vivid_Fly?

I was using some " found in the trash can 20 or 25 lb fluorocarbon and it was ok on my Amago 13'6" rod. But 12lb will work fine. I easily cast 15 foot lengths accurately with #16 fly ... I stretch and run through my hand to straighten before each fishing session. There is a tenkara knot to add tippet to the level line.
I have used blood knots or double surgeon's knot also. Its really up to the person.

I usually use 6x tippet ... just mono.... \

Jon is the 3 and 4 lb fluorocarbon good for cinch or improved cinch knot (supple) for small hooks #16 #18.

Cartman
08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Vivid_Fly, you know I'm not a fly-fishing guy. If I don't have fluorocarbon I use whatever is handy. I usually tie a palomar knot if the line is thin enough to pass through the eye twice, and I've never had trouble tying a cinch knot in fluorocarbon that I remember. I think the reason I even ventured a post in this thread was to translate some of the fly-fishing terminology into regular fishing language. I had a hard time at first understanding level line 5# and was trying to cast 6 pound line until the Fishing Queen clued me in that 5# was secret fly-fishing code not regular mono line rating. I should probably have kept my nose out of stuff I don't know nothing about, but once I got some heavy line (and I think fluorocarbon is heavier than regular mono) things seemed to work for me. Maybe it would help if you could translate like "6x tippit" into regular fishing language, too. Tippit is just the three or four feet of line you tie at the end. Tenkara fishing doesn't require the investment regular fly fishing does, so people may not know all the terminology but still want to tie up a rig to try it out.

seal
08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Here's a chart I found but tippet diameter can vary dependent on the line type.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f179/sealfishing/tippetflysizechart.jpg

Cartman
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Seal, that can be very handy for people who want to buy something that will "just do." Thanks for posting that. Probably best to go by diameter than pound test, when making a substitution, huh?

seal
08-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Seal, that can be very handy for people who want to buy something that will "just do." Thanks for posting that. Probably best to go by diameter than pound test, when making a substitution, huh?

Yes even when you are talking about line for regular fishing diameter can be different from line to line.