PDA

View Full Version : Lake Isabella and the heat!!!!!!!!!!!

my snuggles
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't know why nobody has posted about Isabella, but the fishing is great if you can stand the heat. Wifey and I went camping there Sunday through today and Crappie and Catfish everywhere.
Started trolling Monday solo just to see what is going on and checking the lake out, to my surprise could not keep the rigs in the water long. It was either Catfish or Crappie, so I continued catching and releasing all awhile checking out my fish finder to find a place to jig for crappie. Trolling I was using the expensive rapalas from Gamakatsu about 3 colors in 25 - 30 ft of water.
On Tuesday and Wednesday we got serious with the crappie and it was great on mini jigs and nuggets, 2lb test for pound to pound and a half. Seen many folkes with fish over 2lbs. I even lost one close to 3 lbs because net was not handy and I tried lifting him over the side, the crappie smile and laughed at me for being so lazy about the net, it was definetly a wall mount for me. We limited out both days, I am trying to attach photos but it will not let me.
All n all everything was great except the heat, for lunch we would go up high enough to beat the heat and check out the sequoias. They for some reason are draining the lake, heard Bakersfield needs water and heard that dam is in need of repair. Hopefully they do not destroy this fishery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cutbait
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Sorry to inform you that the only reason there is a Lake isabella is for Bakersfield to have water..

Creating the fishery...... soooooooo?????

JAG107
08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for posting. Has anyone heard anything about the status of the kokanee in the lake?? It's very hard to get info on these fish. They planted them 3 years ago I believe, and should be catchable this year.

crappiemike
08-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Nice job on the summer slabbin!!!!

Cm

my snuggles
09-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Went again on this past Tuesday and limits were the rule, red and white mini jigs in about 25 ft around trees at Rocky Point. tip your jig with white niblits. For the most part they are average size, a few in the 1 1/2 lb. range. this warden is working the lake real hard so follow the rules, in the last 2 times there he has tried to sneak up on you while you are cleaning fish even asking what kind of fish you have at home trying to catch you off guard. Realize he is just doing his job but he scared the hell out of my wife asking her how she caught them and tackel she was using, I thought that it was kinda amusing because she speaks very little english and it was hot!

cutbait
09-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Good report again.

Had the warden asked me what kind of fish I had at home I would of responded with, get a warrant and come find out..

But then again I can't help but think because your wife is foreign you guys were targeted a bit differently.

Did you catch the wardens name?

my snuggles
09-02-2012, 05:58 AM
No I did not get his name but we seen him the last time too at same location Paridise Cove camp ground, my wife is Venezuelan from Venezuela, but I am whiter than white, I just thought it was amusing, I think that he was trying to get us on possesion limit, he said the daily catch was 25 and possesion was 25, something that i did not know about perch, I always thought possesion was was 50. but the ones I caught 2 weeks ago we ate and gave away the rest.

Fishin Magician
09-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the report. Getting out this week, for sure. I have been getting similar reports from others. Finally calming down here at the lodge. looking forward to a good fish fry.

flytyingreloader
09-03-2012, 08:40 AM
It's poor policy to give the DFG wardens a ration of static. Just answer the questions, be in compliance, and they're gone in short order. I sure as h--l wouldn't taunt a warden with that "Get a warrant" drag--the probable cause needed to secure a search warrant isn't a high hurdle, and I wouldn't want my bluff getting called. Just sayin'.

fishead
09-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Tell the warden to go get a warant yup their just trying to give out tickets to make the state more monney. Show him licence , then proceed to fish they will give out tickets to people that fish inbodys of watter that don't get planted or maintained but they will patroll the area to ticket anybody they that let's em some wardens are ok I've never met one of them.

Skaguy04
09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Don't blame you for saying what you said Mike! A few years ago, I was at Issy and I had a question for the DFG Warden. I asked my question and the warden just replied, "Look it up, I don't know." He chuckled and took off.

tracker16
09-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I try to talk to the wardens some will be very helpfull becouse of the patroling the lake, they know who is catching the fish and what with, just stay legal leave some for the other people.

cutbait
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
It's poor policy to give the DFG wardens a ration of static.
Just answer the questions, be in compliance, and they're gone in short order. I sure as h--l wouldn't taunt a warden with that "Get a warrant" drag--the probable cause needed to secure a search warrant isn't a high hurdle, and I wouldn't want my bluff getting called. Just sayin'.

Whose bluffing? If your legit what's the big deal?

Wardens are trained to read behavior at point of contact. Being sure of oneselfs compliance of DFG laws would more than likely lead these trained wardens to classify me as a non violator.. And if your right and it pisses him off enough to go through the trouble of getting a warrant, I welcome him.

Americans have rights, don't give them up

My theoretical response would be in compliance.

Just sayin'

fishead
09-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Whose bluffing? If your legit what's the big deal?

Wardens are trained to read behavior at point of contact. Being sure of oneselfs compliance of DFG laws would more than likely lead these trained wardens to classify me as a non violator.. And if your right and it pisses him off enough to go through the trouble of getting a warrant, I welcome him.

Americans have rights, don't give them up

My theoretical response would be in compliance.

Just sayin'

Yuuup. That's rite.