PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing Newport Bay in a Float Tube

sonarbp
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Does anyone here ever float tube Newport Bay at night? If so what is required to do so....meaning what extra equipment is needed?

Anyone willing to show me the rope on night fishing Newport?

sonarbp

CatchthatTrout
04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I'd like to know this info also.....

I'll head out there with you so that you don't die alone. :wink:

sonarbp
04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Sounds good to me!!!!

Did you see my post in the other forum?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=751

Do you know of a good place to launch? I have always heard people launch from "k" street or up near Lido.....just don't know what would be the easiest!!!!!

I would rather fish father back in the bay to avoid any boat traffic!!!

sonarbp

bchbum54
04-24-2007, 08:58 PM
make sure you guys have lights on. harbor patrol will leave you alone unless they see you with no lights on. and i would stay within shouting distance to each other just in case you know.

Granny Fish
04-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Aren't sharks night feeders?

CatchthatTrout
04-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Aren't sharks night feeders?

You HAD to go there G-Fish :cry:

fish4keep
04-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Here's a tip for you guys. Since it will be your first time there at night pick a night where high tide is like around 8-9 PM. Launch, ride the tide in and then ride the tide back to where you launch.

As for requirements: including all your basic float tubing supplies and a good headlights where the boaters can see you.

You don't have to worry about the sharks in the harbor. I'm more concern of the big male sea lions.

sonarbp
04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's a tip for you guys. Since it will be your first time there at night pick a night where high tide is like around 8-9 PM. Launch, ride the tide in and then ride the tide back to where you launch.

As for requirements: including all your basic float tubing supplies and a good headlights where the boaters can see you.

You don't have to worry about the sharks in the harbor. I'm more concern of the big male sea lions.

I was thinking of launching about 6 pm on Sat night to catch the incomming tide and fish until about 11 or so on the outgoing tide.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/4-28.png

or if that is a no go maybe we can fish Sun sometime.....

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/4-29.png

maybe a launch from "k" street will be ok......ride the tide in and then let it takes us back out to the launch site!!!!!!

As for the sharks and sea lions.....we all have to go sometime.....might as well go doing something I love!!!!!

sonarbp

sonarbp
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Ok here is the deal......

I am going to be launching off of 15th street Sat 4/28 about 6:00 pm and I plan to fish the bay for about 4 hours or so......It should be light until 7 or so, so there will be about an hour of fishing before the lights have to be on.....anyone who want to go drop me a line.

If I don't hear from anyone....I still plan on fishing be it alone.....

Here is a shot of the launch site at 15th street and a map

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/15th.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/sonarbp/15th1.gif

Hope to see some of you out there!!!

sonarbp

sonarbp
04-27-2007, 11:02 AM
So CatchthatTrout,

You up to going out and playing with the sharks in Newport Sat night?

If not looks like I will be solo!

sonarbp

CatchthatTrout
04-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I was hoping to go but there's a event I want to attend in the evening.

Are you planning on going Sunday??

sonarbp
04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Thats cool....I still plan on going out sat night. I will let you know about Sun....if I do go it will be early morning! I most likely will fish both days....

sonarbp

bruce watson
04-27-2007, 08:41 PM
If you want to launch from 15th st. on the weekend, you may not find parking. The American Legion hall is right next to that dock. The big white building to your left. They have a thousand members and about 50 parking spots. So that street is always jammed on weekends, mostly at night.
I would think about using the CG station. Empty parking lot, showers bathrooms, and a nice sandy beach.

sonarbp
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
Hey bruce watson,

Thanks for the heads up!!!! I didn't get a chance to go fishing this weekend. I will try the CG station next weekend!!!

thanks again

sonarbp

Number1Monkey
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Damn I missed it! A freind and I have been meaning to plan a day (or night) out in one of the harbors. Next time PM prior and I will tag along. Maybe just act as some more shark bait :shock: Assuming you can fill me in on some riggin'. I have never tubd the high seas and have really been jones'n to.

sonarbp
05-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Hey Number1Monkey,

I didn't fish newport last weekend...changed plans last minute!!! I am always looking for new fishing buddies to fish the bay with!!!! The guys I have fished with are really busy doing other things and tend to flake alot...maybe we can plan a day trip to float newport.....just have to check the tides to see when will be the best time to fish.

later

sonarbp

Number1Monkey
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Word buddy. Sounds good.

Santa Fe Eric
05-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey Number1Monkey,

I didn't fish newport last weekend...changed plans last minute!!! I am always looking for new fishing buddies to fish the bay with!!!! The guys I have fished with are really busy doing other things and tend to flake alot...maybe we can plan a day trip to float newport.....just have to check the tides to see when will be the best time to fish.

later

sonarbp

Hey Brian!

This Summer beginning in June Kevthecatfishstudent and I definitely plan on hitting the bay. Catchthattrout, Drestyle, Ritzy and Bitz are also tubing. We should all go out one day or night in the Summer.

sonarbp
05-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Sounds good Eric!!!! I have been trying to find people that want to fish the bays.....lots of fish to be caught! I also fish alot of freshwater, mainly for bass and cats.

I HATE FISHING ALONE but I will if no one else want to fish......just let me know when you want to fish and I will be there!!!

Brian (sonarbp)

jbacsaf
05-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I HATE FISHING ALONE but I will if no one else want to fish......just let me know when you want to fish and I will be there!!!
Brian (sonarbp)

Ditto! I'm going to leave work for six months to finish my degree. I don't plan to study everyday, so hit me up if you wanna tube.

BassCatchinAssasin
06-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Make sure you have glow sticks, and never go out alone at night. A head light is a must!

greg
06-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I also carry a whistle to warn the boaters that may be near and not see you. :wink:

Nessie Hunter
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
When we Tube NPH or anywhere at night, we wear our head lamps and some attach glow sticks to back and front of head band or Tube for added visibility..

I normally only turn on the headlamp when there is a boat in the area, or I need to see something.. Otherwise it is off.....

I/we have never had any problems.. But I also get the heck away from any moving boats, I always assume they are drunk and or not looking for small objects like me..... :roll:

Better safe then sorry..... :thumb:

sonarbp
06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Great advice Nessie!!!!! The head lamp I use has three diffrent settings.....I use the normal white light when I need to be seen by a boat otherwise I use the red led light or the blue led light while I fish. The led light is nice because it does not blind the other guys I fish with when I am talking to them....looking in their direction!!!!

sonarbp

bones
06-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd be down for an FNN assault on the bay. That was good advice Bruce and Frank.....Thanks.
I have the best thing for the MALE SEALIONS.........A small airhorn attached to my tube with velcro and I think I'm also going to get some pepper spray and attach it on the other side the same way.Maybe I'll just make a double holster for both of them. After that incident the Paintnfish and Lokey had with the DOG on the water it really makes you think. After all....when on the water......humans are out of their element and just Visitors.....LOL

IT'S THEIR WORLD :twisted:

As far as the Harbor is concerned....I've only tubed it once. What kinda blew my mind was that we launched from Balboa Island. The high tide was comming in big time which made it easy to get to a good spot. Then slack tide was an easy kick also. We made a mistake and kicked out towards the harbor inlet on the slack tide and then we started to get tired after about 6 hours. When it was time to kick back to our launch spot the tide was going OUT. Man....that was a ***** of a kick and I've got hotspots!
If and When I get back out to the harbor I'm going to pay very close attention to the tides and my position compared to my launch/pullout spot that's for sure :shock:

sonarbp
06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey bones,

I have been tubin Newport quite alot the past few months...but before I go I always plan my trips according to the tide charts!!! Makes the trips alot more productive and less work. I plan my trips to ride the incomming tide back into the bay and then you MUST pay real close attention to the time!!!! When the tide hits it high point I start my way back to catch the outgoing tide. If you plan it right you can have a great trip lasting about 5 to 6 hours!!! plus you are on the water durring the best fishing time!!!

Let me know when you want to get out and we can plan a trip!

sonarbp

bones
06-26-2007, 06:48 AM
Hey bones,

I have been tubin Newport quite alot the past few months...but before I go I always plan my trips according to the tide charts!!! Makes the trips alot more productive and less work. I plan my trips to ride the incomming tide back into the bay and then you MUST pay real close attention to the time!!!! When the tide hits it high point I start my way back to catch the outgoing tide. If you plan it right you can have a great trip lasting about 5 to 6 hours!!! plus you are on the water durring the best fishing time!!!

Let me know when you want to get out and we can plan a trip!

sonarbp

Thanks for the tip sonarbp!
I just got back into SW two years ago after a two decade layoff!
I usually go fishing when my crazy life trying to raise three kids allows me to get out. Unfortunately....Half of the time my opportunity doesn't line up with the best of tide times though. I'll tell you one thing.....A little planning like you said would make for a very enjoyable tubing experience rather that a marathon trying to get back to your launch spot!
It is mind blowing how fast the tides move sometimes. When fishing from a jetty or the surf a person doesn't feel the effects very much but when you are in a harbor or even worse....fishing an inlet to a harbor it's incrediable how the water moves. It's like trying to stay stable in a river current on a tube.Definately...Planning your launch and pullout along with the tides has got to be the key.
I want to try to do it again and a FNN get together would be even better.
I nominate you to set it up..... :thumb:
Let's get er Done!