PDA

View Full Version : Quest for the ONE - S.W.A.T. Mission Accomplished?

bachiboy
08-16-2012, 01:38 AM
So, back in May, I was set out on a mission to solidify a membership to S.W.A.T. Having success over the past few months, I felt somewhat (over)confident that I could get it done in a fair amount of time. :Rolls Eyes:The biggest problem, I felt, was going to be finding the time to get a line wet. With summer coming up, my work load was expected to increase and put a halt to the amount of sessions I had been putting in earlier in the year. Fortunately, work never got overbearing and I had my weekends to try to “get ‘er done”.

I work in graphics and deal with photoshop files from 5gigs on up to 30gigs. This gives me a lot of time, while files process or save, to browse the net. So, what do I do...go back and read every post in the Surf section of FNN...at least the ones that had a fair amount of replies and dealt with the surf (rather than harbors and bays). This fueled my visions and fantasies of catching that glory fish...the ‘‘barn door” flattie or toad WSB. I also got to read how guys had completed there missions in “grand” fashion...SP Dan with the glory striper, Mr. Dunev with a beast of a WSB, Ramiro not only winning HG2 but doing it with his induction fish, or even the epic saga of Pontoon’s long journey to success. I even got to witness first hand, earlier this year, Nipple Twister’s seven month struggle culminated with a capture of a coveted monster legal WSB.:EyePop: The stories of other successes got me all worked up...Murrieta Angler putting the wood to the ghosts all of last year, Bones and his multi-WSB weekend as well as his 41” mammoth flattie earlier this year, and, of course, all of Wingnut’s 50 million PB’s and new species since he started hitting the sand.:UDaMan: Needless to say, the adrenaline was pumping and the trigger finger was itchin’.

BSP landed a striper last year which lead me to where I ended my quest today (or yesterday, I should say)...although not in such grand fashion.

I’ve pretty much posted my past trips, at least the ones worth talking about through June and early July, and I had some great trips...hell, getting out of the house already makes it great. So, this starts in late July. I’ve been requesting ‘hallpasses’ from ‘the boss’ to go out on Sunday mornings with the stipulation that I return in time to take my son to swim lessons at 10:30. Getting out and on the sand in the dark was a must to make the most of few hours I’d been given. Here’s the log of what’s been going on...

July 22 - Hit a local beach with primo conditions. The beach I chose had been a salad bar for the previous month or more, but the previous week had brought the promise of clearer waters. That previous week brought a flatfish-of-the-wrong-kind bonanza. SNGF were littering the area and a couple of times had me thinking I had hit gold only to see that tail fly up in the white water to rain on my parade. At least there was life there and I figured to give it another go. When I arrived, I could see birds diving and thought it might be “the day”. What it turned into was a thornback extravaganza. I ended up with four (sorry no picts, too busy hunting for the “right-kind”), but I musta stepped on about 15 of those damned things. Good thing I wore the waders that day even though it wasn’t that cold. I look back now and realize that it was an “LC” new species for me. I’ve been fishing the surf for over 40 years, but only started flinging the LC and truly started targeting flatties at the end of at the turn of this year. So, I consider any LC caught fish a new species of sorts. Not a glorious outing that day, but at least I got something to wipe the stripe...even if I’ve had kelp that fought more than those things did.

July 29 - I decide to revisit the area that I had caught my first “LC” WSBs and that Jinbow had beached a behemoth calico. I get there at dark as intended and see that the conditions were right. Low surf, good tide, lots of small baitfish...just like last time.:Cool: I worked the beach for a couple of hours for NOTHING. Finally I get close to the area that Jinbow scored and get locked into a good fish. It’s not taking line but feels like a decent fish. After a quick battle, dodging all the structure littering the shoreline I land a fat calico.

The fish measures right around 16”...a new LC PB.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/16in_Calico.jpg

I start making my way down and, wouldn’t you know it, right where Jinbow scored, I get NAILED. This thing has weight. It’s dogging at first and I look out and see a tail slap, leaving a BIG hole in the water where it had surfaced.:EyePop: I’m thinkin’, “Ok, this is it...game on!” It starts to take some drag and 5 seconds later...I pull the hook.:Angry: After letting out a war cry that can be heard 50 miles away, I turn and see a bait-n-wait guy watching the agony. He asks what happened and I tell him my sob story. The tail I saw looked dark, so I’m figuring it was a pig calico, but only Poseidon knows (my friend Nate said I'm just trying to console myself cuz it was a huge WSB...thanks a lot Nate :Wink:). After working the beach a ways down, the hourglass starts to run out of sand and I start working my way back to my starting point, the whole time just concentrating on the task at hand. When I get back to the bait guy, he says, “did you see that out there?” I reply “what? shark?” He said he saw about a 14’ great white breach 3 times like it was chasing something. I didn’t see anything but after we parted ways I come across a couple guys gearing up to go paddleboarding. I told them, “I’m not trying to scare you guys outta here, but the guy down there said he just saw a 14’ white breach. I didn’t see it, but thought I’d give you guys a heads-up to keep an eye out”. They thank me and, relunctantly proceed out. There’s another paddleboarder out there and, of all things, a guy in a float tube. I work the beach for another 15 minutes, the whole time watching the float tuber to see if he gets boiled on. I keep thinking I’m gonna have to scramble to get my phone out and call 911 if it happens. Fortunately nothing happens and I get on home before the time on my hallpass runs out. I didn’t hear anything on the news so I guess that shark never came back out to play after I left...thank God.

Aug 4 - I’m tossed on where to hit next. The tides weren’t favorable for the spot that I got the calico and there was supposed to be a grunion run (though I haven’t caught squat this year trying to follow a run). So I ask permission for a double hallpass to do a Sat and Sun run. It’s granted, but I shoulda never pressed it, cuz it came back to bite me in the ***.:Nut Kick: I head out to a sandy beach and I get nothing but a couple more thornbacks. Even the bait-n-wait guys using crabs were striking out. I had gone there more to do recon on what to do for Sunday. I told the boss that I’d be back by 8, which I made easily considering the lack of action.

Aug 5 - I decide that the sandy beach wasn’t gonna work so I’m gonna head over to the spot where I lost the mystery fish on the previous week's outing, even though the intel was that the tide was against me. I shoulda listened to that intel cuz I caught the stripe...kelp fiesta and all. I tried the LC, dropshot and swimbait for nada. :Skunk:

The following week felt the wrath of asking for a double hallpass. I got the “can you please not go fishing and spend some time at home so I can get some things done!” speech. Yeehaw. :Argument:

Aug 15, today (or yesterday, by the time I finish writing this dang thing) - I have a ton of work coming in but am waiting on top-brass approval to start working over the images needed. I pull a last minute decision after dropping my son off at preschool to hit a beach nearby...partially cuz I had just read about Marc’s striper score from that spot early last year. Now, I’m not completely delusional and realize that it’s HIGHLY unlikely that I’m gonna score that fish, but it is the same spot that I got my first LC halibut earlier this year...short, but a nice 20 1/2” fish. So, I hit the beach and no sooner do I fire off my second cast and my phone starts going off. It’s work and the word has come in to proceed with the file builds that we need to finish. Luckily, I’m given the ‘ok’ to do the work from home. So, I decide to continue on and give it an hour or so. Conditions weren’t great, but there was some bait presence and, what the heck, it was a nice day to get out...especially cuz I had gotten ‘grounded’ over the last weekend. And, no, the boss didn’t know that I had gone out and done this.:Secret: I work the beach and get to a point where I’m about to call it a day, when a land butt starts jogging toward me in the distance.:Cool: I figure, again, what the heck...might as well take in some sights while I’m here and continue to fire a couple more casts while she makes her way over. Two casts later...BAM! Fish on! Ok, nice bend, a little squirrely, running back and forth through the surf and pulling a ‘little’ drag...Striper? It definately doesn’t feel like a ray or shark, but it isn’t head shaking either. I start working it close and I see a brief tail slap on the surface with a glint of yellow. I’m thinking, “ghost? here? no way!” Well ‘no way’ was right. Up flops a YFC...a pig of a YFC. I figure, well, at least no skunk and it is a nice-sized fish...actually an LC PB, so I take measurements and fire off some pictures.

Right around 18”
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/big_YFC.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Head_YFC.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/Tail_YFC.jpg

I work my way back to my starting point and on my last cast, stick another fat YFC. Not as big as the first, but a nice little fatty.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/sm_YFC.jpg

I load up the car and start thinking about the ‘Challenge List’ that I was PM’d by Arthur earlier this year. I start thinking, “OH SH*T, that might be a qualifying fish! Crap, do I want that to be my qualifying fish?”:Embarrassed: All those dreams of the GLORY fish and I’m gonna qualify with a YFC? I’ll be the laughing stock of S.W.A.T.! Then again, I’ve always made an easy target for trashing...S.W.A.T. comic-relief fits.:Idiot: I PM Arthur and tell him my dilemma. He says...Take it and run baby! You can't control what Poseidon decide to hand you as an induction fish. But be ready for for some Bachi-bashing, :LOL: I also didn’t want to seem arrogant or ungrateful for my opportunity here. There a ton of people that would love to be offered a spot with this group. If I pass because I didn’t catch a ‘glory’ fish, that would border on down right rude...not to mention Poseidon would probably have that 14’ great white bite my casting arm off on my next outing for passing up on his gift. He was probably having a good laugh on this one...”watch, I’ll give him a fish, but it’s gonna make his head spin!”

So, there you have it...I made it in. Not with the fantasized 40” WSB, 30” flattie or even a 5+ lb. calico...but an 18” YFC.

Let the Bachi-bashing begin!!!!
:Slap: :Spank: :Smash: :Neener Neener:

SP Dan
08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
"Congratulations" Don on that fine S.W.A.T. Entry Fish and "Welcome" to S.W.A.T. ....my "brotha!" :Big Smile::Applause:

You have definitely put in the time, persevered many of the changing surf conditions and have been rewarded with this magnificent species of a fish!
I say...."receive your blessing as they come!" I'm looking forward to meeting you Don and to spending some "good times" in the salt with you.

PS.....I've been having a very difficult time lately .....seems that I can only beach are these nuisance....Striped Bass, WSB and Hali's :EyePop:! I would luv to beach a hog of a YFC like you have! When we do finally hook up Don...would you please teach me your LC retrieval techniques so that I may also target and beach S.W.A.T. qualifying YFC's like you have here! :ROFL: Ha ha ha ha! :Not Worthy: Remember..."You have earned your bragging rights!" :Smile:

Thanx for sharing your fantastic journey with all of us and once again "Welcome to the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood!" :Thumbs Up:

I'm looking forward to good times, great fishing adventures and lasting memories with you Don! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Which Way Out
08-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Nice work Don. You certainly put in the time and snuck one in under the radar. That is SWAT material for sure.

Congrats and a toast to your success :Beer Toast: Many more I hope

WWO

PONTOON
08-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Don,

On august 15,2012 @ 1:05pm I recieved a text from the commander saying that Don (Bachiboy) just caught his induction fish, a 18" Yellow Fin Croaker............My first thoughts..........Yeah baby!, Congratulations!:Cool:

Yellow Fin Croaker, Halibut, Calico Bass, WSB, some other Exotic or Catfish (Catfish was on the list wasn't it?:Big Grin:) it doesn't matter to me. You were given a SWAT Challenge, you committed to the mission and you made it happen. I've followed your reports along the way and even had the opportunity to cross paths with you in my home turf along with John, on one of our morning sessions, and you fished your tail off. I wanted it to happen that day but Poseiden decided he was going to wait to see just how bad you wanted it and through your persistence and determination Poseiden said it's time.:Wink:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your "Mission Accomplished" post as well as all the others leading up to this one. You did a great job Don. Congratulations and welcome to SWAT!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

exfactor
08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. A fish is a fish Bachi, we have no control over what that is. Although 18" is stretching it a bit, still a nice specimen. Arthur made the wish list, and you filled one of the gaps there. Its obviously not an easy score, or others would have done it already. I see it as a starting point for you. It can only get better from here. My casting reel finally returned to me after FOUR MONTHS at the repair shop, and I still haven't heard from the boat mechanic about when my gf (boat) is coming home. So I'll offer the attaboy here, and watch for when you score the prospective target species in style. Mikey

Lucky Lager
08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Congrats on the M.A.!!
I was hoping that looong story was going to end with a line side hitting the sand :)
They can't all be monsters, right?
Nice going,
LL

Wingnut
08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Great job Colonel Croaker! :Big Smile:

Don, welcome to the Brotherhood. But we’ve already considered you as one of our own, induction fish or no induction fish. :Big Grin:
Hey, so what if it’s a Croaker of the wrong kind, lol :LOL:
That is a beautiful YFC. Not too many 18” models have come out of the surf so it’s not an easy catch by any means. It actually puts you on top of the YFC category on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board. So while we raz you for the catch, none of us (so far) can match it. :Envious:

You came to my attention when a couple of the Brothers mentioned you as a possible prospect. Your conduct and contributions to the board puts you in consideration. But it was the way you responded to my PM when I asked you simply, “What do you think S.W.A.T. is all about and what do you think we stand for?” Your answer was candid as it was genuine and sincere. :Cool:
Welcome to the Family my friend. Keep an eye out for your “welcome” package. :Wink:

exfactor
08-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Colonel crocker lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bachiboy
08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
"Congratulations" Don on that fine S.W.A.T. Entry Fish and "Welcome" to S.W.A.T. ....my "brotha!" :Big Smile::Applause:

You have definitely put in the time, persevered many of the changing surf conditions and have been rewarded with this magnificent species of a fish!
I say...."receive your blessing as they come!" I'm looking forward to meeting you Don and to spending some "good times" in the salt with you.

PS.....I've been having a very difficult time lately .....seems that I can only beach are these nuisance....Striped Bass, WSB and Hali's :EyePop:! I would luv to beach a hog of a YFC like you have! When we do finally hook up Don...would you please teach me your LC retrieval techniques so that I may also target and beach S.W.A.T. qualifying WFC's like you have here! :ROFL: Ha ha ha ha! :Not Worthy: Remember..."You have earned your bragging rights!" :Smile:

Thanx for sharing your fantastic journey with all of us and once again "Welcome to the S.W.A.T. Brotherhood!" :Thumbs Up:

I'm looking forward to good times, great fishing adventures and lasting memories with you Don! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks you sir!

I forgot to mention in my post that I am the GREATEST surf fisherman on the west coast.:Soap Box: So, it comes to no surprise that you request my tutelage. I've been asked many a day to give seminars and speak of my heroic feats. Because I admire your determination and perseverance, I will gladly share my patented techniques with you.:Secret:

I start with a baitcasting reel and use a windmill type, underhand cast...sort of like a fast-pitch softball player. You have to hang the LC far enough so that, as you windmill your cast, you slap the LC on the water before it's release. This will give you the optimum backlash and minimize unnecessary distance in your cast. As you rip the line out of your reel to release the backlash, allow the slack to wrap around your legs and loop around your backpack or fannypack so it makes an even bigger mess. This technique works two fold, the unwanted halibut, WSB or striper will see this and say, "what a F*&$^&#g IDIOT! I'm not going to eat that stupid lure." The YFC, your more targeted quarry, will burst into uncontrollable laughter causing it to gasp so violently for air that the lure becomes lodged in his throat. If you wish to up your odds in landing such a magnificent species, refrain from using custom paints or scents...simply let a wave take out your feet, fall forward into the surf and shove your reel into the sand. This extra flare will paralyze the enemy with laughter making it an even easier target.

On this day, no such tactics were needed. I believe that the mere sight of my GREATNESS caused him to burst into laughter causing him to inhale my offering:Bug Eyes::ROFL:...I'm sure that I am incredibly famous amongst the enemy, you know. :Worship:

Use this information well my friend! :Wink:

Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. A fish is a fish Bachi, we have no control over what that is. Although 18" is stretching it a bit, still a nice specimen. Arthur made the wish list, and you filled one of the gaps there. Its obviously not an easy score, or others would have done it already. I see it as a starting point for you. It can only get better from here. My casting reel finally returned to me after FOUR MONTHS at the repair shop, and I still haven't heard from the boat mechanic about when my gf (boat) is coming home. So I'll offer the attaboy here, and watch for when you score the prospective target species in style. Mikey

Yea, on second glance, not sure that thing stretches to the full 18". The benchmark for that species was 16", so even an over-measurement won't 'help' me weasel out of this one. :LOL: I decided to snap a pict cuz I figure it was an LC PB for me and I should be documenting my journey a little more with eye candy...or something close to eye candy. I laid the tape down and at full view looked to be right at 18"...never really thought much about accuracy cuz it was, after all, just a YFC. :Rolls Eyes: Never crossed my mind that I was gonna write about this being 'THE ONE'. :ROFL:

Hope your reel is back in action and the gf finds her way back home soon.

THREADJACK on my own post:Wink:...
I'm pretty sure it was you that mentioned the 200lb. club for the Royal Polaris in a post a few years back. Do you ride the RP? I try and get out on the RP once a year and I leave on an 8 day next month. Hope that trip ends up with a little more than PB YFCs. :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback and we'll keep you posted on a more glamorous capture! :Wink:
Colonel Croaker

HEY I THINK I GOT A PROMOTION from private pee-on! :ROFL:

Congrats on the M.A.!!
I was hoping that looong story was going to end with a line side hitting the sand :)
They can't all be monsters, right?
Nice going,
LL Yea, it was INCREDIBLY long winded to end like that. Now take that feeling of disappointment and multiply it by ten...that's how I felt when I got home and saw the challenge list with qualifying measurements. :LOL:

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply!!!!
Don

PONTOON
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Scary thought, when Pontoon's speechless lol. Mikey

Well, it's only temporary Mikey.:LOL:

Nipple Twister
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
When I got the text from Arthur I had to let out a "HOOT".......after realizing where I was those around me gave me a funny look thinking I belonged with the "others" who hang out downtown.

Don, nice job Sir, couldn't have happened to a better person, :UDaMan:I think you represent what SWAT is all about, proof of that was at San O with us.......just a happenstance kinda thing but you gave up your plan to assist others, not many are so willing.:Envious:
Mikey hits it right on the head my friend, you have epic days ahead for sure, hopefully we'll be around to see it happen....

Welcome, you will not meet a better bunch of folks then the FNNers and the knowledgable members of SWAT......enjoy my brother, peace be with you and hope to see you soon.........Colonel!!!!!!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4595856194666813&pid=1.7&w=204&h=150&c=7&rs=1

bones
08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the group Don....Don't let Arthur fool ya...... You are "Private" Croaker until you answer the "Millllion Dollar Question" and comply. :ROFL:

Pssssst...... What flavor/scent of smell jelly do you prefer?

Which Way Out
08-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Welcome to the group Don....Don't let Arthur fool ya...... You are "Private" Croaker until you answer the "Millllion Dollar Question" and comply. :ROFL:

Colonel!!!!!!! ?

Bones aren't you just a Lieutenant..?:Smile: I know I am just a uncoachable Jedi in training, but maybe Don did answer the Million Dollar question:Shocked:

WWO

fish_sauce
08-16-2012, 08:49 PM
How does "Captain Croaker" sound? :Big Grin: :Wink:

Hope to see ya at the Hunting Giants event this year Don, Congrats!!!! :Beer Toast:

Andrew

jerryG
08-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Congratulations Don.. You have put in your time and although this probably wasn't the fish you were looking for it was a great catch and well deserved my friend. Welcome to the Team Don. Looking forward to fishing with you and the guys sometime soon. The beach pass has been out of reach for me lately but with the kids going back to school I'll be back in action. Its crazy you mentioned there was a great white siting in that area because Jonathan (Toads Only) and I witnessed a large great white shark breaching in that area a few years back. It was on an August day and we were kayak fishing and little did we know that later the same day two stand-up paddle boarders would be attacked by a great white in that same area. Didn't find out about the attack until I read about it in the news. The story had the guys pictures and I remember seeing them out there that day. I guess its that time of year again. Its also almost that time of the season when the sea bass start moving up on to the beaches to feed.. 8)

JerryG

trollmiester
08-17-2012, 12:19 PM
just saw this post weigh to go i am proud of you.hope when i acomplish my mission they dont call me TOM COD.LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL LLLLLLLLLLL

bbqsushi
08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey - PFC Croaker,

As usual, I am VERY proud, and SUPER embarrassed, to call you my friend. But the honor is deserved, dream-fish or not. My turn next, I hope.

Nate

murrieta angler
08-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Howdy Don,
Again, a great big congratulations on your induction fish. :Big Grin:
You know, you should never be ashamed of what the Lord decided to give you.
It was exactly as it was supposed to be. :Wink:
When these big waves move out of the way and when the salad dies down a bit, we'll hit up some beach and see if we can't get a few leglas of some sort.
Take Care Brotha,
Robert
<><

bachiboy
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Nice work Don. You certainly put in the time and snuck one in under the radar. That is SWAT material for sure.

Congrats and a toast to your success :Beer Toast: Many more I hope

WWO

Thanks Bill! :Beer Toast:

I'm hoping to get something a little more substantial to solidify my induction...in my own mind. :Wink:

Don,

On august 15,2012 @ 1:05pm I recieved a text from the commander saying that Don (Bachiboy) just caught his induction fish, a 18" Yellow Fin Croaker............My first thoughts..........Yeah baby!, Congratulations!:Cool:

Yellow Fin Croaker, Halibut, Calico Bass, WSB, some other Exotic or Catfish (Catfish was on the list wasn't it?:Big Grin:) it doesn't matter to me. You were given a SWAT Challenge, you committed to the mission and you made it happen. I've followed your reports along the way and even had the opportunity to cross paths with you in my home turf along with John, on one of our morning sessions, and you fished your tail off. I wanted it to happen that day but Poseiden decided he was going to wait to see just how bad you wanted it and through your persistence and determination Poseiden said it's time.:Wink:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your "Mission Accomplished" post as well as all the others leading up to this one. You did a great job Don. Congratulations and welcome to SWAT!:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up:

I think Arthur might have actually had catfish on there, but I wasn't willing to haul down to Cabo and fish that harbor...where I've actually caught some salty cats before. :Wink:

I was really hoping to get the induction fish with you guys around, cuz it makes it SO much sweeter to celebrate the occasion with friends...found that out hangin with you, John and Robert!

Hope to hit the beach with you again soon!

Great job Colonel Croaker! :Big Smile:

Don, welcome to the Brotherhood. But we’ve already considered you as one of our own, induction fish or no induction fish. :Big Grin:
Hey, so what if it’s a Croaker of the wrong kind, lol :LOL:
That is a beautiful YFC. Not too many 18” models have come out of the surf so it’s not an easy catch by any means. It actually puts you on top of the YFC category on the S.W.A.T. Challenge Leader Board. So while we raz you for the catch, none of us (so far) can match it. :Envious:

You came to my attention when a couple of the Brothers mentioned you as a possible prospect. Your conduct and contributions to the board puts you in consideration. But it was the way you responded to my PM when I asked you simply, “What do you think S.W.A.T. is all about and what do you think we stand for?” Your answer was candid as it was genuine and sincere. :Cool:
Welcome to the Family my friend. Keep an eye out for your “welcome” package. :Wink:

Thank you again sir...for everything! It's been a pleasure getting to all of you guys and EXTREMELY flattering to be accepted into the clan...no matter what hazing I might have to endure. :Smash::ROFL:

The answer to that question you asked in the PM didn't take much thought cuz it's REAL clear to see that you are all a GREAT group that do things the right way. :Wink:

When I got the text from Arthur I had to let out a "HOOT".......after realizing where I was those around me gave me a funny look thinking I belonged with the "others" who hang out downtown.

Don, nice job Sir, couldn't have happened to a better person, :UDaMan:I think you represent what SWAT is all about, proof of that was at San O with us.......just a happenstance kinda thing but you gave up your plan to assist others, not many are so willing.:Envious:
Mikey hits it right on the head my friend, you have epic days ahead for sure, hopefully we'll be around to see it happen....

Welcome, you will not meet a better bunch of folks then the FNNers and the knowledgable members of SWAT......enjoy my brother, peace be with you and hope to see you soon.........Colonel!!!!!!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I4595856194666813&pid=1.7&w=204&h=150&c=7&rs=1

Thanks John! I think that trip to San O has to be my most memorable trip ever to the surf. Sharing that experience with you guys REALLY made it appealing to me when I was asked if I wanted to start my own mission. :Wink:

Great seeing you out there this morning. Wish we coulda spent a little more time out there on the assault together. Three outings together and all three were just by chance...gotta actually PLAN one together one of these days! :Wink:

PS - Colonel "Klank" might be as fitting as Croaker! :ROFL:

Thanks Mike! Hmmm...million dollar question? What Smelly Jelly do I prefer?....
Which ever scent that will keep Yuri away?!!!! Is that the correct answer? :ROFL::Wink:

How does "Captain Croaker" sound? :Big Grin: :Wink:

Hope to see ya at the Hunting Giants event this year Don, Congrats!!!! :Beer Toast:

Andrew

Thanks Andrew! I will definitely be at HG4 and look forward to meeting all of you.

till then...tight lines!

Congratulations Don.. You have put in your time and although this probably wasn't the fish you were looking for it was a great catch and well deserved my friend. Welcome to the Team Don. Looking forward to fishing with you and the guys sometimes soon. The beach pass has been out of reach for me lately but with the kids going back to school I'll be back in action. Its crazy you mentioned there was a great white siting in that area because because Jonathan (Toads Only) witnessed a large great white shark breaching in that area a few years back. It was on an August day and we were kayak fishing. Little did we know that later the same day two stand-up paddle boarders would be attacked by a great white in that same area. Didn't find out about until I read about it in the news. The story had the guys pictures and I remember seeing them out there that day. I guess its that time of year again. Its also almost that time of the season when the sea bass start moving up on to the beaches to feed.. 8)

JerryG

Jerry, my friend, I have you to thank for getting me in touch with all these great guys. I hope we get out there together again soon. Our mutual friend gets back in a couple weeks so we'll all have to gather for his return...maybe we can drag him into the surf for a session! Although, it'll all be 'pedestrian' to him compared to that dang 'bass hole' he's got access to. :Wink:

It's funny, they were showing what looked like the same area on a show for Shark Week on the Discovery Channel last night. I guess it's a local haunt for those guys. Makes me wonder about wading chest high out there...but as long as guys go float tubing there, those big guys should be lured away from me. :LOL:

just saw this post weigh to go i am proud of you.hope when i acomplish my mission they dont call me TOM COD.LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLL LLLLLLLLLLL

:ROFL: I think you're safe...I have a way of deflecting all bashing toward myself...it's a gift. :Wink: Hope you're mission ends in spectacular fashion Trolly! Good luck and thanks!!!

Hey - PFC Croaker,

As usual, I am VERY proud, and SUPER embarrassed, to call you my friend. But the honor is deserved, dream-fish or not. My turn next, I hope.

Nate

Nate, Nate, Nate...you've been there with me just about every step of the way. You've seen me at my best and worst...well, maybe just my worst. :ROFL: But we were always hopeful! It was just good hanging out in the surf with you most of this summer. You're the one that got me looking at this forum in the first place...so thanks a bunch for that...although I don't think Kris shares the gratitude. :LOL: I think we're overdue for one of those "epic" sessions that we have read about. We need to get back out there and make it happen! *CROAK*

Howdy Don,
Again, a great big congratulations on your induction fish. :Big Grin:
You know, you should never be ashamed of what the Lord decided to give you.
It was exactly as it was supposed to be. :Wink:
When these big waves move out of the way and when the salad dies down a bit, we'll hit up some beach and see if we can't get a few leglas of some sort.
Take Care Brotha,
Robert
<><

Thanks Robert! You were always a WORLD of help...even when I wasn't on my mission yet. :Wink: Lookin forward to a time that we can get out there again. Hopefully soon!

Badbeat
08-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Great job in making the cut Bachiboy, so jealous. :Envious:
Who cares what kind of fish it takes to get in, you got in. :Applause:
If a 18 inch lizardfish was on that list and I was a prospect, I would be in too. :LOL:

bachiboy
08-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Great job in making the cut Bachiboy, so jealous. :Envious:
Who cares what kind of fish it takes to get in, you got in. :Applause:
If a 18 inch lizardfish was on that list and I was a prospect, I would be in too. :LOL:

Thanks Badbeat! I'm feeling fortunate enough that I got the invite, so I'll definitely take it. :Wink:

bachiboy
08-20-2012, 11:09 AM
So, now that I've 'slimed' my way through the challenge:Wink:, I decided to do a quick hit on the beach as my first session as an 'official' SWAT member on Friday morning. Got a late start since I had to drop off my kid at preschool. Ran into John (Nipple Twister) who left shortly after my arrival. Spent about an hour or so working the shoreline. Got one SNGF and was just feeling good about not walking away with the stripe. Deciding that I need to get home and back to the work that was waiting for me, I made my way back to my car. On the way back, there was a spot that looked ripe and decided I'd better give it a couple of casts before I leave.

I was rewarded with this 17 1/2" pancake as a parting gift. My first flattie as a SWAT member!
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT_PANCAKE.jpg

The next day I received my SWAT package from Wingnut. Thanks Arthur! It had some really cool LCs and SWAT gear. I decided to make some 'enhancements' to one of the choice patterns and took a couple of them out for a spin on Sunday morning. I figured that, since I got the short at that spot on Friday, I'd give it an 'honest' try at first light. I got there at gray light and soon after, who decides to join me in the surf again...John. We worked to beach pretty hard and were, ummm, 'rewarded?' with a crapload of thornbacks. Pulling those things up kinda equates to pulling up a plunger off the bottom. They just suck down to the sand floor and don't wanna move, so it feels like your hung to structure. Once you get them to move they fight like a HUGE WSB...white sea bag.:LOL: I ended up with 7 of those before I left John to finish out the session...hope it ended in style!:Wink: By the time I had left, John had tallied 4 or 5 thorns and a couple of SNGF. Like you said John...gotta stop meeting like that or people are gonna talk! :Secret::ROFL:

Here's the customization of my Blue Pink Sardine pattern...
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/BLUE_PINK_LC.jpg

In between the black and red 'racing stripes' is glow in the dark nail polish...which is also behind the red gills I painted on.
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/glow_lure.jpg

My son dawning some of the new SWAT gear
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT_MEMBER.jpg

"YOU LET MY DAD IN WITH THAT FISH?!!! I CAN CATCH A BIGGER FISH ON MY TWO FOOT ROD!" :Wink::LOL:
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT_MEMBER_2.jpg

bloox8
08-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Congrats Don!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :Smash:

If its on the qualifier list, it must be there for a reason :Big Grin: I still have yet to land me a YFC lol.
Even though you didn't have grand-slam entrance, I am sure you will have great stories of monster fish soon to come. Keep it up!

And man.... I've been watching shark week recently and the episodes I've seen weren't pretty... The fear of swimming out in the ocean is starting to grow on me lol. Its making me think twice about getting a kayak. We'll see how that goes.

I'll be looking forward to your future posts.

:Beer Toast: Thien

Nipple Twister
08-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I got there at gray light and soon after, who decides to join me in the surf again...John. We worked to beach pretty hard and were, ummm, 'rewarded?' with a crapload of thornbacks. Pulling those things up kinda equates to pulling up a plunger off the bottom. They just suck down to the sand floor and don't wanna move, so it feels like your hung to structure. Once you get them to move they fight like a HUGE WSB...white sea bag.:LOL: I ended up with 7 of those before I left John to finish out the session...hope it ended in style!:Wink: By the time I had left, John had tallied 4 or 5 thorns and a couple of SNGF. Like you said John...gotta stop meeting like that or people are gonna talk! :Secret::ROFL:

Yup, them "flatties" make good anchors huh? Wish I could say there where more developments after you left Sun but no, wind picked up a little and the beach goers got heavy so I called it by 11.......
When I saw you waving at me from down the beach had nooo idea who it was 'cause these eyes don't see that far anymore.......sorry for no heads up before going on Fri or Sun, I just figured being a Friday nobody would be available and Sun was last minute for me.

Good times buddy, more to follow..........again, congrats ......... well deserved
:Thumbs Up:

And Arthur,.........nice paint on the LC......S W E E T!:EyePop:

Wingnut
08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
And Arthur,.........nice paint on the LC......S W E E T!:EyePop:

Don did all the art work himself John... I just sent him the stock patterns. :Wink: I agree, they look great! :Thumbs Up:

Jr. S.W.A.T. officer... love it! :Big Grin:

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r627/bachidym/SWAT_MEMBER.jpg

troublehook
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Who cares how you got in, you got in bro. Lucky you to be a part of the elite. :Envious:
Can't wait until Hunting Giants IV. I started surf fishing after last year's event.
Cute kid, future SWAT member in the making. :Big Grin:

blackwater
08-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Great job Don and welcome to the brotherhood. :Big Grin:
I was lucky, I got in before there was a challenge list. :Wink:
I guess Arthur felt sorry for me for all the cash I handed over to him over the years from our fishing wagers. :mad: :LOL: :Angry:

bachiboy
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Congrats Don!
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :Smash:

If its on the qualifier list, it must be there for a reason :Big Grin: I still have yet to land me a YFC lol.
Even though you didn't have grand-slam entrance, I am sure you will have great stories of monster fish soon to come. Keep it up!

And man.... I've been watching shark week recently and the episodes I've seen weren't pretty... The fear of swimming out in the ocean is starting to grow on me lol. Its making me think twice about getting a kayak. We'll see how that goes.

I'll be looking forward to your future posts.

:Beer Toast: Thien

Thanks Thien! Arthur actually had mentioned a great white on the challenge list...maybe I shoulda been trying for that! :LOL::Wink:

Don did all the art work himself John... I just sent him the stock patterns. :Wink: I agree, they look great! :Thumbs Up:

One of these days I need to post all of the customizations that I've done to my LCs on the stickie. If nothing else, the croaker-killer pattern. :LOL:

Who cares how you got in, you got in bro. Lucky you to be a part of the elite. :Envious:
Can't wait until Hunting Giants IV. I started surf fishing after last year's event.
Cute kid, future SWAT member in the making. :Big Grin:

Thanks TH! I'm definitely lucky...and don't want to press my luck, so I figured I'd better take it. Looking forward to seeing you and many others at HG4. I'm sure my son will be out there outfishing the old man!:Wink:

Great job Don and welcome to the brotherhood. :Big Grin:
I was lucky, I got in before there was a challenge list. :Wink:
I guess Arthur felt sorry for me for all the cash I handed over to him over the years from our fishing wagers. :mad: :LOL: :Angry:

Thanks BW! After reading all of those old posts...yes, you REALLY had to pay some dues to get into SWAT. A challenge list woulda been WAY overkill! :EyePop::LOL:

Nipple Twister
08-22-2012, 03:54 AM
.........sorry Don, when you showed it to me I thought you said it came to you that way!:Surprised: Along with the eyes the hearing just ain't what it used to be either....:ROFL:

Well done Don, I got a few that need a new paint job, what are your rates???????????

bachiboy
08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
.........sorry Don, when you showed it to me I thought you said it came to you that way!:Surprised: Along with the eyes the hearing just ain't what it used to be either....:ROFL:

Well done Don, I got a few that need a new paint job, what are your rates???????????

Ahhh, for you John, I give you cheap cheap. Very special price...buy none get one free!:Secret:

BTW...went out yesterday for a 'quickie' and stuck a flattie on that custom job. Had no way of getting it up the wall I was standing on cuz it was barely hooked. Thought about bouncing it but it wasn't gonna hold, so was about to pull out the camera and take a picture but it flopped off. Looked to be right around legal. Arthur said it doesn't count without picture proof...so I guess it didn't really happen. :LOL::Wink:

Nipple Twister
08-23-2012, 04:34 AM
Ahhh, for you John, I give you cheap cheap. Very special price...buy none get one free!:Secret:

ok, cool.........I will get some fresh "blanks" to start.........hmmmmm,..........lol

Nice job and A+ effort this week huh? Thanks for the update and yeah me too, been well versed on that "no pic" policy............hehehehehe.......keeps the honest ones honest.... ;0

bsp
08-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Don,

Entry into SWaT is entry into SWAT, no matter how you do it! Not everybody can have the glory of a legal WSB or striper entrance, and landing a big YFC is still a solid accomplishment out of the surf! Great work and glad to see you on the team, we're definitely a better group because of it!

Look forward to fishing with you soon,

Marc

bachiboy
08-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Don,

Entry into SWaT is entry into SWAT, no matter how you do it! Not everybody can have the glory of a legal WSB or striper entrance, and landing a big YFC is still a solid accomplishment out of the surf! Great work and glad to see you on the team, we're definitely a better group because of it!

Look forward to fishing with you soon,

Marc

Thanks Marc! Wow, very kind words. I'm actually shocked that everyone has been very supportive and complimenting...I fully expected everyone to jump on the 'Colonel Croaker' bandwagon.:LOL: Looking forward to meeting you at HG4!

bsp
08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Don, you'll always be Corporal Croaker to me.... :Envious:

Wingnut
08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Don, you'll always be Corporal Croaker to me.... :Envious:

Hey Marc, have Yuri ask Don the "Million Dollar" question... :ROFL:

I haven't hit the surf since June 10th! :Shocked: Lieutenant Bones and I have plans to hit the tentative HG4 event site tomorrow morning. :Secret: Hope I still remember how to cast the LC. :LOL:

BTW, Albert (Jinbow) lost a big fish near where he caught his toad Calico this morning... snapped his line! :mad:

bachiboy
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

I haven't hit the surf since June 10th! :Shocked: Lieutenant Bones and I have plans to hit the tentative HG4 event site tomorrow morning. :Secret: Hope I still remember how to cast the LC. :LOL:

BTW, Albert (Jinbow) lost a big fish near where he caught his toad Calico this morning... snapped his line! :mad:

I just read this now. No wonder when I went yesterday I didn't get a bite. There was a fish out there sporting new jewelry telling the other fish, "look out for these damn LCs swimmin 'round here...they bite back!" :LOL:

Which Way Out
08-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Hummmmmmmmm do we need to send reinforcements?
WWO

flyngby
08-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Don,

Sorry for the late response but I have been out on some covert missions of my own that involve water but no fish!

Congrats and welcome to the "SWAT Brotherhood"

As for your ranking, it will be discussed at the HGIV Event! I look forward to meeting you and your son fishing with the kidde pole.

Steve

OOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YURI is going to be at the event!

flyhigh123
08-27-2012, 11:07 PM
whats swat?

bachiboy
08-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Don,

Sorry for the late response but I have been out on some covert missions of my own that involve water but no fish!

Congrats and welcome to the "SWAT Brotherhood"

As for your ranking, it will be discussed at the HGIV Event! I look forward to meeting you and your son fishing with the kidde pole.

Steve

OOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YURI is going to be at the event!

Thanks Steve! Seems like my ranking is up for debate. :Wink:

So, what's the deal here? Bones invite Yuri to give me a "proper" induction into SWAT?:Spank::Bug Eyes: Okay...I'm officially scared now!:Shocked:

iLLest
08-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Don,

I've been MIA for a while and havent gotten the chance to get on much..
Just wanted to say Welcome to the family bro!
Very well done :Cool:

bachiboy
08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Don,

I've been MIA for a while and havent gotten the chance to get on much..
Just wanted to say Welcome to the family bro!
Very well done :Cool:

Thanks Frank! Hope you get a chance to come out to HG4. Looking forward to meeting all the SWAT and FNN members in person that I've gotten to know through the forums.

Captain_hook
10-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Awsome catches man great day fishing today all though nuthing good :/ but hopefully thurs or Friday will be a better day n ill post thanks for the tips btw!!

bachiboy
10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Awsome catches man great day fishing today all though nuthing good :/ but hopefully thurs or Friday will be a better day n ill post thanks for the tips btw!!

:ROFL: Man that didn't take long. I just left you at the beach. You coulda picked a more recent post. :LOL: J/K. Great fishing with you today. I just got called for some work but if I finish it up in the next couple days, maybe I'll see you out there again Friday.

Tight lines Robert!!!
Don

flyngby
11-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Don,

It was great to meet and Welcome you and the other newly inducted into the brother/sisterhood at HG4. It has been a tough year for me to get out and enjoy my off work time in the suds but making the event was very special to see most all of us together and all of the smiles on the faces of every one that attended!

Look forward to hitting the waters soon with my friends!

Steve

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/fireman1.gif

skunked4life
08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Congratulations don!!!! Guess what??? I did it too! With the same fish! Hahahahaha ha!!!! Sorry for the late response! Happy belated anniversary croaker brother!

Corporal croaker.