PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Pier

Rjrolyn
08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Has anyone fished Balboa Pier lately.... Thinking of bringing my son for some pier fishing and was wondering if anyone heard any info if the Bonitas made a showing yet. Thanka in advance

5150fishn
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
I hit it last Saturday night and a week or two before that and haven't seen any as of yet. The macks came back after a couple week abscense. Those fishing for them had buckets full. I fished heavier gear and landed 3 batrays to about 15 or 20 pounds. The YFC and perch were being caught in pretty solid numbers also. I fished the evening from 10pm till midnight so I have no idea what has been going on during the day.

DockRat
08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Welcome to FNN.
DR

AddictedFisher23
08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Went there Friday night 8/24 heading into low tide (10PM-1AM) ...but that was only time I could fish. Got skunked...not even one mackeral. Lots of bait fish in the water and it looked like a school of mackeral chasing the bait fish but they seemed big enough to be bonito. Lots of nice croakers being caught at the surf with shrimp and sand crabs. Saw one small Hali pulled up at the end of the pier and a couple sand sharks. Trying to stock up on catfish bait but this was the first time being skunked when fishing for mackeral (had a sabiki rig with squid set up)

5150fishn
08-26-2012, 08:42 PM
I hit it again on Sat. 8/25 and had the same results as AddictedFisher23, big fat skunk! Wow how things change from one week to the next. Very few mackeral caught and a few perch was the extent of what I saw. Really slow but it beat sitting at home watching TV!