PDA

View Full Version : Barracuda Fishing: Strike Two!

Ambassadorhawg
08-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Gave the Garrrr another shot today. It's been such and one and off year for these things that I figured any day is as good as any other to try instead of trying to follow a bite pattern. Anyway, they were a no show again. My daughter and I whacked the heck out of the Sculpin, though. The boat (Monte Carlo) sat on one spot the whole time and we just picked away. Kept one nice limit and released many others. Mostly, I'd hook up and hand it to her to reel in although she did manage to hook and land several by herself.

The hot bait is a swimbait on a 1oz leadhead with a strip of squid. We also caught a few on a dropper loop with strips. The boat recommended tying a sinker to the bottom and having one or two swimbaits above it which worked well for lots of people. I'm sure the boat limited out. Heck, we probably caught at least 20-25 legals between us and another 15 or so shorts.

The weather was nice. Breezy with some mild wind chop but no real swell to speak of.

'hawg out

JapanRon
08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi Ambassadorhawg,

Good getting out for sure. Sorry you didn't manage to hit the gar !! Monte usually does pretty good although I don't think you got a fair shake on the skippering !!

Heard some grumblings on one particular skipper ... I won't mention here !! Let me say this and Jackpot Jimmy MAY back me up to a high percentage....... no boat ... be it half or three-quarter day has any business setting in one spot the entire time of a trip !! Here's the issues,

Not everyone likes to fish for or wants one certain species of fish. Even if it's called a 'whatever' trip. Also, no single fishery should be hit so hard exclusively and locally !!
Skippers should had plan A, B, and C. WO bite on Sandies done in two hours ... then what !!
Skipper should be thinking about the board money. 5 fish per patron on a limit of Sculpin ... pretty sad wouldn't you say !!
Not everyone has or has brought the right gear for what's considered an alternate species when the target species is a no-go.
Typically, the one spot stop has another element ..... skipper often never shows their face 'on-deck'.

I'm sorry but ....... catching 20 to 30 legals and culling
All day on Sculpin !!! Five fish limit should not take all day !!
Shouldn't be stopped on one .... Sculpin spot when it's Bass and Barracuda season without at least trying the usual targets first !!

Just my few cents worth. Don't usually try to second guess the skippers but when the evidence is just too overwhelming !!!

I'm sorry but ..... catching 20 or 30 legal fish could mean you're catching fish for others ... cool ... or you're culling .... which I avoid by stopping fishing for the targeted species after one or two over or just taking a break. My personal preference but ..... I don't fish just to see the numbers grow as many folks do !!

Your buddy,

JapanRon

TUNAVIC
08-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I concur!

Cya Tuna Vic