PDA

View Full Version : LBC Legal Hali!!!

dlmoo312
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
8/11/12

I haven't gone fishing in a while now and when I learned Thien(bloox8) would be hitting long beach, I knew I had to make some time to join in :Smile: Woke up at 4am and started the drive north from San Diego. I only had my revo sx with me and it was spooled up with 6lb izor. I decided to set up the dropshot and we started to fish. We started out catching a few shorts and lizard fish, and I was stoked to just be catching fish, period :LOL: Then, a couple of hours into fishing, I got a heavy hit. I could feel that it was a nice sized fish and all I could think about was my 6lb line holding up. When it started taking its first run, I immediately lightened my drag. I was not about to take any chances!! I carefully worked the fish in and as it surfaced we all knew it was a legal! I couldn't believe it. Luckily our friend had a net handy. You could feel the tension as Thien missed the first couple of net attempts, but he succeeded in netting the fish and we all celebrated:Envious:

The fish measured out to 25" and I decided to take it with me to LA. My parents were happily surprised :Smile:

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_3865.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_5953.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_7383.jpg

Enjoyed dinner with the parents and headed back down to sd.
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_0161.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/dlmoo312/IMG_3313.jpg

Can't wait for HGIV! Hope to see everyone there and until then, tight lines!

Ian
08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Great job!

Don't you have better fishing in SD than LB? Is that a Basstrix?

reelgurlzfish
08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
wow great catch! right in my hood too. :-D

fishshep
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Congrats. on your Legal !!!! :Big Grin:

Looks yummy too :Smile:

Wingnut
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Great job on the legal Hali Daniel, very well done. Seems like forever since I saw one of those myself. :Envious:
The food pics looks great! :Big Grin:

frankjz
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey way to go! We both caught legals today. How cool is that!

fz

ichthus
08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
beautiful fish! Congrats!

iLLest
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Dude, nice hali!
Your trek from SD to LA then back to SD all to catch some quality fish sound like some of our swat outings... :LOL:
keep up the good work bro.

bachiboy
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Great job landing that on 6lb.! Musta made your folks REAL happy with some great eats.

Congrats!
Don

Which Way Out
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Good job Daniel. I bet the parents were happy to see you even without the fish. Great Bonus with a fish like that.
Next time call them and say you need a bigger knife....:Rolls Eyes: Very nice work on the filet job as well.

WWO

bloox8
08-14-2012, 08:29 PM
DUDE!!! Congrats again!! :Death2Above:

This fish totally owned all the shorts I've been catching lately. I would trade a dozen shorts for one of those babies any day :LOL:
You definitely deserve this one man :Big Grin: I know you've gone through a ton of dead days but I am glad it finally paid off lol
Hopefully it'll be my turn next :Wink:

Thien

Newfishsmell
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Nice one, and on 6lb ... WOW
I bet that sure makes that long drive all worthwhile.

dlmoo312
08-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Great job!

Don't you have better fishing in SD than LB? Is that a Basstrix?

Thanks! I haven't fished the san diego beaches much, but now that it's summertime and I have some more free time I'll be trying it out.

wow great catch! right in my hood too. :-D

Thank you! I like to stop by to fish around that area whenever i'm traveling between sd and la :Smile:

Congrats. on your Legal !!!! :Big Grin:

Looks yummy too :Smile:

Thanks! It was delicious!

Great job on the legal Hali Daniel, very well done. Seems like forever since I saw one of those myself. :Envious:
The food pics looks great! :Big Grin:

Thanks Arthur! I hope you get to spend some time out on the sand soon. It was my first time cooking halibut and tried a variation of your halibut kabob recipe. They turned great, thanks! Also, is it safe to eat these fish raw without any special preparation? I've always wondered about this..

Hey way to go! We both caught legals today. How cool is that!

fz

Haha thank you! Congrats on your legal! It was the first time I witnessed halibut surfacing to feed. There was a large amount of bait present and we would see the halibut come up every few minutes. Lucky for us, I guess they were hungry that day! :LOL:

beautiful fish! Congrats!

Thank you!

Dude, nice hali!
Your trek from SD to LA then back to SD all to catch some quality fish sound like some of our swat outings... :LOL:
keep up the good work bro.

Thanks, i'm always willing to travel if it means I get to fish! :Big Grin: you never know when you'll get a great catch!

Great job landing that on 6lb.! Musta made your folks REAL happy with some great eats.

Congrats!
Don

Haha it was definitely a tense battle knowing I was using 6lb, but very rewarding. It's been a long time since I brought any fish home from my outings and I was happy I was able to bring them a legal halibut :Big Grin:

Good job Daniel. I bet the parents were happy to see you even without the fish. Great Bonus with a fish like that.
Next time call them and say you need a bigger knife....:Rolls Eyes: Very nice work on the filet job as well.

WWO

Haha yes, they are always happy whenever I come to visit. It was nice bringing home dinner this time :Smile: A bigger knife would have helped :LOL:

DUDE!!! Congrats again!! :Death2Above:

This fish totally owned all the shorts I've been catching lately. I would trade a dozen shorts for one of those babies any day :LOL:
You definitely deserve this one man :Big Grin: I know you've gone through a ton of dead days but I am glad it finally paid off lol
Hopefully it'll be my turn next :Wink:

Thien

Lol you definitely deserve a legal from that spot. I know you'll get yours soon! And I take back what I said about a dozen shorts over a legal :LOL: I thought about it and I may have been delusional due to the heat

Nice one, and on 6lb ... WOW
I bet that sure makes that long drive all worthwhile.

It sure did! Even with all the traffic we hit on our way back, all I could think about was the great day of fishing we just had.