PDA

View Full Version : 8-13-12 Perris, Ramona Expressway Closed, Got in anyways. + Silverwood

QB7940
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Fished Silverwood last Saturday, used a tandem rig near the weed edge looking for crappie. No takers but picked up some largemouth and some small striper schoolies hunting the bass fry. That lake is a ZOO. Horrible boating etiquette, also had to wait in line for an hour cause the lake was full.

On the way to bernasconi today Ramona Expressway was shutdown starting at the middle school. Not sure what happened but I remember hearing about some epic storms over the weekend in the area, even a tornado sighting. I drove to Nuevo and found that part of Ramona closed as well. Being in the moment, I took the drive down a dirt road going through some fields located south of ramona. After crossing the San Jacinto River I came across the reason why they shut down Ramona. There were 15-20 electric poles completely on their side. I had to drive over the wires to continue down the road that eventually led to Ramona. Parked at the gate cause it wasnt open and walked in. Only fished for 1.5 hours because I was afraid they would tow my truck or write me up a ticket. Left the fish biting! Probably wont be able to access ramona the rest of the week so its the boat the rest of the week.
Dragged jigs underneath the shad schools to pick up these boys. Slow and steady waiting for that light tap.

From Friday's trip on the Bass Tracker.

fishmounter
08-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Nice fish, especially the LP crappie. What's that red BPS bag thing doing in that 1st crappie pic? You know, all you guys that may catch one of those giant crappie should probably take it into the marina and have it weighed. There is no record kept for a lake-record crappie (don't know why, possibly because they were never "officially" stocked by the state, but neither were the Largemouths). I'm pretty sure I could have held that record with an 18 inch fish that I released, and I know of another 18 inch crappie caught also. I'll bet if someone brings in a 3 pound fish or larger, the marina would record it... if they ever got a certified scale. They had one for years.

QB7940
08-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice fish, especially the LP crappie. What's that red BPS bag thing doing in that 1st crappie pic? You know, all you guys that may catch one of those giant crappie should probably take it into the marina and have it weighed. There is no record kept for a lake-record crappie (don't know why, possibly because they were never "officially" stocked by the state, but neither were the Largemouths). I'm pretty sure I could have held that record with an 18 inch fish that I released, and I know of another 18 inch crappie caught also. I'll bet if someone brings in a 3 pound fish or larger, the marina would record it... if they ever got a certified scale. They had one for years.

Thanks! The red BPS bag is what I keep my phone in, took the phone out to take a picture. The bag is from a pack of slip bobbers I used last summer. Yeah I've thought about running over there to the marina, a lot of these fish beat their tails in the live well and what was a 17-18inch loses a half inch to inch at the end of the day.

jw4Bassing
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Parked at the gate cause it wasnt open and walked in.

Is the lake closed and did you see any boaters on the lake before you left? I'm planning on hitting Perris tomorrow and I don't want to be turned away and any info will be appreciated.

Also, congrats on your catch of Crappies.

Tight Lines....

JW

QB7940
08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Is the lake closed and did you see any boaters on the lake before you left? I'm planning on hitting Perris tomorrow and I don't want to be turned away and any info will be appreciated.

Also, congrats on your catch of Crappies.

Tight Lines....

JW

Thanks JW, The lake is still open, hope you had a good one!

Tom
08-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Crappie were stocked in the lake when it was opened...they never took hold somewhere in the late 80s-early 90s Inland empire Bass masters (i was a member) were holding tourneys at lake silverwood and vail lake,,,,then bringing the fish to lake Perris in the live wells and letting them go in lake Perris (large mouth and Crappie)
The Largemouth completely Destroyed the Spotted bass fishery A World class Spotted Bass fishery

Fish and game did stock Crappie and Spotted bass when they opened the lake..the crappie for some reason never lasted when they stocked them..we caught them for about a year and they disappeared.
Tom