PDA

View Full Version : Aztec 2 day 8/9 - 8/10

Cabin Fever
08-13-2012, 06:06 AM
It's been a while since I've had anything to report but now I can. Took my son on a 2 day 976tuna charter to try for some bluefin. 25 on board as we left the dock a little before 9:00 p.m. and headed straight for the tuna grounds. Started fishing about 6:00 am. Around 7:00 chaos breaks loose and everyone goes bendo. A lot of nice Bluefins hit the deck as we turned the deck into a bloody mess. After that bite died we spent the rest of the the day chasing schools or bluefin and putting several more on deck. Total for day one was around 77 bluefins up to 45 lbs.
Day 2 started back at the tuna pens hoping to pick up another big school. We had a quick flury on our first school and then spent the rest of the morning chasing other schools and picking up a few more fishing. The decision was made to head north and look for paddies which resulted in some dodos and yellowtails hitting the deck. Total for the trip was around 94 bluefin, 10 dodos and 8 yellowtails.
All in all it was a very good trip, both my son and I brought home
bluefin and I had a couple of yellowtails.

I can't say enough how much I was impressed with the boat and crew. The boat is clean and comfortable and fishes well, Captain Mike knows his stuff and always works to put us on fish, and the crew of Nate, Sean and Johno worked their butts off. Big thanks to all involved with this charter

midgettosser1
08-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for sharing. Headed out on a 2 day this friday. Hoping to have a trip like yours. Lots of nice mixed bags in the counts. Can't wait!

HawgStalker
08-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Thats a whole bunch of tasty fish right there! Sounds and looks like you guys had a great trip......

Thanks for sharing!

Cartman
08-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the great report. Sounds like a fantastic trip and glowing recommendation. Had you done this type of fishing before, and did you have the gear for catching fish like that? It looks exciting, but I don't think I own anything I could use nor do I have any idea how to catch fish like that. Didn't you get seasick being out there for two days? Both of you look fine in the pictures. I imagine I would look a little worse for wear after all that.

Cabin Fever
08-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the great report. Sounds like a fantastic trip and glowing recommendation. Had you done this type of fishing before, and did you have the gear for catching fish like that? It looks exciting, but I don't think I own anything I could use nor do I have any idea how to catch fish like that. Didn't you get seasick being out there for two days? Both of you look fine in the pictures. I imagine I would look a little worse for wear after all that.

We have done overnight albacore trips before so we had the gear. If you dont have your own gear, you can rent it from the landing. Deck hands on a good boat are more than willing to help and coach you, they want you to have a good time and comeback. Just let them know that this is your first time. Seasickness is usually not an issue for me, I just try not to stay up all night and make sure I get some sleep.

Cabin Fever
08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks for sharing. Headed out on a 2 day this friday. Hoping to have a trip like yours. Lots of nice mixed bags in the counts. Can't wait!

Make sure you bring along a 20# rig along with some small hooks (#1 and 1/0) in addition to your regular stuff. quite a few fish were caught on the light stuff when the bite got picky.

JapanRon
08-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Hi Cabin Fever,

Excellent recap. Nice goin' on the fishys.

Thanks,

JapanRon

midgettosser1
08-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Make sure you bring along a 20# rig along with some small hooks (#1 and 1/0) in addition to your regular stuff. quite a few fish were caught on the light stuff when the bite got picky.

thanks for the info, I was actually gonna ask you if I needed to bring a light rig.

DockRat
08-15-2012, 06:57 AM
Great trip and pics. Thanks for the post.
DR

fishfinder
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Mmmmmm Sushi

flyhigh123
08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
What # test are you using on your normal rig?

Cabin Fever
08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
What # test are you using on your normal rig?

I used my 25# mostly, occasionally my 30# when things got scratchy I dropped down to 20# with a fluoro leader.