PDA

View Full Version : Wide open bite at perris friday afternoon...with a bonus!!

Pete Marino
08-11-2012, 12:30 AM
So I was sitting around on Friday afternoon not doing anything when my bro Barry called me to talk and I told him that if he got off work early we'd go to Perris for some afternoon fishing.. Because of our schedules, we havent been able to fish as much for the last few months with the exception of the Castaic tournament we did a few weeks ago... But we hadnt been FUN FISHING for a while... Even though we were fun fishing we still fished hard like we were in a tournament but thats how we roll!! lol
He was literally at my house less then an hour later.... We arrived at about 3 pm and off we went.. I told him that Ive been crushing the bass and he couldnt wait to get out there with me to see for himself what Ive been talking about... So we pulled up to our first spot and I drop the troller and fire out a cast to show him how Ive been catching them. LITERALLY within 10seconds...IM ON as I swing a solid 3 lber in the boat...This was his facial expression...:Shocked: Then as he is setting up his bait...IM ON AGAIN...and I swing another one into the boat. And his expression changed to...:EyePop: lol
Then he makes a cast right where I tell him to and tick tick...he swings and HES ON.. and he lips a solid 3lber.. so he now looks like this...:Big Smile: lol..
We literally went back and forth on catches most of the afternoon.. Most of the bass were in the 2 1/2-3 1/2 lb range... BUT Barry did catch the first SPOTTED BASS I seen caught at Perris in over 5 years....YES SPOTTED BASS..and a NICE 4 lber at that.. It had the teeth on its tongue, smaller mouth and jaw that didnt extend past the eye, FAT stomach, long body and he never jumped once it just stayed down like a Spottie. The teeth on the tongue were the dead giveaway, then the obvious smaller jaw... After he caught it I mentioned that it stayed down just like a spotted bass would and it looked like a FAT Spottie then we felt the tongue and sure enough there were teeth on its tongue JUST LIKE A SPOTTIE HAS... At VERY LEAST IT WAS A SPOTTIE CROSSBREED with largemouth. Largemouth dont have the smaller jaw that doesnt pass its eye, and they surely dont have the teeth on their tongues like Spotties do. So that was a treat!!!
After he caught that 4 lber, he did what most of us nutcase bass anglers would do, he threw it back and kept casting...lol And kept catching bass..
So we went back and forth for a while more and then I hooked into a "good one" and into the boat came my Nice 4 1/2 lb Perris Largemouth..:Envious:
Then we traded blows bass for bass for the next while... hed get one, Id get one, then Id get another and then hed get 2, then me again etc.. etc.. Then Barry hooked into another good one and into the boat came another 4 1/2-5 lber!! Nice!!!! Those were our biggest 3 bass of the day...the rest of the bass were 2 1/2- 3 1/2 lbs with the occasional 1 1/2- 2lber. Our goal for the day was 20 bass each.. and by 7:20pm I was at 24 bass and Barry was at 22 bass=== 46 bass total in 4 1/2 hours!!!!!
All of our bass were caught in 47-52 ft of water.... most were on dropshot although I switched it up a couple times and caught a couple on the carolina rig and a couple on the tailspin....

Here is the pic of the 4.1 lb Spottie that Barry caught.. The picture doesnt really do it justice but this bass had every characteristic of a Spottie.. From the jaw, to the slender body with fat belly, to the VERY DISTINCT teeth on its tongue.. If its not a full blood spottie its definetly a crossbreed..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/9430CAB0-69FC-4DA9-9428-BD5EDFD4CC4B.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/1DB65304-31E6-4494-858A-9FDEF2B9E412.jpg

Here is a description of a spottie..
"CHARACTERISTICS: Also known as Kentucky bass, the spotted bass is a slender fish with black blotches along the middle of the body; with age, these join to form an irregular band. Hubbs and Bailey (1940) recognize two subspecies in Alabama. Micropterus punctulatus punctulatus occurs in the Tennessee River and has 58 to 71 lateral line scales and 22 to 27 scales around the caudal peduncle. Micropterus p. henshalli is limited to the upper Mobile basin and has 68 to 77 lateral line scales and 26 to 29 caudal peduncle scales. Intergrades are distributed below the Fall Line in the Mobile basin. In 2008, Baker et al. elevated Micropterus p. henshalli to species status, M. henshalli, with the common name of Alabama bass. Both species and their intergrades have a large mouth, the upper jaw extending almost to the rear margin of the eye. A rectangular tooth patch on the tongue distinguishes these species from largemouth bass. The dorsal fin has nine to 11 (usually 10) spines and 11 to 13 rays that are broadly joined. The anal fin has three spines and nine to 11 rays. The body is olive green on the back with scattered dark mottling. The sides below the lateral blotches are light gray; many scales have dark spots forming horizontal rows. The venter is white. Juveniles have a black spot in the middle of the caudal fin base bordered by bright orange areas.
A convenient way to distinguish between a largemouth bass and a spotted bass is by the size of the mouth. A spotted bass will resemble a largemouth bass in coloration but will have a smaller mouth."

Heres a couple pics of my 4lb largemouth you can clearly see how much bigger the mouth is on this largemouth and they weighed the same basically within a few ounces..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/67458B42-D463-4CE8-8340-BDD7AA1C33F9.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/023AE1E8-64F0-4E17-85A8-2477BEEFE7E8.jpg

GUYS THE BITE OUT THERE IS AWESOME!!! Call me and book your trip and Ill show you what I mean... Theres no reason to struggle this time of year....I know where they are, what baits to use and I know how to catch them...

Pete:Cool:

PeteMarinoGuideService.com

HawgStalker
08-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Pete.... Man your reports are always so thorough and descriptive, I feel like I was on the boat with you guys! They are a great read everytime.... Cant wait for the pics!

Thanks for the report!

tree
08-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Nice report! Glad you had a "fun" day out there. Killed it!

Surfer
08-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Nice there's still spotted bass in Perris. If there's still spotted bass in Perris maybe there's still corvina in the Salton Sea. Who knows...

HawgZWylde
08-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Man that's some serious eye candy Pete. Haha, between the three posts in one week a couple weeks ago and this one, dude you are the biggest tease this side of the Mississippi except for my wife, lol. Nice job Pete, you certainly know your waters. Still doing the grind over here at DVL. Had some smallies come out and play last Wednesday. Still trying to talk my partner into going to Perris. You guys are having too much fun man...

Pete Marino
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks Guys!!
HawgZWylde let me know when you are ready for some Perris slayage!! Lets just say youll have to see it to truely appreaciate the different bites Im on.. THE TIME IS NOW!!!

Pete